ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground hum noise  (Read 4681 times)

dave_daut

Ground hum noise
« on: Time Format »

Hi,

I have a MP-1 110V US version and use a 230V converter, because I live in Europe. Everything is fine, but the hum is too loud. Is there a problem with converters ? Will the noise mod also effect the ground hum ? Where to start to eliminate the hum ? I looked through the forum already: will the MDRT also effect the ground hum ?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Ground hum noise
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Dude, do the MDRT, it will (IMHO) fix your issue.  e.g. I tried a US ADA MT100 poweramp with (I'm in OZ) 240 to 110 convertor, lots of hum, not good etc.  The other MP1 noise mods are also worth doing, but makes more difference (from what I can glean) if you run really high gain; to sort out really high gain on a MP1 ( >:D ), go with all the 3TM/noise mod options  :thumb-up: , it will cook....
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

dave_daut

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi,

I do high gain settings but the noise is fine with me - only the hum is annoying. So I will give it a try with MDRT within the next weeks...thanx

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

No worries, MJMP may have some other ideas re the hum but I'd start with a MDRT and get away from the step down tranny.

dave_daut

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hi,

what about putting a 230V transformer in the MP-1 ?! Is that possible ?! So I won´t need the transfomer anymore...

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Absolutely, and you can just buy a 230v replacement (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm) which is less expensive than the MDRT.  BTW if you go this way, get one from MJMP, some other replacement trannys can have issues and break down over time.  In MJMP I trust.... :thumb-up:
However, the MDRT not only works on either 110/240v it improves the sound of your MP1. (from MJMPs site; The MDRT is a 24VA transformer which can deliver 12.6V to the heaters. The high voltage has gone up to 240Vdc / 8mA. The original is only a 12VA transformer, and will only deliver between 8 and 9 V to the heaters and the high voltage is 190Vdc / 4mA. So the MDRT will enhance the sound, producing better low end, less noise and the sound will sound less compressed.) which is why I would go MDRT (but it does cost more)
Pages: [1]   Go Up