ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old-school spring reverb vs modern digital  (Read 3453 times)

vansinn

I've gotten somewhat tired of programming reverbs for guitar.
No, it's not that those aren't sexy, but I feel adding larger verbs are better done on the DAW.

I'm thinking of buying a medium-large Hammond sproing unit, build some electronics for it, and simply hook it in the MP-2 loop.
This of course would mean lack of ability to set the verb size - but wait! I could easily mod the loop dry/wet mix to do send-level control instead, and the return as fixed mix-in.

Anyone else using sproing-sproing spring reverb?
Which spring unit and size?

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: Old-school spring reverb vs modern digital
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Interesting idea.  I just wanted to add that whenever I needed replacement spring reverb tanks, I got them from Accutronics. :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

All my Fender amps have those reverb circuits in them. Definitely the long reverb, I wouldn't waste any time with the short spring boxes.
As Kim said, Accutronics is the standard for spring reverbs. I had three spare tanks in case I needed them, but I think I might have sold them off.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

vansinn

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Regarding spring size and sound/vibrations affecting them..
Once upon a time, I had a small Teisco combo amp, where I replaced the crap short spring with a medium-long Hammond spring assy.
I build a simple wooden box with acoustic cushion for the Hammond, and now had a most lovely vibrant reverb, totally unaffected by mechanical vibrations or sound pressure.

Also, I'm thinking of adding a soft-knee limiter to the driver to avoid the spring going sproing-sproing ;)
Hmnn.. ::) why not turn my MP-2 into a 2U box with build-in spring reverb, directly connected to the loop; it's just a matter of creating a new bulging-up lid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up