ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise in my gear  (Read 6602 times)

El Chiguete

Noise in my gear
« on: Time Format »

Ok guys so yesterday I went to my tech and we redid the wiring on one of my guitar (it was a mess!) and in his house with his amps it didn't made noise. So today as soon as I turn on the amp I still had the same noise  :???: It's not the same noise as if I connect the amp with a 2 pin adaptor to take out the ground, that noise sounds different and it doesn't go away when I turn the volume level down in the guitar, but the noise that I'm having does go away by turning the guitar volume down. I tested my gear this way:

- I tooked a apart the rack and connected the gear not touching each other in the rack and the noise was there
- I used just the multieffects to the amp and the noise was there
- And finally I went straight to the amp and the noise was there!

Now I don't know what it can be the cause of this noise or how to get rid of it.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

El Chiguete

Re: Noise in my gear
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Here you can see me turning the pickups on/off individually so you can see only the bridge pickups makes the noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCQtxQ0kVeQ

And here you can see a recording that you can see that when I turn on the pickup the noise is present (sorry for the sound lag on the video). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfEfvXF83DQ

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Sounds to me like you have an open (loose) ground wire.

Do you have a wiring diagram for your guitar?
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

The thing is that in my tech house this guitar didn't have noise thru his amp.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Maybe a solder joint that got loose on the way home - who knows.  You need to t/s the bridge circuit for open ground.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey El Chiguete, since it's just the bridge PU being noisy, it sounds to me like a bad solder join (as GB suggests, open/loose ground wire).  Wirering PU switches is fiddly as the contacts are very small and close together (no doubt you know as you watched the tech rewire the guitar) and it's easy to get a join not quite right.  If you check where the bridge PU cable(s) solder to the switch and also where the B PU switch outputs to the guitar output (focus on the ground/shield) or volume pot, chances are that one of those solder joins is not optimal.  If you have a soldering iron, re-melt the connections making sure all the flux evaporates and the connection is good (or get your tech to fix it  :thumb-up: ).
Ok I had a look at the youtube clip, you have 3 basic on/off switches one for each PU and the output from these switches goes to the vol pot.  Since neck and middle PU are ok, connection from them to the vol pot is fine, so it's most likely either the bridge PU ground not connecting to the B PU switch properly or the ground from the switch not connecting properly with the vol pot.

BTW a good mod (if your PUs are dual coil) is a 3 way switch for each PU (up coils in parallel, middle off, down coils in series)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Sparker

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Ground PU wiring is usually commoned throughout the guitar. So a quick test for bad PU grounding (without having to open 'er up) is to connect the suspect pickup case (if metal) or height adjustment screws (if non metal), to a good pickup case or height adjustment screw and see if the noise goes away. So, short the case or height screws from the bridge PU to the middle PU and see what happens. EDIT1: Also, if the strings are grounded correctly, this could be easily done by pressing a string down to touch on the bridge PU case or height screw. EDIT2: Unless you have those Elixir type of anti-moisture ones   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Sparker »
ADA Gear: MP-1 Tube Board

El Chiguete

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Well that guitar is on the tech now getting a complete makeover so we have to wait for him to finish and hear the results.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Enjoy, nothing like a makeover  :thumb-up:

El Chiguete

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Ok so I have the guitar back but there wasnt time to do a complete overhaul because the tech had to do some more urgent stuff first... anyway I quickly redo the wiring and was testing and I notice that between that and the shielding I did of the cavity I'm even amazed to say it but there is an improvement! There problem is that since you cant quickly undo stuff the you can't go back and see what really made the improvement. Actually depending on the angle I put the guitar I really get no noise besides the normal ¨hiss¨one from the loudness of the amps volume.

What I think this means that the noise I have left are of EMI in the air and just like before only the bridge pickup is picking up this noise but the tech was telling me how stack single coil size humbuckers have superior noise canceling than regular pickups.

My question now is even if I find the source of the EMI that will mean that I will be at the mercy of my pacement in a stage and where I'm facing... should I considered more shielding on this guitar besides the control cavity that I just did? Is there any other way to solve this?

PS:
In a pickup how at what angles does it detect more the EMI signals? I know that if you are parallel to the source you will pick up less noise but the referance point is the front of the pickup? the sides? the top or bottom?...

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey El, great you got your guitar back  :thumb-up: .  Maybe MikeB can chime in on this as he's done a shielding job on his strat with good results (I'm pretty sure he did ALL the cavities to get it solved).
I've not ever tried to work out which angle is more susceptible to EMF (EMI), it happens, you turn it comes and goes, you try to stay in the sweet spot.... I know fluorescent lights are a problem  :facepalm: , particularly with single coil PUs.  The hunbucker was invented years ago when there was much less EMF pollution (3G/4G, wireless everything, bluetooth etc), the problem then was more 50/60hz mains hum.  So they added a 2nd coil wound out of phase (reversed) to the single coil PUs which thus phase cancelled the mains hum. Phase cancellation works well at low frequencies, not so good at high frequencies (tends to comb filter etc....).  I only came across the "stack" PUs recently, a Seymour Duncan offering, so don't know much about them, but I'd proffer they are doing the humbucking thing in a single coil size (so good for 50/60hz hum reduction ?).  The shielding, if done well, should eliminate much of the EMF as you're (as far as you can) encasing it all in a fareday cage.
What PU do you have in the bridge ? why is it causing issues and not the other(s) ?

El Chiguete

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

This is a good video that explains different types of hum and noises https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nakpj_Mee0Q and at min 4:40 he talks a bit on how to move around and find the spots that make the less amount of EMI noise.
« Last Edit: Time Format by El Chiguete »

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81
Pages: [1]   Go Up