ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: New rack complete!  (Read 59281 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
Re: New rack complete!
« Reply #105 on: Time Format »

And next you guys need to try a MP-2  >:D , a very different beast... LoL

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You're the Devil...  :lol:

Well Richard I just may have to give the MP2 a shot - all of my other MP-1s are giving issues and I'm not having much fun. So maybe with a different design I'll have better luck  :)
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #106 on: Time Format »

And next you guys need to try a MP-2  >:D , a very different beast... LoL

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You're the Devil...  :lol:

Oh.....did we forget to warn you about him?!?  I hate when that happens :lol:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #107 on: Time Format »

Harley, you say the nicest things  :metal: LoL  ;) >:D .

Hey DjC, here's one that SC sent the link to (https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/msg/6006447168.html) IMHO, a MP-2 in decent working order with the MXC pedal pack at $450 USD is a decent deal.  Now with MP-2s there is no replacement transformer (like MDRT for MP-1/MB-1 which works with either 110v, 117v or 240v). So you need to be cognoscente of the units voltage. I'd be tempted to buy this one except it's US voltage (Florida), and I already have a couple of MP-2s  :facepalm: .
Now you have 2 RUs spare, an MP-2 and a 1RU line mixer (with stereo Fx send/return), do a Y split of the guitar signal say after your tuner, or A/B A+B switch (so both MP-1/2 inputs fed), outs to line mixer, FX works on both, use patches to control each of them (on/off/both/clean/dirty etc), line mixer to poweramp  :whoohoo!: .

Or you could go the MP-1 Classic which is a bit like a MP-1  :dunno: but with some of the added extras that came with MP-2, and are (if I understand correctly) the last/latest ADA midi preamps made.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #108 on: Time Format »

I'm already talking to that guy about the Classic  >:D

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #109 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, cool  :thumb-up: and it comes with a MXC pedal pack  :whoohoo!: (which I quite like).

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #110 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, cool  :thumb-up: and it comes with a MXC pedal pack  :whoohoo!: (which I quite like).

Yeah, but that's overkill for the Classic Richard, a MPC would do nicely for that, but since I have two MP-2's the MXC won't go to waste  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #111 on: Time Format »

And I didn't know that  :dunno: LoL... (Add another quad switch to the fire, cook me up some bacon and some beans....) woops we are getting off topic (as seems our way  :facepalm: ). Hey glad you got back online my friend  :thumb-up: , missed you here....

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #112 on: Time Format »

Harley, you say the nicest things  :metal: LoL  ;) >:D .

Hey DjC, here's one that SC sent the link to (https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/msg/6006447168.html) IMHO, a MP-2 in decent working order with the MXC pedal pack at $450 USD is a decent deal.  Now with MP-2s there is no replacement transformer (like MDRT for MP-1/MB-1 which works with either 110v, 117v or 240v). So you need to be cognoscente of the units voltage. I'd be tempted to buy this one except it's US voltage (Florida), and I already have a couple of MP-2s  :facepalm: .
Now you have 2 RUs spare, an MP-2 and a 1RU line mixer (with stereo Fx send/return), do a Y split of the guitar signal say after your tuner, or A/B A+B switch (so both MP-1/2 inputs fed), outs to line mixer, FX works on both, use patches to control each of them (on/off/both/clean/dirty etc), line mixer to poweramp  :whoohoo!: .

Or you could go the MP-1 Classic which is a bit like a MP-1  :dunno: but with some of the added extras that came with MP-2, and are (if I understand correctly) the last/latest ADA midi preamps made.

OK good info Richard; I love the MP-1 ones but I need something reliable out of nine MP-1s Jason and I now have I wouldn't trust one of them to play live let alone take on the road. My last hope is that MJMP was able to do some magic and get the one we sent back in working order  :-\
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #113 on: Time Format »

OK good info Richard; I love the MP-1 ones but I need something reliable out of nine MP-1s Jason and I now have I wouldn't trust one of them to play live let alone take on the road. My last hope is that MJMP was able to do some magic and get the one we sent back in working order  :-\

Damn the bad luck.  I don't recall ever having problems with any of my MP-1s that kept me from gigging them. It was always dodgy patch cables, bum guitar cords, or bogus electrical outlets, etc. that caused me the most grief.  But then again...these units weren't quite as old back then as they are now.

