ADA Depot Too - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jackson JX3  (Read 263 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
    • View Profile
Jackson JX3
« on: Time Format »

Jackson JX3 preamp, anyone here ever tried one of these?
From what I can tell they were made for Jackson by Laney, 2 channel non midi controllable. However I can use the relay in my G major 2 for changing channels and activating the boost function. Picked one up real cheap, should have it in a day or so. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with one.
Live Rig:
Preamps -ADA MP1-ADA MP2-Marshall JMP1-Radial Tonebone Hot British
Post Effects -TC Electronic G Major2-TC Electronics G Force-BBE 482i
Pre Effects -Boss NS 2-Boss GE 7-Ibanez TS9-MXR M108
Mixing/Switching -Alesis Multimix8-Voodoo Lab GCP-Voodoo Lab Amp Selector
Power - ADA MT200-Mesa 50/50-Voodoo Lab ISO5 Pedal Power-Furman RP8-Livewire PC1100
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-ESP MH103QM-Ibanez RG3XXV
Cabs -4 2x12 ADA Split Stacks

rnolan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Jackson JX3
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Soloist, never came across them myself, seems ok from the couple of youtube clips I watched.  Be interesting to hear what you think when you get it up and going.
Studio Rig: MP2/MB1 > Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro > TC M-One XL > Behringer Truths (with Truth Sub) / QUAD ESL 63s
Live Rig: MP2/MB1 > Alesis Quadverb > Alesis Midiverb 4 > Yamaha AM802 > B200s/Carvin TS100/DCM200L > ADA Split Stacks/Mesa P112s

Soloist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Ok Richard, I picked up the Jackson preamp today and ran it through my rig for a couple hours.  :headbanger:

First a little description:
2 channel each with independent tone controls and levels.
Stereo master line outs and stereo cab sim line outs.
Fx loop, mono in stereo out.
Bright switch and a boost switch they call a shred switch, with a second gain knob.
Dual 12ax7 tubes.
2 additional rear jacks, one for channel switching the other to engage the boost function.

Preliminary findings:
The clean channel (channel A) is a very nice clean channel.
Can get a nice low gain tone ala David Gilmour by pushing it with either a Boss SD1 or an Ibanez Tube Screammer.
Channel B is your typical 80's metal tone ala Glenn Tipton. Good bite to it, really makes pinch harmonics jump out at you.
Distortion isn't really that adjustable. No real difference from 6 to 10. The shred button also has a gain knob. To me it doesn't really add more gain but it adds some more saturation to it, plus about a 5db boost.
So far it seems like a decent preamp especially for $50. It was well taken care of, clean as a whistle with 2 new Stovek tubes in it.Do I like it better than my Mp1...no. Do I like it better than my Mp2....no. I would say it's as good as my JMP1.

Short comings:
Tone controls are kinda limited imo. I would like more adjustment but an eq helps get what I want.
Not impressed with the fx loop. Luckily I don't need it fx run through the loop in my rack mixer.
Kind of a 2 trick pony due to the lack of super high gain.
With bright switch off to me it's too dark on either channel.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 7. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Power - ADA MT200-Mesa 50/50-Voodoo Lab ISO5 Pedal Power-Furman RP8-Livewire PC1100
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-ESP MH103QM-Ibanez RG3XXV

rnolan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Soloist, good to know  :wave: .  Listening to a couple YT clips demoing it I had some similar reactions (not that they were very thorough)  but as you say, not a bad score for $50 (which is close to what 2 Sovtecs would cost LoL). One clip I listened to played a little clean stuff which I thought was quite a decent clean sound.  And the pinch squeals were nice and prominent (as you say, jump out at you) particularly on the other clip.

Thanks for the heads up  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: MP2/MB1 > Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro > TC M-One XL > Behringer Truths (with Truth Sub) / QUAD ESL 63s
Live Rig: MP2/MB1 > Alesis Quadverb > Alesis Midiverb 4 > Yamaha AM802 > B200s/Carvin TS100/DCM200L > ADA Split Stacks/Mesa P112s

MarshallJMP

• View Profile
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Nice I always thought these where solid state preamps?

Soloist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Nice I always thought these where solid state preamps?
I belive it mostly is,  the same way the JMP1 is. Tubes add some sizzle and warmth to it. However I think the JMP is more flexible.
Live Rig:
Pages: [1]   Go Up