Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

Is it the speaker? Is it the cab?

(1/7) > >>

Dante:
I've been really happy with this little stack (pic below). The two 1x12s get the job done without breaking my back and sounded great at an outside gig a couple weeks ago (one on each side of the stage). That said, if anything, the rig has a bright tone. Not 'white noise on top' bright, but not dark at all....kinda like the highs are fine, but the hi-mids may be too strong. Whatever, again, it sounds great and I can get girth with the amp.

FFWD to a jam at my buddy's house the other day: I played through my H&K Switchblade 50 combo and it sounded massive. I thought it was the room (we were in a basement) but it sounds the same today in my bedroom. I did upgrade the speaker in that thing to a WGS that is supposed to be a V30 clone with a smoother top end. I'd say that's an accurate description, none of the brittle tops of the v30 that I don't like. (pic below)

Just for kicks, I fashioned a speaker cable (male to female) to use the combo as a speaker cab with my head. The results were the same, sounds massive. Sounds way better, and much closer to what I'm used to. So....is it the speaker, or is it the cabinet?

I guess the only way to know is to yank the speaker out of the combo (not fun, you gotta take it all apart to get there), and put it into one of my Yamaha cabs. Or, I could just lug around the combo (it's HEAVY) as a speaker cab and have a backup amp already in place.

I'm leaning towards just lugging around the beast, always have a backup  :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Dante,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the combo is open-back, and the Yamaha cabs are closed-back?

If so, can you remove the back on the cabs and try it? You may be getting the ambient speaker sound reflecting off the walls creating that difference you're hearing.

That would be where I'd start.

Harley 8)

Dante:
Harley - Yup. The combo has a panel on the back that doesn't close it off completely and the little cabs are sealed tight. I wonder if that'll do it, I'll try taking the back off one today to see. Thanks  :thumb-up:

rnolan:
Hey Dante, that the combo has a panel that doesn't close off completely it's kind of a "tuned port" so you may find that taking the back of your Yamaha sealed cabs is too much  :dunno: and you may need to just provide a slit similar to the combo to achieve a similar affect.  The size of the opening/slit is usually tuned to the speakers resonant frequency.  Of course the WGS may just be a speaker more to you taste regardless. 

So typically there are 3 main cab designs: 
Open back 
Tuned/Ported   
Sealed 

The speaker surround (where it attaches to the frame) is generally different (stiffer and more robust for open back situations as there is no air suspension for the cone).  The surround can be less stiff and thus slightly more responsive for sealed and ported cabs as both provide air suspension for the cone. 

However, I wouldn't be surprised if you discover it's mostly the speaker difference.  I had a Yamaha quad box a while ago and I was never particularly enamoured with the speakers.  I put a couple of really old Plesey 12U 50's in it and they sounded much better.

Dante:
I am familiar with the partial back design - and I'm assuming that taking the whole back off will be too bright, or not boomy enough (for lack of a better term)

My plan is to try it just cracked, see how it sounds, then try it completely off, then cut a bit of wood to make a partial back and see how I do

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version