ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Ecuador  (Read 12311 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Hello from Ecuador
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

These are actually chinese 9th gen tubes,not my personal favorite,but if you like the sound of chinese tubes go for it.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I agree with MJMP, they wouldn't be my choice (partly based on this http://www.dougstubes.com/ruby-12ax7-ac5-high-grade-1.html), one guy was playing LPs (so super clean audio is one of his goals) and the other bass, where (for some, not Peter  >:D ) clean is king and not necessarily what you want from a MP1. But hey, give em a go and let us know how they sound. (personally, I'd give these a shot http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-cv4004-12ax7.html).
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

xdiaba

• It's easier to understand than to be understood
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Thanks guys, couple days ago I've wrote an email to Doug (from dougstube.com) asking about a suggestion for replace tubes on mp1, he recommended these Rubys, honestly I don't like Chinese tubes at all, IMHO they are too noisy. Also I asked him about a pair of Tung Sols but his words were "they are great, but don't belong in a ADA preamp". :dunno:
Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Fender Stratocaster American Standard 1978 , Suhr DA bridge SD Stacks.
Gibson Les Paul Custom 2009
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Matrix GT1000FX Power Amp
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Well that's confusing, I would have thought TUNG-SOLs would be fine (hey not that I've tried them).  I can say from personal experience that HG JJs work great in an MP1 (I used Boogie STRs which are often re-badged boogie tested JJs), Moreover, when I was tube rolling (ish), a guy (back on the old depot) was sprucking the New Sensor Mullard reissues for the MP1. Now I haven't tried them in an MP1 yet (won't be long though) he did and loved them. I put them in both my MP2s', best tubes I've ever heard IMHO. (obviously very very subjective, I tried Boogie STRs (usually Boogie tested JJs but not always ?) initially in the MP2 (as I did for my previous MP1, great tubes in a MP1, shit hot!)), loved them in my MP2 also but the bottom E broke up a bit (not nicely) so I tried the Mullard re issues, best tubes I've come across to date for the MP2.
Here's an idea, go out on a limb and put these in (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-cv4004-12ax7.html), they certainly won't disappoint you and I strongly suspect they will blow you away!
Cheers Richard

xdiaba

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Thanks Richard, these tubes has more sense to me, I will try those and I will let you know the result.  :thumb-up:

Cheers.

Xavier
Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

xdiaba

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hi guys, I just bought an ADA Microtube 100 Power Amp, Do you know where I can find the user manual? also I will appreciate some review about this power amp. Thanks.  :)
Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey Xavier, manual attached.
MT100 Review: they're great  :thumb-up:

I started a new topic for you/this (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=309.0) as other members have more direct experience with the MT100.  Also, depending on age/use etc the tubes are probably due for replacement.  While the same tubes I suggested for your MP1 would work fine, they don't need to be super high gain in a poweramp so other tubes may work better.
Cheers Richard

xdiaba

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Thanks for your commnets Richard.  :thumb-up:
Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

xdiaba

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Guys, after weeks I just test my mp1 with paired Mullards CV4004 tubes (thanks to rnolan suggestion), sounds amazing!!!!, full gain, warm and cristal clear cleans, the unit is still noisy in hi gain but it is something that I could handle using the Gmajor noise gate, thanks Richard  :thumb-up:
Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

No worries, happy to help  :) , you should be able to improve the hi gain noise situation with the MP1 noise mods (MJMP has done a lot of work on this area) and the MDRT transformer upgrade is a must IMHO.

xdiaba

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Hello guys, I've tried use my rack with a midi controller (Midi Buddy), I use my Gmajor knob to switch my presets, in this way I don't use and abuse the mp1 buttons. Now, my problem is when connect the middy buddy to Gmajor and try to switch them from it, just Gmajor switch its chanels but the mp-1 stays in the same bank.

Midi wires are connected as:

Midi buddy midi out -> Gmajor midi in
Gmajor midi out -> mp1 midi in

I will appreciate your help, thanks.PS. Sorry my bad english  :facepalm:
Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Hey xdiaba, don't know much about your midi buddy, tried to look it up and it doesnst want to play easily, so I'd piss it off, WTF is it supposed to do... (sorry, you may like your midi buddy.. seems like crap to me... I can't even google it and get a result that's sensible).  I'm struggling to understand why you'd need it ?? whatever it's supposed to do, don't mean to offend BTW.
The Mp1 BTW is old/er school, it doesn't respond to real time midi (pedals, switches, etc, just MIDI program change). the G major however, is happy to go with real time midi and you can control it in lots of ways, to me the most useful is you can control the g-major master vol with a midi cct pedal.   BTW the MP1 has midi in, midi through and midi out, so Midi through is what what it gets from your pedal (passes through), midi out is wahtever you program in the MP1 midi table

xdiaba

« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

I've solved my problem, was a wrong connection, everything was right except should be from gmajor midi through to mp1 midi in and that's it.

Gear:
Ibanez Egen18 2008
Ada mp1 ver. 2.00
TC Electronic gmajor2
Furman M-8DX
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey xdiaba, sorry for my earlier rant about your midi buddy  :facepalm: ,  Glad you got it sorted.  The difference between through and out (some rack units only have a through) is that the unit can map different programs (set generally on the program change table page) to different midi numbers which are sent to the midi out.  E.g. your unit gets midi prog number 16 on its midi in but translates that to 67 (or whatever you set it to) to the midi out so the next unit which gets its midi in from that midi out sees 67 and changes to that patch.  This can be quite handy for more complicated patching or to say put the same effect on a bunch of patches (which is how I use it).  Midi through just passes whats coming in.  Most gadgets that can do this midi number change default to 1 to 1 mapping (1 = 1, 2 = 2, 50 = 50 etc) until you modify the table.  Here's an interesting catch though, the ADA programs are 001 to 128, many other rack gadgets go from 000 to 127, e.g. my Quadverb will change to 000 if I send it 001 from my ADA pedal or 54 if I send it 55, so when I set the program change table I have to take this into account.  I use the same basic slight delay + reverb on a number of patches, the way I map it is to tell the Quadverb (via its program change table) to go to that patch when receiving each of the ADA patch numbers (minus 1) I want that effect for (e.g. 111 = 000, 112 = 000, 113 = 000). So 000 is the Quadverb program I want for these 3 patches  (which are actually 112, 113 and 114 in the ADA and on the pedal).
My "basic" midi set up is ADA MXC midi pedal (phantom powered from MP2) > MP2 midi in (7pin lead, 2 pins for phantom power) > MP2 midi out to Quadverb midi in.  While I do the midi change table shuffle in the Quadverb, I could do it in the MP2 instead (coz the changes are sent to the midi out), the MP2 midi through I can send to say my Midiverb 4's midi in (it will then get what comes from the MXC pedal (minus 1)) which also has a midi change table ...  can do your head in this stuff  :crazy:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up