ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HAVING SOME "SOUND" ISSUES WITH MY MP-1??  (Read 23195 times)

RandallRG

Hey Dudes hows it going? I just picked up a MP-1 & here's whats going on..I am using my Randall RG100ES (R.I.P. Dime) & I am running into my 4x12 Randall Jaguar Loaded Cab. I have my Axe plugged into the front Input of my MP-1 then from Output "A" I am running to the Input of my Randall & I am on the Clean Channel. I don't know what is going on but on just about all the Pre-Sets my sound is just "Muddy"/"Fizzy" Etc...NO BALLS! LOL! I also have a Digitech RP-1 (there first processor from waaay back in the day that basically just dwells on my Pedal Board:) & it's set up the same way & all of the "Pre-Sets" on it sound Killer!! Nice & L-O-U-D! If anyone has any idea what may be going on with mine I sure would appreciate any Info/Help! Thanks for your time & Take it easy...Steve \m/
« Last Edit: Time Format by RandallRG »

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
Re: HAVING SOME "SOUND" ISSUES WITH MY MP-1??
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Try sending the output from your MP-1 to the effects return jack on RG100ES
Thereby bypassing the pre-amp section of the Randall, as you are already using the MP-1 as pre-amp.

See if that improves it some  8)
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

RandallRG

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the suggestion Peter. If I run the Output of the MP-1 to the Return (& originally I had it going to the Input of my Randall) what would get run to the Input of the Randall? Thanks..\m/

Peter H. Boer

• The Granny Attic
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the suggestion Peter. If I run the Output of the MP-1 to the Return (& originally I had it going to the Input of my Randall) what would get run to the Input of the Randall? Thanks..\m/
You run nothing to the input of the Randall, you only utilize the power amp.

RandallRG

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

You run nothing to the input of the Randall, you only utilize the power amp.
[/quote]
Thanks for the advice Pete that's what I figured but I wanted to make sure. Bypassing the Pre-Amp didn't sound right either (VooDoo says to run it like that with a Tube Head) so after some checking & adjustments with the settings etc I am back to running it from the Output to my Input of the Randall & now its starting to come around for sure. I am probably not getting the sound I am wanting right away due to the fact that I am using a ss Head. I am sure this works better with a Tube Head Etc?Anyway I am starting to get some good sounding Metal out of it & will keep tweaking it over time to get some Heavier stuff! Thanks Again Pete! Take it easy.....Steve \m/ 

Peter H. Boer

• The Granny Attic
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Good that it's starting to work now, however it should (almost by definition) sound better going straight into the power amp.
Maybe your output A is not working correctly?
Try output B (they should be identical).
You can even try the effectloop send from the MP1 direct into power amp of the Randall

:P

RandallRG

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Good that it's starting to work now, however it should (almost by definition) sound better going straight into the power amp.
Maybe your output A is not working correctly?
Try output B (they should be identical).
You can even try the effectloop send from the MP1 direct into power amp of the Randall

:P
Hey Pete thanks for the Info/Help Buddy...I do appreciate it! You know you would think it should or would sound better going straight into my Randall's Power Amp....but it doesn't? Tried both "A & B" & with the same result a very "Thin/Weak/Tinny Trebly" sound to both along with a very good amount of "Hissssss". Sounds BEST from the MP-1 "Output" to my "Input" on my Randall & TRUST ME IT CRANKS! LOL! I am sure you know about the RG100ES Heads...I can't even really push it past 1 or the Windows start to rattle! :metal: Either way I guess I will start looking @ some patches (saw some of P. Gilbert's on here...Have to check them out! :) & start to have some "Fun" with this unit & bring myself back to the 80's!! Thanks Again Pete! LONG LIVE THE M-E-T-A-L! \m/
*Here's a shot of my 85' Randall RG100ES with Matching Jaguar Loaded Cabs Full Stack in memory of Dime (R.I.P. Brother) along with my 88' RG100ES C.C. Deville "Zebra Print" & I also have another 88' RG100ES with the Killer "Fuzzy" Grey Carpet so I got em covered in all the bases! I had a 88' RG80ES but Traded it awhile back. I liked the RG100ES's better. I think my MP-1 will be right @ home here! Yeah guess you can say I am a bit of a Randall F-R-E-A-K! LOL*

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Maybe your mp-1 is in need of new tubes?

RandallRG

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Maybe your mp-1 is in need of new tubes?
You know I have got it sounding pretty KILLER at the moment & when I crank on it a bit with my Randall....O.M.G. DUDE IT'S S-I-C-K!! But I was thinking about the Tubes also. I am checking with the Dude who owned it before me to find out approx how long they have been in for? What Tubes do you like for Metal & which ones would you suggest? Just curious I know the deal on the Tubes...just thought I would get your opinion on them? Here's a shot of mine I have the 12AX7A's. Thanks Marshall! \m/

