ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?  (Read 61226 times)

Chamai

Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« on: Time Format »

I just want to know if anyone boost their mp1's before the preamp?

i do a lot of palm muting and i feel that I don't get a tight enough sound without a boost pedal of some sort. the mp1 has more than enough gain for me, but its lacking the tightness and gain compression.

right now i am using a tube screamer in the front with gain set to 0. this gives me the tightness when i palm mute. but it does change the sound of the ada.

i would love to know what people use to give the mp1 a little more punch.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I had pretty good results boosting my Mod3.1 with an MXR GT-OD...
While not altering the overall character of the MP1 it gives a boost and adds a certain depth (not oomph)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai, interesting question, I put nothing in front (and I'd avoid anything that doesn't give me an analogue pass threw (I try not to digitize my sound but add/mix in digital FX)), also (and I also do allot of palm muting) I've never had an issue with MP1/2 in that regard  :???: .  Tubes can make a difference here (what are you using ??). BTW (being clinical) tubes don't typically compress (i.e. reduce dynamic range, they have a very wide dynamic range), but they can be driven to clip (distortion is what we do  >:D ) which has a dynamic range (compression like) effect (if you think about it).
I do know that when you run allot of gain, you need to control it with both left and right hand muting (but hey, I grew up with Marshalls, no master volume control, learn to drive or squeal like a pig LOL)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chamai

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

thanks for the write up rnolan.
I guess I am just after a certain type of sound that needs the amp to be overdriven/boost a little. again, im not going after more distortion. I run my jcm 900 with a tube screamer as well. i guess i just love the tube screamer.

i do want to avoid having pedals in the front coz i want to keep my ada setup and all rack rig. i tried using my gsp 21 pro in the loop to overdrive the mp1, but it sounds really thin if i do that. all the bass is gone. im looking for a rack overdrive (not preamp) that i can put infront of the ada. here is my setup right now:

guitar --> tube screamer (0 gain) -->mxr 10 band eq --> ada mp1 --loop--> digitech dsp21 pro --> 31 band eq

really wanna replace that tube screamer with a rack effect! im opened to suggestions.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chamai

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I had pretty good results boosting my Mod3.1 with an MXR GT-OD...
While not altering the overall character of the MP1 it gives a boost and adds a certain depth (not oomph)

any experience using a treble boost instead of a od?
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Anyone who uses a wah pedal before their MP1 (sorry I'm being glib LOL)

RobbHell

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I use passive pickups and use a compressor before the ADA and a Eq in the loop. Heavy palm muting is no problem.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

With my original mp-1 i used to use a boss GE-7 eq with a reversed smiley (mid boost).

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

thanks for the write up rnolan.
I guess I am just after a certain type of sound that needs the amp to be overdriven/boost a little. again, im not going after more distortion. I run my jcm 900 with a tube screamer as well. i guess i just love the tube screamer.

i do want to avoid having pedals in the front coz i want to keep my ada setup and all rack rig. i tried using my gsp 21 pro in the loop to overdrive the mp1, but it sounds really thin if i do that. all the bass is gone. im looking for a rack overdrive (not preamp) that i can put infront of the ada. here is my setup right now:

guitar --> tube screamer (0 gain) -->mxr 10 band eq --> ada mp1 --loop--> digitech dsp21 pro --> 31 band eq

really wanna replace that tube screamer with a rack effect! im opened to suggestions.
I've tried to replace my old Tubescreamer since 1991 with all kinds of gear (rack gear included). It's the one pedal I still have

kawai2g4b

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I will boost it with one of my on board guitar preamps, a la BC Rich (though I don't have an actual one), and manipulate the varitone circuit for EQ shaping.  Works like a charm with the MP-1.  I just got an old Yamaha Overdrive pedal and will try it through the MP-1 for you guys.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

Chamai

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

thinking of getting a boss sd 1 for the front. i have a tube screamer. its too warm and muddy sounding for me. i want to get a little more sharpness.

there is a few furman pq 3's for sale locally. i heard some guys put those infront of the mp1 for boost. anyone here tried it?
n   
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai, I've always liked MP1/2 how they are and never wanted to put something in front, but whatever gets the tone you want. You could add the tube screamer in the MP1 loop, not quite 3TM but then similar in some ways  >:D . You could try a bit more presence/treb for sharpness ?
Cheers R

Chamai

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Chamai, I've always liked MP1/2 how they are and never wanted to put something in front, but whatever gets the tone you want. You could add the tube screamer in the MP1 loop, not quite 3TM but then similar in some ways  >:D . You could try a bit more presence/treb for sharpness ?
Cheers R

i prob just like high gain sounding stuff. just wondering, since i have 2 mp1's, is there a way where i can hook up my 2nd mp1 to the 1st to use as a boost?
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

IIRC Alex Skolnik used an MP-1 in front of a 50W Marshall JCM900 for Souls, The Ritual and Handful of Rain....
Some Quotes:

How did you get your tone on the Testament album Souls of Black?

For some reason, more people ask about this sound than any other. It was my usual rig at that time which consisted of an ADA MP1 Preamp and Marshall JCM 900. I think any Marshall head will do, the only thing is it has to be set clean, as all your overdrive comes from the MP1. Usually preamps are put through power-amps, not Marshall heads, so doing it this way creates a lot of overdrive and it's a very noisy rig. But the sound was worth it. You shouldn't have too much overdrive on the MP1 either; a little bit goes a long way. Also, a pretty even balance between bass, mid and treble, not too much presence.

From "Guitar fro the Practicing Musician 12/94" (Savage Handful Of Rain era):

"Rhythm parts were played by both Jon and Alex using Criss Oliva's old Charvel Jackson guitar, dubbed "the Gargoyle." According to Alex, this guitar has the distinct sound of Savatage. "We had six rhythm tracks for each song, all with different guitars. Usually we ended up going for a track of the Gargoyle and a track of my Ibanez in the background," he recounts. "The Gargoyle sounded best each time for the rhythm tone, but the lead sound was my guitar and tone. A lot of rhythms were going straight through an amp Jon gave me, one of the best sounding Marshalls I've ever heard. When I ran my gear through it, we got a wide variety of tone. Depending on the dynamics, it reminded me of quiet Beck or when cranked up, like early Van Halen, which is my favorite tone in the world. This 50-watt JCM 900 from Thoroughbred Music was a dream amp. When Jon gave it to me I was speechless. I don't know if I want to take it out on the road because it sounds so good. It might just be a studio head."

"The result is that this record has some of the best tone I've ever gotten," Alex claims. "We ran it through the ADA MP-1 preamp, which I've used for years. Running through the ADA added a richer sustain sound, which is better for solos. In fact all I brought for this trip was a guitar and preamp -- there was my sound. I like a little dirt. I mean, I love Allan Holdsworth's playing -- he is a revolutionary player -- but he is so clean it's almost non-human. I apprecaite what Steve Vai does as well, but it's perfect. That's cool, but somehow Eddie Van Halen -- especially the early stuff -- there's this touch of dirt. There's a touch of slop that makes it more human. It sounds like it's on the edge. I like that."

Duke of Metal

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I used to use (and still do sometimes) an MXR Microamp (white single dial booster).  I used it with my MP-1 3TM when I had Duncan Distortion SH-6B in my lespaul.  But after I swapped them out for Duncan Blackouts, I didn't the MXR As much anymore. I still have it and have the dial set very very low.  You barely hear a difference.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up