ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for something similar to the pitchtraq  (Read 5734 times)

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !

Hey all I have been trying to use the Pitchtraq with my mp-2 and a  mixer and I think I would like it for the mp-1 rig instead trying to slim down the mixer.
So I guess my question is. What pitch unit would work good with the mp-2 as in 2 in and 2 out midi as well. Any thoughts would be great thanks Steve.

Griphook

• Less is more? More is more!

Hey Steve,

I like the TC electronic G-Major 2 a lot for Pitch-shifting, Harmonizing and stuff. It is a multi-FX-unit, so for just using the Pitch-Functionality it might be overpowered.
It has PC, CC capability and can even use Expression-Pedals for on the Fly-Change.

...hmm, the more I think of the abilites of this unit, the more I want to tinker around with my MP-2 and GMaj2

vansinn

Methinks you'll be hard pressed finding a Pitchtraq replacement, because it does it in hardware in contrast to others doing it in software, with the resulting latencies. Also, it's pitch shifting has virtually no weird artifacts.
However, this doesn't make the Pitchtraq better per-se; it doesn't do intelligent pitch shifting, par example, and has no MIDI, so..

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Steve, I've used a Digitech IPS33 Smart Shift for many years, first with MP1 and later MP2, it's old but does have Midi patch change (although programs limited to 1-99), tracks well and sounds good.  It is mono in but has 2 channels out, each can be a different pitch.  I ran it off 1 Fx send and return down 2 desk channels (L/R) both sent to Quadverb sends 1/2), MP1/2 down 2 channels (L/R) L send 1, R send 2 and both send 3 (to IPS)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

bunkyloo

I have looked into the ips33 for a while. Im sure it is a good unit. The G major I've heard a lot of talk about I have a opportunity to pick one up locally for $100 usd just waiting for a email back.
If I can find a good deal on the ips33 that could be an option being it has two effect outputs and is midi.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

I second the IPS33.  However it sucks that it always starts at preset number one.

I also have the rocktron Intellipitch which is truly awesome, bad rare as anything!  Super rare in fact.  Same guys who did the eventide did the Intellipitch.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

bunkyloo

Anyone have any thoughts of the digitech dhp 33 ? the isps  are about the same price these days. Any input would help thanks steve

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic

Anyone have any thoughts of the digitech dhp 33 ? the isps  are about the same price these days. Any input would help thanks steve

Love it :thumb-up:
Mainstay in my rack since mid 90's.
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Steve, not sure if you've tripped over this post (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1090.0) The attached mp3 (last guitar solo) is MP1 with IPS33.  I think the IPS patch I used was a minor 3rd (key set Gm (smart shift :thumb-up: )), the same one I used for Highway Star solo (actually, I programed all the 2nd guitar Highway Star harmonies into the IPS, but there was no way I could change them fast enough  :facepalm: (you could do it with a sequencer just changing midi patches :dunno: ), so in the end I just went with the minor 3rd, (also works for Smoke on the water (for the most part)), and also this track as it's a Gm 3/4 blues thingy (I've never heard the original song (JB Lenuior), just made up my own parts)....

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official

Hey Steve, I've used a Digitech IPS33 Smart Shift for many years, first with MP1 and later MP2, it's old but does have Midi patch change (although programs limited to 1-99), tracks well and sounds good.  It is mono in but has 2 channels out, each can be a different pitch.  I ran it off 1 Fx send and return down 2 desk channels (L/R) both sent to Quadverb sends 1/2), MP1/2 down 2 channels (L/R) L send 1, R send 2 and both send 3 (to IPS)

I had one of these for a couple weeks about a year ago, but didn't take the time to dial anything in and gave it to my bandmate.  I've seen a recent one pop up and am considering picking one up again.  I'm curious about the "Distortion loop" available via the unit.  Is there a way to patch this into the MP1 so you get a clean, altered pitch pre-gain?
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

bunkyloo

Re: Looking for something similar to the pitchtraq
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

If I recall the pitchtraq doesnt have a distortion loop like the ips 33 I would have to double check. But it works well in the mp-1mono effect loop and also the signal regen used with a splitter cable and a delay unit sound pretty nice as well.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Short answer is the IPS33 tracks distorted guitar just fine and I didn't notice it being any better using the dist loop.Longer answer:
Initially I used the IPS33 distortion loop, the idea is you feed it direct clean guitar which it uses to track the note you are playing but applies the harmony to the distorted signal.  The manual says it will track better if it is tracking the direct guitar signal rather than the distorted signal which has lots of overtones.  However, the IPS33 input is on the back panel so you have to plug your guitar lead into the back of the rack (or I had my tuner on the top of the rack which let me plug into it and its through out to the IPS33 input (so 2 leads)).  You then have to take the dist loop send (also on the back) into the MP1/2 input, so another lead from the back to the front MP1/2 input (my MP1 didn't have the rear jack mod which would make this easier).  Then you have to take the MP1/2 out (or the MP1 loop send) back into the IPS33 loop return (so mono, this is the signal it will apply the harmonies to) and then the IPS33 A/B outs, in my case into 2 mixer channels panned L/R.  So the patching wasn't ideal and a bit of a pain.  In the end I opted for MP1/2 into 2 mixer channels and used mixer fx send 3 into the IPS input (so the send was both MP1/2 channels with distortion and chorus etc), the IPS outs into 2 channels, mixer fx sends 1&2 went to quadverb (so both MP1/2 and IPS sent in stereo to quadverb which returned down 2 more mixer channels.  This worked much better from patching and gain structure etc perspective and I didn't notice any degradation in tracking compared to the dist loop.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

If I recall the pitchtraq doesnt have a distortion loop like the ips 33 I would have to double check. But it works well in the mp-1mono effect loop and also the signal regen used with a splitter cable and a delay unit sound pretty nice as well.

Quite correct bunkyloo, the Pitchtraq does not have a distortion loop.
    It does have a T/R/S insert for a delay of some kind which will give you some wonky modulated repeats from your delay

My favorite is the H-3000 Harmonizer. It will give you pitch shiftng, or harmonies, plus a lot more. Stereo ins, stereo outs, and MIDI. IMHO, there's nothing better than Eventide, although some of the Lexicon processors like the PCM-80, PCM-81, PCM-90, & PCM-91's will do a really decent job of that. Come to think of it, the MPX-1 also has that too, and they can be had for a lot less money on the used market.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up