I have all the faith that MJMP will get all that sorted for you.   :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #114 on: Time Format »

Hey Dan,

I agree with Kim, MJMP knows his stuff, and he has been around on the Forum forever, so he has been involved with everything that has gone on here, from simple repairs to the hottest mods.

Although I don't believe the age of these machines plays more than a small role with the issues you are experiencing. I believe it has more to do with the amount of abuse some people do to these preamps. As with any electronic gear, you have to use a reasonable amount of good sense when handling and hooking up these things.

Harley 8)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #115 on: Time Format »

Caps wear out, resistors go outta specs, pots get scratchy (and also wear out).
The new noise mod as well as some (expertly) addressed TLC goes a long way!
By using higher quality/better spec'd components (Caps, resistors) you can easily extend the lifespan of these units beyond...
Been there-done that....
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #116 on: Time Format »

Hey Dan,

I agree with Kim, MJMP knows his stuff, and he has been around on the Forum forever, so he has been involved with everything that has gone on here, from simple repairs to the hottest mods.

Although I don't believe the age of these machines plays more than a small role with the issues you are experiencing. I believe it has more to do with the amount of abuse some people do to these preamps. As with any electronic gear, you have to use a reasonable amount of good sense when handling and hooking up these things.

Harley 8)

Well I used to build racks for people back in the late 80's so I know my way around with these things. These issues come right down to the age of these units for sure. Several of these have not been power up or used for over a decade and as mentioned earlier about caps and various issues is what seems to causing many of the problems. Add to that the dishonesty of the majority of the sellers claiming "they have had the unit since it was new" and me finding out after the sale that bought it last year and wasn't aware of the history.

Many of you as have mentioned have had and use your ADAs since you got them so there has not been a lot of down time and that's not the case with these units. I have faith in MJMP, he has one of units right now but I would have never thought I would has this many issues returning to my ADAs.
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #117 on: Time Format »

Hey Dan,

I started building racks at the same time you did, and of course there will be component failure to some degree, I agree with that. A lot of my gear, I've owned since the late 80's, early 90's, and there hasn't been a lot to mention there. Now the stuff we buy from Evil-bay is a different issue altogether. If you basically take the view point that all sellers of used gear over the internet are liars, and you'll find out the truth when you get it in your hands, then there is no shock. You already know what to expect.
    I'm talking about people who do stupid things to equipment like this. I'll give you an example. About 12-13 years ago, I was talking with a guy in Alabama who was selling a Quad, just like the one Kim has, it all sounded good until he told me he was running the output of another amp head into the front panel input! I walked away from it right there. I knew he overloaded the input circuit, and was having problems with it now, and that was why he was selling it. People don't sell things that are working for them. Just like a used car.

Harley 8)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #118 on: Time Format »

Hey Dan,

I started building racks at the same time you did, and of course there will be component failure to some degree, I agree with that. A lot of my gear, I've owned since the late 80's, early 90's, and there hasn't been a lot to mention there. Now the stuff we buy from Evil-bay is a different issue altogether. If you basically take the view point that all sellers of used gear over the internet are liars, and you'll find out the truth when you get it in your hands, then there is no shock. You already know what to expect.
    I'm talking about people who do stupid things to equipment like this. I'll give you an example. About 12-13 years ago, I was talking with a guy in Alabama who was selling a Quad, just like the one Kim has, it all sounded good until he told me he was running the output of another amp head into the front panel input! I walked away from it right there. I knew he overloaded the input circuit, and was having problems with it now, and that was why he was selling it. People don't sell things that are working for them. Just like a used car.

Harley 8)

Wow that would cook that unit for sure  :lol:
But I see your point Harley.

Yeah this has not been too much fun and I am now jealous of all of you that have proper working ADAs. My buddy Jason and I have officially stopped buying any more ADAs. My main unit I have called the Holy Grail is a complete mess ( see pic ) and is not useable. The gain even on 10 sounds like a Marshall JMP, kind of a mild overdrive and now in goes into this mod after a few minutes.

Anyway, I just realized that I have hijacked my own thread with all this repair related issues. Amazing how excited I was with my rack just a couple weeks back and now the only unit left without issues is the one I sent to Philippe.  :-[
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #119 on: Time Format »

This could be a power supply issue.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up