Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

Rack Development

(1/12) > >>

rabidgerry:
Ok guy's, changed my setup to what I had said I was going to.

UK/Ireland Rack Rig:
Power Conditioner
Power Amp              (Rocktron Velocity)
Noise Gate               (Boss NS-50)
Pre-amp                  (MP1 or Rockmaster)
FX Unit                    (Boss GX700)
Midi Control             (Behringer FCB1010)

Took me a very long time to program the FCB1010 the way I wanted to.  I go on tour next week and I was hoping to get it all sorted so I could take the new setup on the road with me.  Spent most of this week battling the FCB1010.  Had it pretty much programmed they I wanted but I had issues with the god dam expression pedals.  To summarize they were acting totally broken and as though they needed calibration.  They did not.  The way they were behaving also seemed as though they were suffering from a known issue where the optical sensor that operates the expression pedals was too sensitive and basically screwing up.  I spent a long time trying the few fixes that are out there but to no avail.

It turned out I had programmed a little bit of conflicting instructions into the 1010 that was causing haywire behaviour but I had a eureka moment last night and got it sorted!

Tomorrow I test it all out in the live / rehearsal situation.

Few question for you all and any help is appreciated.

Should I try my best to isolate my gear to prevent ground loops?  The reason I ask, is because now I've added another piece of rack gear to my rig and another power supply I am getting a hum.  It can barely be detected with noise gates etc working, but I'd like to try resolve it or reduce it as best I can.

Should I use my ground isolator (ART Clean box II) which has sorted the issue in the past by having my send from FX unit run through it first before going into my pre amp?

also should I do any of what this guy is doing on this website?

https://aperioguitar.com/2012/02/23/grounding-fizz-and-cable/

Any advice is appreciated.

rabidgerry:
No one got nothing to add on isolating units within racks to eliminate hum then?

MarshallJMP:
It sometimes helps and sometimes makes it worse. Some of my rack units are isolated, some are not.

Kim:
I just screw everything in without isolators initially.  If there's a problem after that, then I determine which unit or units need to be isolated.

rnolan:
Hey RG, it also depends on what's causing the hum, isolating works (I suspect) with ground loops which can be very tricky to pin point.  But it can also be caused by gain structure issues, and as is the case with my IPS33, mechanical vibration from the transformer into the case/lid.
The link you posted is a good one, he makes lots of sense and provides good advice.  Seems I'm lucky with my rack, I haven't done anything special, some of my cables are good quality, some are just the multi colour ones you buy in packs of 8 (or whatever), these are ok in the rack coz they don't get connected/disconnected, with these cheap cables, the plugs aren't soldered, the cables attachment is held in place by the plastic molding.  I do my best to keep power leads away from signal leads.  Once I have everything plugged in, I tidy the leads with cable ties.
Maybe to track this hum down you should turn the noise gates off ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version