ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What Picks/Plectrums do you use ?  (Read 25196 times)

DesmoBob

Re: What Picks/Plectrums do you use ?
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Dunlop Jazz III, red. Also Dunlop delrin 1.14, hand filed to a sharp point and polished by running it through the carpet. Occasionally use Dunlop stubby & big stubby.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey DesmoBob, you just gave me an idea. I compared 3 picks recently and quite liked the Tortex H3's, they have a sharper point and sound nice and "sharp", good, bight, but are smaller than the Tortex 1.14s I normally use (so harder to hold onto with the way I play  >:D ). But if I file the 1.14s  to a sharper tip,  :whoohoo!: best of both worlds LOL
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DesmoBob

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

LOL I got that idea from Paul Gilbert at a clinic, ~1987 ish. Right down to buffing it in the carpet. These days I think he uses regular rounded tips.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

I tens to mostly use Fender 351 classic celluloid mediums. They just feel right, for metal! :metal:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

I coat my picks with rubber.  I also find fattish picks eaiser to hold and less fatiguing on my hand.

I used to refile small stubbies when the point wore away (which was after a gig for me) but I ditched them altogehter years ago for the awe in one profound.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

My preference was real shell (I still have a small piece) and I made my own picks, reshaping between gigs/playing (Like RG I burn picks), but running out over time and can't get any more. Tried metal picks, lots of fun, sound great but cripples your strings (though doesn't Brian May use a penny for his pick ?).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

My preference was real shell (I still have a small piece) and I made my own picks, reshaping between gigs/playing (Like RG I burn picks), but running out over time and can't get any more. Tried metal picks, lots of fun, sound great but cripples your strings (though doesn't Brian May use a penny for his pick ?).

Yeah he does, I have no f**king idea how that works.  I have tried metal picks and it's impossible.  Just scratchy awkward awfulness!!!  I could not play fast with a metal pick.  Hell I could not play at all with a metal pick.  They are not contoured enough.  I prefer finger nail best, it is the best sound for me personally but I cannot alt pick fast for lead stuff using my fingers so I have to use a pick.  Awe in one Profound in the fibre material is the closest thing I have come to the humain finger nail sound.  It bites without any effort at all and there is very little drag.  I do go between this and a hard nylon version though.  The materials really do change the sound a lot.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Someone gave me the metal pick and I gave it a run, very bright, I liked it but it was really destroying the strings (with the way I play). I also had a stone pick once (bit of a novelty when they came out), I liked it allot too but it broke (was sposed to be unbreakable LoL).
The real shell is the closest to finger nail I've come across, they are probably similar material (keratin) but if I hadn't switched I'd have run out of shell long ago. Not to sound gross, but (thought bubble) you could grow your big toe nails really long, cut of carefully and shape to be picks, ready made indent for thumb..

DesmoBob

« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

I tried metal picks, even filed one to a point. Couldn't get used to the ultra thin feeling, yet with no flexibility. Funny side effect is they turn coated strings nice and furry.  :lol:

Can't believe I forgot to mention fingernails. My right hand is like a bear claw. I usually fingerpick on acoustic. Tradeoff is I have zero right hand tapping skill.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

I tried metal picks, even filed one to a point. Couldn't get used to the ultra thin feeling, yet with no flexibility. Funny side effect is they turn coated strings nice and furry.  :lol:

Can't believe I forgot to mention fingernails. My right hand is like a bear claw. I usually fingerpick on acoustic. Tradeoff is I have zero right hand tapping skill.

yeah some picks will shred those coated strings.  I use Elixirs so I know what ya mean.  The picks I use now don't damage the coating at all.  I've had strings last 6-7 months!!  Still sound good and still feel nice and slick  :whoohoo!:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

When I was gigging I changed strings every 2nd gig or 85% chance I'd bust a D string on 3rd gig, and with floating FR, put down and pick up spare guitar.

If you shape your right hand nails (not too long), you get the best of both worlds and can still tap ok, I tend to destroy my index finger nail though when I'm playing allot. Use to use tissues and super glue to repair it..

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

How do you stop breaking strings now then Richard?  I noticed elixirs are definitley stronger, or else I play in such a way that strings break once evey hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well I broke one about 6 months ago and the last one before that was about 5 years ago.

I can't still tap and I have long nails, just about getting the right length and using more the under side of your finger tip.  Sometimes I let them get to freddy krueger though lol

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I don't play nearly as much these days so breaking strings isn't as often (I think I popped a G last year sometime ?? which is unusual, lots of big whammy action popped it IIRC). But back in the day we were doing 4 x 45 min sets 5 (ish) nights a week or 3 hours rehearsal or both (so I chewed through both picks and strings).

Also my nails get a chance to recover now (with lighter load) and I only bleed on the guitar once in a while (lucky my main guitar is red LoL). It used to be a reasonably regular occurrence (bleed from just above RH index finger nail).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

f*ck me thats a lot of playing time!!  Totally understandable then Richard.  I thought may be you used those shit Ernie Balls  :lol:  worst strings ever in my experience.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

I haven't tried much of the newer (long life) strings (except on my (daughters ?) baby Taylor acc, they've been on there for 15 years (ish), and finally need changing). After trying lots of electric  string brands over the years (45 (ish)) (and many brands come from the same factory BTW), I've settled on DR 10 - 46 tight wounds. They are great strings, good and very consistent. Not too bright when you put them on (e.g. deAdario), have more mass for same thickness (tight wound) so bigger notes, last very well and stay constant (I can attest to now as I change them much less often, but playing much less, they hang in there very well for the often to occasional player (if you play 5 nights/day a week doesn't matter what brand you use I'd need to change them at least every 2nd night)). The DRs also feel really nice under your fingers, and squeal "very" well (in a much better than average way)).

I'm not an Ernie Ball fan either, but some like them, and they are probably the same as many brands, and come off the same machine/batch.

IMHO the DR's are better and they are themselves (I could be wrong  :facepalm: ). But hey I like them, use what you like :thumb-up:

Some facts: strings go off, you loose life, top end etc (so do tubes but much slower than strings)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up