ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Rockmaster  (Read 10984 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Peavey Rockmaster
« on: Time Format »

Hi guy's just letting you hear some noodling around and noise from the Peavey Rockmaster.  I dunno what anyone thinks of these pre's on here but I really love them since I have owned mine and they have a superb simplicity to them and massive amount of tone on offer.  I'll do as much variety as I can over the next while.  So far I have clean and Ultra Gain clips.

Gain here has push pull knob engaged for extra boost, gain knob is at 5.8 (not quite at 6)
Bottom about 6.5  Body 3 (push pull not engaged) Edge 7

Guitar is a Squier Showmaster with dp100 in the bridge.  Boss GT5 providing reverb and nothing else.  EPSI providing speaker impulse.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
Re: Peavey Rockmaster
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Some new riffs I I'm working on.  I haven't nailed this yet and it hurts my fingers at the moment so I will need practice to get over that and make it smoother.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

some clean.  The clean channel on this is really nice.  Not often I give a shit about clean.

setting are all in the middle bar the presence which is up full.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yeah that Rockmaster sounds F'ing sweet! :thumb-up: Excelllent tone! :bow:

I like the ultra gain riff! Love the gallups :metal:
Clean 2 sounds like an Irish jig :banana-guitar: lol...I know I should have expected it from you! :lol:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Yeah I love the tone.  I don't scoop really.  Most people I have read about scoop the hell out of this preamp and then complain that it's fizzy.  Well some people should learn how to EQ  :facepalm:

The push pull in the Body control, gives a different tonality again.  So I should record with that pulled out.  It adds a tonne of low mid range.  It becomes even more gutsy.  You can then adjust the edge and bottom controls to suit the shift engaged.  I really like it and it's a simple preamp, althought it has so many effects loops its actually a bit crazy!!!

Feel wise it feels a bit stiffer to play than the 3TM, but not in a bad way.  I'm sure if you wanted a stickier feel certain tubes would change that.  What I have in there at the moment are 1 EHX in the front and the rest are the stock chinese valves from what I can see.

I don't normally play anything clean, but I feel I ignore that side of playing pretty much %100.

I didn't think it sounded Irish traditional at all  :lol:  I have never played anything at all like that, I swear I haven't the faintest idea how to.  Made that up for an intro a long time ago but I can't remember it exactly so I had to just play it they way I thought it went.  May be it is and Irish sounding, I may be would have said "folkish"?  Open to suggestions.  I hate Irish trad music, but I like medieval sounding stuff of classical.  None of which I can play either.

Even though I don't play anything like that, I still think that is a great clean tone from a crazy hi gain monster preamp.  I just wanted to show that it can have a nice clean sound and is not just a gain machine.  It pretty much covers clean, lo, medium and hi gain.  More clips on the way when I get a chance.

Perhaps Richard might like the clean tone?  Anyone like the clean sound?  Last time I bother with that shit  :dunno:  :lol:
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

kawai2g4b

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I have a rockmaster myself (in fact it's sitting in place of my MP1, which is in for repair). I tend to favor my les Paul-ish instruments with it. And you are right Rabidgerry, you have to keep the midrange strong on the ultra channels.  I tend to back off the highs a little on my brighter guitars as the highs tend to overshadow the rest of the tone on it. The cleans are great but a good brighter analog delay really completes the clean channel.

I use my Aria Pro lc-550 with it normally and can get a really brutal tone with the right EQ settings. 
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I have a rockmaster myself (in fact it's sitting in place of my MP1, which is in for repair). I tend to favor my les Paul-ish instruments with it. And you are right Rabidgerry, you have to keep the midrange strong on the ultra channels.  I tend to back off the highs a little on my brighter guitars as the highs tend to overshadow the rest of the tone on it. The cleans are great but a good brighter analog delay really completes the clean channel.

I use my Aria Pro lc-550 with it normally and can get a really brutal tone with the right EQ settings.

Yeah I could hear a nice delay going on that clean channel and complimenting, but only if I was wanting a delay effect.  I still liked how it sounded off the bat though with a subtle bit of reverb like my clips.  I mean I hadn't done anything to that EQ, just bumped the presence up.  Also the speaker selection and mic position can factor in a lot, I just kept it the same as what I did the gain stuff at.  I personnaly would be very happy with that clean tone.

