ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Spare  (Read 2569 times)

MikeB

The Spare
« on: Time Format »

A funny thing happened at work two weeks ago.  I was having a break and checked my email.  I got some Line 6 spam.  They were pushing this new all-singing-all-dancing thing and one of the selling points was that it was a good option for a spare/backup or fly-rig.  I was checking it out and it looked pretty nifty but about AUD$1000.  It got me thinking about the fact that I don't have a spare/backup for my mp1.  I then checked out the new MP stomp options (App1, Channel) and they left me feeling like they were not really what I was after.  Then I did something that I do every now and then and I checked to see if someone in Australia was selling an MP1 (hey, you have to have hope!).  Nothing, but there were a couple listed for sale in the US.  One in particular caught my eye.  At face value it was a stock, working MP1 in good condition for US$250.  The new eBay global shipping thing was enabled that had conversion to AUD and shipping etc.  no more "US shipping only".  It looked pretty reasonable.  I would be able to have this thing delivered for under AUD$500.  The seller assured me that he had recently been playing it and it sounded great. So I did it!!

It arrived today.  It is 110V so I can't try it out until Sunday when I go Richard's place and I can plug it into his step-down transformer.  Externally it looks pretty clean.  Some scratches on the covers.  Very little rack rash on the ears (almost none).  I cracked it open and had a look.  I'm pretty happy so far.  Internally it almost looks like NOS.  Seems to have never been touched.  There is a 2.01 EPROM and what I suspect may be the original tubes.  Check out the pics:

I don't feel tardy!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: The Spare
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Mike, good score  :thumb-up: , looks very clean and a later (no top switch) version.  They do look like the original tubes.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Looks really nice. But now you will need a backup for the backup  >:D

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Good point MJMP  :headbanger:

MikeB

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

:facepalm: I'm trapped!!
I don't feel tardy!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

NICE!!

Way to go, Mike. Now, don't be too surprised if it doesn't sound exactly like your 'main' rig. Just work with whatcha got, pure tubey goodness  :thumb-up:

MikeB

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

First run was a bit stressful, because one channel was intermittent and seemed to be affected by chorus settings. Pots and jacks were scratchy. Richard and I ended up with the opinion that it really needed a good clean before coming to any conclusions.
Post-clean, I ran it through a headphone amp so I wouldn't disturb my wife who was watching her stories.  The headphone amp then started having intermittent one channel problems (what is this? A conspiracy?). So yesterday I substituted it into my main rig and it sounds awesome!  :headbanger:
I'm going to set up a system so that I can do a definitive side-by-side comparison. My initial feeling is that this one may actually have what it takes to be numero uno. Not sure how I feel about that.

I don't feel tardy!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Mike, good news  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: it all works.  Nothing like a good clean.  Also those original tubes are still going strong.The side by side comparison will be interesting, probably easiest to do at my place and use one of the mixers  :dunno: . I've also got a A/B, A+B switch to switch the inputs.
This also brings up the question do 117v US models sound better than the 230v equivalent?  I say this because my US MP2 and US MP1 both sound so sweet.  Anyway we will no doubt chat at length about it LoL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up