ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NGD: '00 MIJ Ibanez RG7620MSOL  (Read 10705 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
NGD: '00 MIJ Ibanez RG7620MSOL
« on: Time Format »

The guitar market over here in Japan is simply awesome...especially when it comes to used (almost) Japanese exclusive models....
So when wife and daughter conquer the clothes and fashion stores on the weekends I usually fall back and find my ways to stores like Ishibashi in Shibuya or some other stores in Ochanomizu...
Ishibashi also has a real awesome occasion online store, the U-Box....that´s where I spotted this rare piece of Fujigen craftsmanship.... a 2001 Ibanez RG7620MSOL (that´s Mahogany Stained Oil)....damn right, a Mahogany 7 String!
Called the Intl desk at Ishibashi and asked them if I could check out this gem in-store. They were totally awesome, told me it was actually located in their Osaka store but they could have it shipped to the big city in 2-3 days for me to check out (at no extra cost). Meanwhile I did some research on this specific model (hadn't´t heard of a Mahogany RG7620, they normally are all basswood....) and boom - looks like i found a real gem as these were Limited (with a capital L!).
Specs are Mahogany body, maple-bubinga neck with rosewood fretboard, Ibanez LoPro EDGE7, DiMarzio Blaze bridge and Custom7 neck. Frets are almost 100%, overall some small dings and dongs but nothing serious.
Totalled out a approx 500€ and I even got it set up by THE Jason from Ishibashi (with whom I also had a real nice chat...uber-cool dude!)
...now time to hit the wood-shed and get accustomed to that extra string again...been some moons since the 90s when I had my last Universe.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: NGD: Ibanez RG7620MSOL
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Nice score SC :thumb-up:

That looks like a nice bit of workmanship. The appearance of that y guitar is similar to what I have in mind for my Korean made Fender Showmaster. Currently, is has a nasty looking laminate over an African Mahogany body. They call it flamed Alder, but it looks like plaid :facepalm:
    I want to strip the clear laquer off of it, and steam the laminate off of it, then stain the wood if it needs it, and do it in a finish like that. The Mahogany will look a lot better than what they put on it.
    When I have all the materials I need for this guitar, and I find out the best way to strip it down without damaging it, I'm going to start a thread of the remake and post pictures along the way.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Looks really great and 500 euro doesn't seem to much? How are the prices for gear compared to europe?

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

IBANEZ!!

Man, it's a good thing I'm not there, I'd have a dozen MORE guitars.  >:D You have a very nice guitar there (as you know).

Looks really great and 500 euro doesn't seem to much? How are the prices for gear compared to europe?
That's what I was thinking. Is the exchange rate really favorable for you right now? It was when I was there a million years ago, I bought a ton of stuff - lol. Some of which I actually still have, some 25 years later!

Osaka is where Yakota Air Base was when I flew there quite often. A train ride to Tokyo wasn't far away, and I think we went right through the music distric...what was the name? Back then, it was smart business to bring a Les Paul with you from the U.S. and sell it there...I never got into that.

Man, I miss a place called Yamas. A local restaurant just outside the flight line of Yakota. Locals only. Great food, happy faces, old and young. I used to get a bowl of Katsu Don regularly. I have ordered it here in the States from some 'traditional' Japanese restaurants, but it's like ordering Mexican food in Boston, No bueno
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, nice  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Very dangerous district in Tokyo, I only got away without buying a bass, since the flight back was to be with 1 handluggage only  8)

Oh, and a very nice guitar, by the way  :thumb-up:
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Did some more research cuz I couldn´t find any Mahogany bodied RG7620 in all of the Ibanez catalogs...
As it turns out this must have been a strictly limited Japanese market only '99/2000 spot production model. There only was a batch of 12each of RG7620MBOL and RG7621MBOL that went to the US market....so this is a rare find (yeehaw!).
At first after quite some googling research I even thought it was an aftermarket replacement body....took off the neck and found proof of the otherwise (def Ibanez production) in forma of the stamp in the neck pocket.
1-piece mahogany body, quality and craftsmanship wise same level as the 90s Ibanez Universe guitars (but minus the scratch plate and middle pup; I prefer direct mounted pups).
Bridge pup (DiMarzio Blaze) doesn´t do it for me though, replacement (DiMarzio CrunchLab7) will be delivered today.
So if anyone needs a DiMarzio Blaze 7String Bridge pup (think of Steve Vai P&W, most notably For The Love Of God sound) I have one for grabs, will ship world-wide, pm me.
Since I hadn't touched a guitar since May cuz of moving here and all, getting back to it on a 7 felt awkward at first bot feels like the most natural thing right now. The neck is (logically) wider than what I (remembered) was used to....17" radius , so not your 7ender 9-12 thingy or 12-16 compound...bends demand some more effort (at the beginning)
After some time I now feel real comfy on this guitar.
Implementing the low B was a tad bit difficult at first but becomes standard more and more.
Just for fun I grabbed one my 6string Ibbys the other day and it´s so much easier to play now.

So, if any of you folks wants to dive into 7strings, search for a used Ibanez RG7620...they go for cheap on the used market but are Prestige series models by todays Ibanez standards.

Nice comparison of both DiMarzio 7String pups in question....(the leads on the CrunchLab showcase that complexity and awesome vocally character in the midrange I been talking about in various threads):

*Edit*: Ordered this morning, delivered 5mins ago:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey SC,

That video is some useful information concerning those three pickups. Thank you for posting that.

Harley 8)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Another refurb completed. The body of the 7620 had lots of scratches and dings.... After christmas I sanded that carefully down going from 240grit through 800grit. Once that was done I applied various coats of Scherell Schaftol Reddisch Brown stained Gunstock Oil, followed by another couple of coats Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil (made sure it was bone dry between applying subsequent coats, also carefully sanding with 0000 steel wool in between) and finished all with Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax.
I´m more than happy with the final result:

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

^  Absolutely gorgeous!  Great job, SC!   :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Go SC, that came up really well  :thumb-up: , amazing what you can get done when you're on your own for a bit  ;) LoL.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Wauw SC, you did a really nice job  :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: NGD: '00 MIJ Ibanez RG7620MSOL
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

That's sweet looking for an Ibby! :thumb-up:

Usually I only see them painted, but I really like the wood in that one. You do great work SC!

Harley 8)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

...You do great work SC!

Harley 8)

Hey Harley, you expect anything less from a Navy brother?!?!?  :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :thumb-up: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

SC, you make me proud to say I'm a fellow 'Sea-Dog!'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up