I've noticed some setups can sound too bright and yes you need to keep the edge control in check.  However I noticed with the setup and speaker I was using I was able to dial in a lot more than I ever had with the rockmaster.  I used to only ever have it at like 2.5ish.  I was up to 7 when I did those clips.

Soloist

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Your clean tone sounds great. Way better than the cleans I get out of my JMP1.
That clean riff would make and excellent intro, add some chorus and delay and your good to go! :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

May be I will :)  Chorus has to be my fav effect.  I pretty much use a subtle stereo chorus live for my entire set now.  Different degrees of it.

Will record some more later.  I should do a track up again using the rockmaster.

Soloist, have you come across any yet on ebay?

Soloist

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

The 2 I found they want $250. Waiting for a better price.
Chorus I use almost always as well. If not chorus then a pitch shifter/detuner for a chorus effect.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The 2 I found they want $250. Waiting for a better price.
Chorus I use almost always as well. If not chorus then a pitch shifter/detuner for a chorus effect.

No way!!!

Me n you.....we is the same...............

There is only one guitar in my band and personally having a stereo effect on the guitar the whole time makes it sound better in my opinion.   I have two main setting of chorus. One that makes a chorus sound, but subtle.  Then another that is purely for givin stereo width but doesn't sound too heavily chorus chorus if you know what I mean?

Usually I use a delay unit and delay one side but I'm operating on that unit at the moment trying to install a bypass.  I really must get that fixed  :dunno:

I also dabble with the harmonizer on my Boss, I don't care what anyone says, I like it.  It too can create that detuner effect that's pretty chorus esque.

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Just picked one of these up a few weeks ago from the "as is" pile at Trading Musician in Seattle.  $70, a few knobs/pots busted BUT still functional if you grab a pair of pliers.

This thing sounds MASSIVE.  Gets your 5150 tones with the Ultra pulled out.  I run it through my 40 watt Bogner power amp and it sounds HUGE.  Only problem is I had a power failure in my office the other day and I'm pretty sure it blew out the V1 tube.  Cracked the top open and it was a Mesa 12AX7 Russian 2.  I had a few other tubes around that I swapped in and out, but nope, that little Mesa is where the beef comes from.  The other 3 are Sovteks of some sort.  I went ahead and ordered a replacement via NessTone, but I'm very excited to put this in my studio rack and get some hi gain modern tones out of it.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Well I'm chasing a 3rd so I know what you mean!  I put a cool mod in one of mine that acts as a lo pass filter and helps tame the hi's should you be recording DI like me.  I have two tung sols in T1 and T2 then two cryo JJ's in T3 and T4.  Been messing with cap mods to allow more Lo end through also but nothing permanent as yet.  This preamp is what I've built my tone around for the last 5-6 years.

I use with either a Koch ATR4502 or a Peavey Classic 50/50.

PS If anyone knows what year the classic 50/50 amps are from I would love to know.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Aren't they from the 50's ? LoL
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Well I'm chasing a 3rd so I know what you mean!  I put a cool mod in one of mine that acts as a lo pass filter and helps tame the hi's should you be recording DI like me.  I have two tung sols in T1 and T2 then two cryo JJ's in T3 and T4.  Been messing with cap mods to allow more Lo end through also but nothing permanent as yet.  This preamp is what I've built my tone around for the last 5-6 years.

RE: JJ tubes.

When I took my unit in to get serviced (turned out all it needed was a bit of cleaning and works fine now), the tech said JJs are some of the worst tubes you can buy and they fry your circuit boards or something to that effect?  Have any of you guys ever heard of such a thing?  I swapped my GTs in my '89 MP1 with JJs and haven't noticed any problems outside of more noise due to the higher gain.

I'm fairly certain my guy doesn't get a commission or a kickback from selling GTs or any other tube; most of his business comes from repairs and maintenance, so I don't think he's just trying to upsell his partner brands for the kickback incentive.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up