ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MP 1 and tubes! Which ones, and why  (Read 32487 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: MP 1 and tubes! Which ones, and why
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Yes it's not because you buy a new tube that it can't fail.I once had a tube that lasted 3 seconds, then a high pitched sound and it was dead. So yes it can happen that they fail fast. And some tubes keeps going forever. It's still a mechanical construction that can fail. So it's not because they are new that they can't fail in short period of use.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, the last comment from MJMP (and I concur) is it may be power supply but then that was for all the 0s' you got on the display...  decent tubes should last many years and go off very slowly. Now it seems in 3TM they burn a bit brighter ? MJMP likes to keep reasonably (less than one month old IIRC) new Ruby JJs in his 3TM (a bit like having new strings  >:D ).  Hey, no New Sensor Mullard long plates in your several sets of tubes  :facepalm: , at least try one pair LoL.
Hey that's not to say you don't get a dud tube from time to time.

Yep these - http://www.dougstubes.com/mullard-12ax7.html  :thumb-up:

I'm looking forward to test driving all these new tubes  :banana:

Also as many of you have stated on here, I have had many sets of bad tubes right out of the box. Back in 95' I ordered a whole new set of Mesa 6L6 STR 440's and two were bad, Boogie was great about returning them though. Other times I had mom & pop stores I bought from absolutely refuse to give me a refund or exchange on tubes   >:( but luckily it seems places on the net are pretty easy to work with and want to make you happy so hopefully I won't have any problems.   :???:
« Last Edit: Time Format by DannyjoeCarter »
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I'm looking forward to your reaction to them also  :thumb-up: , I see my review is in there as well  :whoohoo!: .
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I'm looking forward to your reaction to them also  :thumb-up: , I see my review is in there as well  :whoohoo!: .

Yes I'm very curious myself Richard - I appreciate so much all of your comments and suggestions!  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, just had a thought bubble, when you compare your MP1s do you compare the main outs of each or just still use the (mono) Fx send as your out ? I say this for 2 reasons, one there may be differences in the Fx sends (just different plug ware for example, as in I never used the Fx send/rtn in my MP1, some do, some don't) and two, the MP1 sounds so good in its "sudo" stereo using main A/B outs (again how it was designed to work (into a B200s  >:D and stereo cabs >:D ).

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

the MP1 sounds so good in its "sudo" stereo using main A/B outs (again how it was designed to work (into a B200s  >:D and stereo cabs >:D ).

+1!!!

That's the way I love it!  :thumb-up:

I compared FX send out to stereo main outs: no way, stereo mode rules!
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

It's only in "pseudo" stereo mode until you kick on the chorus. That effect is in stereo 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Iperfungus

« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

It's only in "pseudo" stereo mode until you kick on the chorus. That effect is in stereo 8)

Yeah!  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

Well IIRC one channel is inverted so not strictly speaking "proper stereo" but it sounds great  :thumb-up: With all my MP1 patches (unless I wanted to use chorus as chorus) I'd set the rate to 0 and depth to 100 which set up a nice "stereo" (inverse I spose) doubling (bit like 15 IPS tracking (often for snare) in its day Harley) tends to flange when you do this with MP2...

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, just had a thought bubble, when you compare your MP1s do you compare the main outs of each or just still use the (mono) Fx send as your out ? I say this for 2 reasons, one there may be differences in the Fx sends (just different plug ware for example, as in I never used the Fx send/rtn in my MP1, some do, some don't) and two, the MP1 sounds so good in its "sudo" stereo using main A/B outs (again how it was designed to work (into a B200s  >:D and stereo cabs >:D ).

I run them through the paces because they are SO different! Two of the ones we bought sounded like cheap distortion pedals but when I switched to the send they came alive!  :o Then three of the units we have sound very good through the stereo sends so it really depends on the unit Richard.

