• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

No input front or rear MP-1

Started by Mxzx, January 09, 2015, 12:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtmm

BTW, I should mention that the board stuffing diagram and schematic were gotten off this site, which makes this site a fantastic place. :thumb-up:

All i did was to outline U4 in red. Thanks to all that help keep these great preamps alive! :thumb-up: :thumb-up:

Mxzx

Awesome, thanks for the help all!!

I'll get on it and see what I find.

Thanks!!

gtmm

Mxzx,

Hah, hah.  ;) I'm such an idiot!

If you look at the schematic, there's a lot of front end before U4 that I missed, due to the fuzziness of many copies. I missed the double line of the input jack which sends the signal to the 1Meg ohm input impedance, then to a FET, then to a bipolar transistor -- then to U4.

Sorry, but at least you know where U4 is now.  :thumb-up:

Mxzx

No problem, thanks again for the help!

I'll dig into it tomorrow afternoon and report back.

Thanks!!

Mxzx

Checked U4 and all the voltages check.

This opamp was replaced by the previous owner as it now has a mounting socket.  I don't have that opamp but I do have a TI one, it has 24AJTRW then under it has NE5532P, will that work to replace it with?

I did notice some things under the board. The 2 middle pins on the left side of U4, where it mounts in the first pic, have continuity, is that correct.  Looks like a drop of solder in between to me?

Also C31, next to the opamp socket, appears to have a resistor soldered to it in second pic, is that right?

Thanks

MarshallJMP

First the U4 opamp is actually a dual opamp,so 2 opamps in one housing.The one with the red rectangular is not the one you need,that is used to feed the level led "input".You need the other one,which is a bit more to right (with pins 1,2 and3).

The NE5532 will work,just make sure you insert it the right way!!

Yes these are pins 6 and 7,they are supposed to have continuity (in the schematic you see pin 6 and 7 connected to each other).

The resistor is correct,this is R73 (100k).

Mxzx

Ok, which way is the right way for opamp?

So is U4 the socket there or not?  I'm confused. The voltages you said to check on the pins are correct, so I though that was U4?

MarshallJMP

I'm at work but email me and i'll send you a pic how to insert it.

The socket is U4, that is correct, but i was refering to the schematics gtmm provided.

Mxzx

Changed opamp and still no improvement.

On a side note, when the headphones are plugged in and turned all the way up, I can hear a faint guitar signal, its not much but it is there.

Mxzx

Not to bring up a dead thread, but I now have an oscilloscope if anyone has any more ideas on this problem.

Thanks!

rnolan

Hey Mxzx, hopefully someone can help, I'm sure MJMP or others will again chime in, unfortunately under the hood isn't my area, but the thead is at least "alive" again  :thumb-up: . and sorry we fell off the perch as it were...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Mxzx

Thanks, it was my fault as I didn't have an oscilloscope.  MJMP has been helping me along!

Thanks!

rnolan

No worries, MJMP will no doubt (as always, go MJMP  :thumb-up: )  help you out. Hope you get it sorted soon !!
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Mxzx

I have both an oscilloscope and a signal generator now.

Thanks

MarshallJMP

Ok insert a signal into the mp-1 of 2kHz 700mVpp and start measuring from the input,then see if you have a signal on U4 pin1.
Then see if you have a signal on the input and output of the tubeboard.

Let me know.