ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tubes Advice  (Read 115127 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: New Tubes Advice
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, I don't think/recall you've ever tried some Mullard new issues in your MP2, (a humble suggestion) give them a go (allegedly great in a MP1 also, they are very nice, warm and so 3D (what I like the best)), you've been playing long enough to really truly appreciate these tubes (I recon).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Do I have to buy tubes that are matched for my MP1?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

My understanding of matched 12AX7s is they're matched for equal gain so while you can used matched pairs in your MP1, you don't have to (e.g. some put 2 different tubes in MP1/2 V1 and V2 for a particular sound/result).  Maybe a different story for the 3TM though (from MJMP: The 3TM works best with all 3 tubes balanced)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

From Doug's Tubes FAQs:
Balanced:  When the plate current draw of each triode is the same, we refer to that as having balanced triodes.
 [/size]High Gain:  Tubes that measured to have higher gain.
[/size]Matched:  Each triode of the preamp tube has matching gain.
[/size]And more:
[/size]Dual triode preamp tubes like the 12AX7 really have two separate tubes inside one glass envelope. When the plate current draw of each triode is the same(as evaluated by our VTV testers), we refer to that as having balanced triodes. These may or may not also have the same gain on each triode but are still considered balanced. Chances are that these are not required for your particular circuit. What we have observed after testing 1000's of preamp tubes using the Vacuum Tube Valley dual triode characterizer is that tubes with balanced triodes seem to be more consistent with a standard specification tube as to gain and low noise and microphonics.

GonadiusPrime

• Everything I say is a lie
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

My preference was the EHs.  They, to me, had the best chord definition while distorted and playing non-power chords.  Most other tubes seem to lose the non root-5th-root notes except the EHs.  But, that's just me and my personal preference.
Everything I say is true

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Nice to hear a vote for EH tubes, my 2nd MP2 came with a pair, they didn't stay in there long. I've been having a good run with Mullard long plate re-issues, they recently released a short plate version which would work well in a MP1.  Next tube change I'll try them.

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Do I have to buy tubes that are matched for my MP1?

No.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

I settled on Penta 12AX7B's in my MP-1 - from Doug's Tubes:

Warm, fat tone that is signature of the Chinese tubes, these are selected Shuguang 9th generation 12AX7's. Great for all musical genres. For more clean headroom in your amp, order this tube with the low gain option at no extra cost.(Similar to a 5751 in gain). Also known as the Groove Tubes 12AX7-C.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

There are lots of tubes that work and sound good in MP1/2s, my personal fav in MP1 are JJs (particularly the Boogie STRs which are usually JJs), and Mullard long plate re-issues in MP2 (very nice 3 D tubes).  There are now Mullard short plate re-issues, which should be very good in both MP2 and MP1 (including 3TM as very low microphonics, MJMP advises short plate tubes are better for 3TM..).  One thing I'd say about the Mullards, they are very 3D tubes, hard to really understand until you try them

El Chiguete

« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Are these the ones that the chart in this thread refers as the top 2 higher gain Mullard and Tung-Sol?

http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-12ax7.html
http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-cv4004-12ax7.html

or
http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/tung-sol-12ax7-re-issue.html
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Yes I think so as the Mullard re-issues are Russian made although the short plate variant (cv4004) is a new release.  However, while the chart is useful as a starting point, tubes of the same type can vary quite a bit.  Hence GT, Boogie, Dougs etc test and select.  From the chart you'd think the Mullards are the highest gain tube around, they may have been for their tests but there are other high gain (probably higher than Mullards) tubes around.

rickeb1

« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

I'd been using JJs in my 3TM for some time and was pretty happy with them.  But when I recently retubed the unit, it was suggested to me to try the long-plate Sovteks, 12AX7-LPS.  In comparison to the JJs, the LPS sounded thicker and meatier to me, so I kept them.  Maybe worth a look.  There is a review here:
http://www.thetubestore.com/12AX7-Tube-Review#sovtek2

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

I've heard some good things about the Sovtecks also, although MJMP was reticent about long-plate in the 3TM from a noise perspective as short plates are typically less microphonic/noisy.  They all have their character though, e.g. I love the 3D ness of the Mullards but thicker and meatier sounds like a good idea  >:D

George I.

« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

JJ only has ECC83S short plates

not to contradict you, but on the chart on the 2nd page there's clearly a JJ long plate denoted!  possibly you mistyped?

also, i have a fewJJ long plates  in my tube collection...i dont love them in the MP1...too round sounding to MY ears, and not spikey enough in the upper registers (i find my ears want those higher high later in life! LOL ).  i like an edgier, crunchier distortion...preferrably from a decently performing Chinese 12ax7b...though the jjecc83s will do in a pinch, i dont love them.  i have yet to REALLY get into a tube rolling situation in my mp1...i've owned a few, the mp2, and a classic...always came back to the mp1.  i debate modding my current one...it's in the least, due for a recap as all of the caps in it are originals.

too many options, not enough time!
« Last Edit: Time Format by George I. »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

JJ ECC83S are short plate tubes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up