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Steve, they look very much like the original tubes (I'm pretty sure they are from the photo, no brand just 12AX7A printed on them) in which case they are Chinese bottles and as old as the unit so replacing them is a very sensible idea.  While there's lots of choices, I recommend New Sensor Mullards, Boogie STRs (usually JJs) or JJs in that order of (my personal) preference. (but there are lots of choices).  I seem to remember there was an output level switch on the top of my MP1 ?  which switched the output between guitar (inst) level and line level (or am I dreaming ?).  It's not referred to in the version of the .pdf manual I have, but it also doesn't mention the rear panel input being line level (which my MP1 had) so may be for a later MP1 version ?  Anyway, If I'm right and the switch is there, it should be switched to guitar (inst) level to plug into your amps clean input (pre-amp) stage or set to line level to plug into the effects loop return bypassing the additional pre-amp stage.  What you describe sounds very much like a gain miss match and I suspect (if the switch is on your unit) it's set to guitar (inst) level (so no enough herbs to drive the Randall effect return, and thin, tinny fizzy noisy etc).
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

RandallRG

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Steve, they look very much like the original tubes (I'm pretty sure they are from the photo, no brand just 12AX7A printed on them) in which case they are Chinese bottles and as old as the unit so replacing them is a very sensible idea.  While there's lots of choices, I recommend New Sensor Mullards, Boogie STRs (usually JJs) or JJs in that order of (my personal) preference. (but there are lots of choices).  I seem to remember there was an output level switch on the top of my MP1 ?  which switched the output between guitar (inst) level and line level (or am I dreaming ?).  It's not referred to in the version of the .pdf manual I have, but it also doesn't mention the rear panel input being line level (which my MP1 had) so may be for a later MP1 version ?  Anyway, If I'm right and the switch is there, it should be switched to guitar (inst) level to plug into your amps clean input (pre-amp) stage or set to line level to plug into the effects loop return bypassing the additional pre-amp stage.  What you describe sounds very much like a gain miss match and I suspect (if the switch is on your unit) it's set to guitar (inst) level (so no enough herbs to drive the Randall effect return, and thin, tinny fizzy noisy etc).
Cheers Richard
Hey Richard how ya doing? Hope all is well. Thanks for all the Info on the Tubes Mate! Always wanted a MP-1 & I finally have one so learning all this from you guys here & reading up & watching some videos etc is really helping me out & F-a-s-t! Honestly as far as the Tubes go they probably are the "Original" Ones. When you put new Tubes in these MP-1's is there that much of a "Noticeable" difference in overall Sound/Tone Etc? When you turn the unit on about how long should you warm up the Tubes (approx. ?) Oh & NO Rich your NOT Dreaming! (LOL!) some MP-1's do come with the Line Switch up top mine does NOT have it but that is some great info about it....Thanks! I guess when I started this thread as far as my "Sound Issue" (which I thought it was @ the time) basically was just things being out of adjustment etc. It's really coming around. There is SO MUCH you can do with a MP-1 as far as Shaping your Tone Etc. I always wanted one & remembering all the Guitar Gods from back in the 80's using them. The sound was Killer & I am all about the M-E-T-A-L! \m/ Anyway Thanks again for the Info & Help I do appreciate it! \m/

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Looks like this is a late V2.00 or V2.01 mp-1,so no topswitch.I can confirm these are the original tubes so they must be +20 years old now.
My guess is replacing these will give you a better sound.I'm a JJ fan (tubewise) and i use the Ruby 12AX7ACHG.These are JJ tubes but tested by Ruby.And they also give a warranty of 3 months (or is it 6).

Anyway you're from the US right?I can recommend doug's tubes.He sells alot of different brands and he tests them.A bit more expensive then off the shelf tubes but you will get the best quality.

RandallRG

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Looks like this is a late V2.00 or V2.01 mp-1,so no topswitch.I can confirm these are the original tubes so they must be +20 years old now.
My guess is replacing these will give you a better sound.I'm a JJ fan (tubewise) and i use the Ruby 12AX7ACHG.These are JJ tubes but tested by Ruby.And they also give a warranty of 3 months (or is it 6).

Anyway you're from the US right?I can recommend doug's tubes.He sells alot of different brands and he tests them.A bit more expensive then off the shelf tubes but you will get the best quality.
Hey Buddy YES it's a 2.01 whats the Main difference between the 2.00 & the 2.01 just software up-dating or ? WOW if these are the Original Tubes (How many years are they suppose to last!) I didn't think they would last this long! (LOL!) Your right it has NO Top Switch. Guess either way putting a new set of Tubes in might "wake" the old Girl up even more ayy? With NEW Tubes would that bring out anymore Distortion or Clarity in the Sound? Where can you find out the year of a MP-1 on the Board somewhere? I see the Transformer is dated (B-507E-93) being the Transformer is a 93' does that mean the unit itself is to? Thanks for mentioning Doug's I had already found them on the web a few days ago. Thanks for the info...\m/

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

The difference is mostly the firmware altough i've seen one that still had the topswitch.Must have been an really early V2.

What's the serial number of the mp-1 (you can find it on the white sticker on the back of the unit or inside the unit.

RandallRG

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

The difference is mostly the firmware altough i've seen one that still had the topswitch.Must have been an really early V2.

What's the serial number of the mp-1 (you can find it on the white sticker on the back of the unit or inside the unit.
Yeah figured it had to do with the Software Etc. I thought the Serial # is on the White Sticker I was wondering how you can find out what Year it is? I saw a video on Y/Tube & I think you can find out the year somewhere on the M/Board? Thanks...\m/
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up