ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Something Brutal this way commeth .  (Read 9804 times)

Hymnofotherspheres

Something Brutal this way commeth .
« on: Time Format »

:wave:Greetings of peace and power from lower Manhattan ! I'm Hymnofotherspheres . It's a pleasure to be a new member , looking forward to meeting everyone and gaining more knowledge about the mp1 . Gear : ADA mp1( original) , Peavey Rock master preamp , Engl 920 stereo power amp , Engl XXL 4/12 stereo cab. Real name's Cliff   8)

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
Re: Something Brutal this way commeth .
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well Hi, and welcome  :thumb-up:
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey

Welcome to the depot.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Cliff, welcome to the depot, nice gear BTW.  What revision is your MP1 (should show on boot/power on) firmware ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Welcome Cliff!

Nice to have ya along

Hymnofotherspheres

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey Cliff, welcome to the depot, nice gear BTW.  What revision is your MP1 (should show on boot/power on) firmware ?
. Hi and thanks for all the greetings , this is going to be a very cool experience ! My mp1 has revision 2.01 . I picked it up for 50.00 , thought it needed a new tube transformer but possibly only needs new tubes . The tube / distortion presets don't work , ss/ clean presets are fine .

Hymnofotherspheres

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Welcome Cliff!

Nice to have ya along
  Thank you Dante

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Did you send me an email for a new tranny?(Cliff)

RandallRG

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Cliff hey Dude welcome to the Depot! It's a Awesome place with plenty of Dudes to help out with any issues or questions etc that you might have. Take it easy...Steve   :metal:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Cliff, hope it's just new tubes you need, SS wouldn't work if no power but the tubes also need heater filament power (MJMPs territory, possible transformer problem ?).  Unusual for tubes just to not work, they tend to degrade (slowly) but generally just sound more shabby (though they can just not work, but both of them ?? and if so why ??).
The 2.01 is the last EPROM upgrade so your on the latest version.  If you are going for a new transformer, the MDRT is a good idea, while it's more expensive it's a good and worth while mod (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).
Do the tubes light up/glow when you power it on ??, if so there may be a different problem.

It will probably need new tubes though regardless, many choices and good discussion elsewhere on the depot, for MP1 I'd go with low noise high gain JJs (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/jj-ecc83.html) or short plate Mullards (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-cv4004-12ax7.html), the Mullards are a more 3D tube IMHO, but very subjective area tube choice.
Any way for $50 you've bought one of the best tube preamps ever made and definitely worth getting it going.
Cheers Richard

Hymnofotherspheres

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Thank  you I have a few JJs around which I'll use for the mp1 as well as the rockmaster . The RM is being moded this week also . I tried new jjs in the mp1 with the same results , ss presets work clean and with effects but no distortion .  The self diagnosis function doesn't initialize it after 8 seconds , so there is a problem , I have to switch it on again . I just want to make certain a transformer is what's needed ,  think I might have my tech look at it before proceeding although I wanted to do it myself if possible .  :thumb-up:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Hymnofotherspheres »

Hymnofotherspheres

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Did you send me an email for a new tranny?(Cliff)
.  Not yet Marshall , I'll have my tech take a look at it after I get the rockmaster back .hu

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Unfortunately it sounds like issues in the MP1, I'm not convinced it's a transformer issue or you'd have no power at all.  Do the tubes light up (glow?), if so, my guess is it's not the tranny (MDRT is still a good idea though).  Again more MJMP/Sparker territory  :bow:   Get your tech to check it out, schematics etc on here to assist.  If you want to chase it through yourself (no doubt will need a multimeter), MJMP can talk you through it.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

You can check if you have 190Vac on the red connector on the tubeboard.Or if you want to play safe,power off,pull the red connector off the tubeboard and measure the resistance.Should be below 800 ohms.

Hymnofotherspheres

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

You can check if you have 190Vac on the red connector on the tubeboard.Or if you want to play safe,power off,pull the red connector off the tubeboard and measure the resistance.Should be below 800 ohms.
I'll have to check it out . Thank you
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up