ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack vs. Pedals vs. ..what?!  (Read 5643 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Rack vs. Pedals vs. ..what?!
« on: Time Format »

Full disclosure:  I used to hate using pedal FX.   But I'm going to guess that was probably because I wasn't using them correctly back then.... ::)   Batteries being sucked dry waaay too soon, walwart power supplies offering plenty of Ground Loop hum, tone suckage, etc.   But lately I've been reaching out a bit for some pedals for some special purposes that my preamp and fx unit can't give by themselves.  So, then I figured a Poll was in order to see how others do.   Vote away!   

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Rack vs. Pedals vs. ..what?!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

well I use an FX unit on the floor and preamp and amp in my rack.

I have an idea for expanding my rack but basically I'm limited due to foreign travel for gigs like I'm playing in Malta next year.

So I may have to have a more localized rack (and I dunno if there is any point to this or not) and foreign travel light weight rack.  Currently my rack is the travel lightweight 3u rack with floor FX.

My possible idea is to have a half rack+EQ half rack noise gate, amp, MFX, preamp and amp all in a rack and use midi control pedal however I dunno if their is any point.  I have all the stuff I just haven't built it.

I have:
Boss SX700
Boss NS-50+Boss GE-21
Preamp (have multiple choice here)
Harley Benton GPA400
Furman PC
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

For delay and chorus, I always prefer to go rack-less tap dancing.  For other modulation like phaser or flange I have stompboxes in a detachable rack shelf that sits on the floor along with my tuner, wah, A/B, and an additional chorus just in case I want it.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I gave up pedals many, many years ago, best thing I ever did.  I only have the MXC pedal pack at my feet (1 x MXC, 1 x CC pedal (assigned to MP-2 master vol), 1 x quad switch) connected with the 7 pin midi cable.  MP-2 has wah, comp, 9 band eq (as well as normal b,m, t and pres), 10 all tube voices (from clean to part your hair), noise gate, chorus, tremolo, cab sims and stereo parallel Fx loop.  Quad switch can be assigned to toggle any of the Fx.  Then my Quadverb does delays and reverb (and also lots of other things I don't bother with eg flange, phase, Leslie, more eq  :facepalm: , etc). I also used to use the IPS33 smart shift, but I took it out of the rack as I hardly ever use it these days.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up