Now also bear in mind however you think your tone is at bedroom volume or small gig volume becomes completely different at 110 dB. This is my territory and for me if the unit or whatever I'm using doesn't cut through or make the grade at super high volume I don't need or want it. So many guys I have seen take "their sound" from their room or practice room and have to crank it and everything falls apart and then they are depressed. So to me I start at crazy volume and then back down from there  ;D

Yes and I know all about the P.A. and miking it but I have been places where the monitors and soundman are terrible or better yet played situations where there is no P.A. and we did it old school like an old Black Sabbath concert or festival where we just all crank it to be heard. I'm very happy in that situation.
 So I want to get the most out of MP-1 right from the start and if it sounds weak even after new tubes I don't like and it goes into Jason's collection.
This may sound strange but it is really no different between theses ADAs and old Marshalls. A close friend of mine has several late 70's JMP Marshall - and has sold even more because if they don't have "The Sound" he thins the herd and sells them off. I'm the same way with these MP-1s we have. Two of them I really like including my Holy Grail and the other 6 or 7 I won't even play.
 Just my view though  :)
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Ok, started some tubes rolling here.

I've a lot more to do, but I discovered some interesting things so far.

1) 2 Ruby's JJs in a stock MP-1 are maybe too much...very gainy while quiet tubes, but too bassy and you loose some 3-D...
2) a Ruby's JJ in V2 with a TAD 7025 or 7025s in V1 is an awesome combination...and the 7025 is still the winner...
3) Ruby's 12AX7AC5 HG+ is another very good tube...maybe not like a TAD 7025, but very good...and it works fine with a TAD 12AX7-C/ECC83 in V2
4) TAD 7025 in V1 with TAD 12AX7-C in V2 works fine! I've to test with the 7025s in V1 yet...

At the moment, the best combination to my ears is a TAD 7025 Highgrade in V1 and a Ruby's 12AX7ACZHG (the JJ) in V2: it works fine with overdrive, distortion and cleans.
3-D sound, smooth, good overall eq, very low noise, tons of gain, well balanced: I love them!

I've to test other combinations, of course...but I think I found my best.

Ok, I will buy a Mullard RI LP for V1 one of these days...  :lol:
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

I would use the Mullard in V2

Iperfungus

« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

I would use the Mullard in V2

The Long Plate 12AX7 you mean?
With some Highgrade in V1?

Mmmmmmh....in that case I could reconsider buying it...  :lol:
I like the JJ in V2...or the original chinese 12AX7 tube or the 12AX7A-C TAD...
What about the Mullard there?

Another thing I want to try is the Ruby 12AX7ACZHG+ in V2 with the TAD 7025 in V1...
It should be the same JJ tube with a more better selection...
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

Yes Max,

I mean use the Mullard in the V2 with the HG+ in V1.

That's why I'm ordering the HG+ for all my preamps for the V1 slot, including the 3TM. A few of them have microphonic issues on the higher gain voicings, and the HG+ should solve this issue.

I'll still be able to get the Mullard voice from the V2 slot, but it should have better clarity this way.

I have a trio of the 12AX7ACZHG in the 3TM now, I'll replace the V1 with the 12AX7ACZHG+ and that should help with the squealing from the ultra high gain there. I'll try that extra tube in the original MP-1 with a 12AX7ACZHG+ or a TAD 7025 in V1.

Harley 8)

Iperfungus

« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

I'll try that extra tube in the original MP-1 with a 12AX7ACZHG+ or a TAD 7025 in V1.

Do it and let me know!
I found 12AX7ACZHG+ in V1 + 12AX7ACZHG in V2 a little "too muddy" on basses with high gain and loosing some 3-D (also on clean sound)...while the TAD 7025 in V1 + 12AX7ACZHG in V2 is an awesome, almost perfect combination.
Now I'll test the TAD 7025 in V1 + 12AX7ACZHG+ in V2, just to see if there's any difference (less noise? Even if it's already less noisy...a lot less than with original tubes...).
Then I'll have to test different tubes mixes in my MP-1...  :facepalm:

The List:

1) TAD 7025 HG (my preferred for V1, at the moment)
2) TAD 7025s HG (V1)
3) TAD 12AX7A-C/ECC83 (V2)
4) Ruby 12AX7AC5HG+ (V1)
5) Ruby 12AX7ACZHG+ (tested in V1, now I want test it in V2 with another HG or HG+ in V1)
6) Ruby 12AX7ACZHG (my preferred for V2, at the moment)

I would not test my TungSol 12AX7 anymore in the MP-1, since I didn't like it too much in any combination I already tested (this tube is absolutely awesome in my Rivera Pubster 25 combo, instead).
And I will let original 12AX7A chinese tubes have some well deserved rest.  :lol:

About the LP Mullard, I'll see after this tubes rolling session.  :lol:
Did you test it already in a non-3TM MP-1? With what tube in V1? Results?
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up