ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metallica Settings  (Read 23871 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Metallica Settings
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Have you tried the same setting but on the tube dist voicing?

RobbHell

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Metallica is a bit trickery than you make think. With my Engl Powerball and a Good EQ I can tailor the amp to sound like any Metallica album. A very good Justice and Black Tone.

James did all the rhythm tracks using Mesa and a few EQ's Kirk used Ada, tube screamer,Mq1 and Mesa for his leads. The Clean tone on One is ADA clean channel.

With a EQ mod to the ADA you will get a better Black Album tone but You need a Really good EQ. A cheap Graphic isn't going to cut it or we'd all be using one.

RobbHell

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

First the amps used on Justice and Black had a Five Band graphic EQ built in
80hz 240hz  750hz 2200hz 6600hz  start with a V at those EQ  points then get another EQ and tailor the sound to each album.

Dawg

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Have you tried the same setting but on the tube dist voicing?

Yep, the sound is too loud :/

I'm sorry for my English... I'm French  :facepalm:

Dawg

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Metallica is a bit trickery than you make think. With my Engl Powerball and a Good EQ I can tailor the amp to sound like any Metallica album. A very good Justice and Black Tone.

James did all the rhythm tracks using Mesa and a few EQ's Kirk used Ada, tube screamer,Mq1 and Mesa for his leads. The Clean tone on One is ADA clean channel.

With a EQ mod to the ADA you will get a better Black Album tone but You need a Really good EQ. A cheap Graphic isn't going to cut it or we'd all be using one.

Yeah you're right, Metallica's tone is a dream :/

I need Jame's right hand ;)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

What do you mean by "to loud"?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Chirurgical = very accurate, we can hear each music notes ;)
My MP1 is old, I bought it used, and the tubes are olds too... And the tubes in my Peavey Classic 60 are very olds too...
The battery in my guitar is OK.
Ahh Chirurgical thanks now I understand.  Sounds very much like you need new tubes, they go off slowly over time IIRC ADA recommended change MP1 tubes every 2 years, MP2 1 year (depends on use though).  To restore your "Chirurgica", - MP1 put in 2 new (hi gain low noise 12AX7) tubes (my recommendations: New Sensor Mullard (short or long plate), JJs (e.g. Boogie STRs (these tend to be expensive/overpriced but sound good), Rubys etc), TUNG-SOL. Doug's tubes have a good selection (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025.html).  And a set for the Peavey (3 x 12AX7 (ECC83), 4 x 6L6 power tubes)(e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tube-Complement-for-Peavey-Classic-60-60-/121148613034), the evilbay listing is for JJs, the brands above also have good power tubes (http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6l6-5881-kt66.html), I can personally vouch for Groove Tube 6L6s' (which are most likely re-badged tested JJs, I have 4 in my Carvin TS100, nice tubes). :thumb-up: your Chirurgica will return. (Do the MP1 first if you can't do both at once, it will make the most difference).  If it were me, I'd buy 5 short plate Mullard 12AX7s' (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-cv4004-12ax7.html), and 4 Mullard 6L6GCs' (http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6l6-5881-kt66/mullard-6l6gc.html).  BTW new tubes will definitely blow you away.....
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

BTW my power tube advice is based on the Peavey Classic 60/60 (it uses 4 x 6L6 power tubes and I'm assuming that's what you have??), when you open it up, check what power tubes are in it (e.g 6L6 = 5881 = KT66), other peavey models may (no doubt will) have different power tubes (so get the same (or equivalent) as what's in yours).
When you change power tubes, it's always a good idea to use matched (for equal power/output/gain) pairs (or even better matched 4s, Doug's offer this) and also have the bias checked/adjusted (any decent tube amp tech can do the bias for you).  If you want to be really finicky and have the tubes last a little longer, wipe off any finger prints/oil with a polish cloth after you put them in (though more an issue for stage light filaments (e.g. par 64s etc))

Dawg

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Yeah I'll change my tubes very quickly!

In the Peavey I have 2 6L6 (actually 2 Mesa) and 2 12AX7 (Mesa too)

In the ADA it's 2 Tung Sol, I want to try JJ tubes

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

The Mesa tubes are probably JJs, but they (Mesa) get tubes from other places, they don't make them, just test them and re-badge the ones that pass the testing and charge lots more $s for them...
The Tung Sols should be good (personally I'd try the new sensor Tung Sols before JJs I find the JJs a bit 2D and break up at 82hz (bottom E, in MP2), though not as big an issue in the MP1 as it has less bass than the MP2), I've not tried the Tung Sols, I know the JJs are nice and tight (fantastic feedback, best I've heard, they really sing...feeding back) but not as 3D as other tubes, but hey, depends what you're aiming for, they all sound a bit different.  In the peavey you want it tight, clean and transparent, let the ADA make the tones.

Dawg

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

In a Stock MP1, what are the original tubes?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

The stock MP1/2s had Chinese bottles in them, they had no brand just 12AX7A on the tube, so I don't know much more about them except they were good tubes and lasted very very well (at least 10 years, averaging 3 gigs per week). That said, a nice pair of JJs in the MP1 and a nice pair of Mullard long or short plates in the MP2 are even better (can't vouch for the same longevity with the Mullards yet, but I put some boogie STRs (normally JJs) in my old MP1 (18 years ago) and they are still going strong, although they didn't gig anywhere as often with the now/new owner).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up