ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey 50/50 vs B200s  (Read 6358 times)

VoxG2

Peavey 50/50 vs B200s
« on: Time Format »

I have the B200s with my 80s MP-1 and love it. However, I am looking at a good deal on a 50/50 Peavey tube amp, and wonder if anyone has had any luck with them. Am I really getting any better with the 50/50, or is the B200s going to be superior? Anyone ever stood in this boat of decision? Thanks

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Peavey 50/50 vs B200s
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey VoxG2, ( Anyone ever stood in this boat of decision?) yes I have I suppose.. albeit a little different..  My B200s was farting/crackling really badly (after 20 + years of no problems  :facepalm: ) so while I tried to get it fixed I needed a poweramp, so I bought a Carvin TS100 (much the same(ish) as a peavy 50/50 all tube amp).
The answer to your question is it depends... the carvin (and I assume the peavy) is a good clean transparent poweramp (which IMHO is what you want with ADA preamps). Now some like to chase some power amp distortion, I don't, I'm happy with my MP2 (or MP1) tones.
So my take from the journey, the TS100 all tube poweramp added a "very little" warmth compared to the B200s and is a great amp.  Is it better, no, does it weigh more (shitloads), is it as powerful, no (B200s 124 w p/c), but tube w vs SS w  :crazy: , but the peavy will sound great  >:D .  Will it be better than your B200s, I don't think so, it will be "a little" different, hey only you can decide..
My B200s is now fixed (I re-flowed all the solder joints (credit to MJMP for that idea  :bow: ), they are such great amps for what we want them to do.

Hey if it's a good price, give it a try, I'll/we'll be very interested in your reaction.
My understanding is the peavy tube poweramps are nice and transparent and not particularly coloured (eg like boogie amps (which some like and some don't))
However, (as much as I love tubes) tube poweramps are very heavy.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

VoxG2

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Wow man...great answer! Yes, the B200s is fantastic...especially cranked in stereo through a 4x12. I think I will check out that peavey, seeing it's only 100 bucks. Thanks!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

No worries, $100 is a good score if it's in good condition.  And always good to have a spare poweramp just in case  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Having nearly bought a Peavey Classic 60/60 last month I can tell you (just goodle it BTW) that the Peavey 50/50 and 60/60 are not clean and transparent and it doesn't take long before they start to break up.  At least everything I have read has said this.  Basically it's cool if you like a lot of tube influence on your sound is what I have gathered, but clean, doesn't sound like something they excel at as the volume goes up.  Lot's of tubey compression.  Good if that's what you are after.

I considered the 60/60 purely as I saw one for a silly price but I didn't bother in the end. 

I read also that these power amps are particularly good couple with my Peavey Rockmaster preamps.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

VoxG2

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I think I'll get it for 100...but I bet I like my B200s better! :-P

VoxG2

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I decided to skip it! I just can't part with my B200S!  :banana-guitar:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

The B200s is a great amp  :thumb-up: , if you ever spot a Carvin TS100 for cheap, they are also very good  :thumb-up:

VoxG2

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I got the 50/50...lol, idknowww man. It's pretty friggin' killer with the MP-1. May have to move the B200S and keep the 50/50.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I suspect you could move the B200s pretty easily on here, lots of us want (another) one, what voltage/country is it? Though if I were you I'd keep it.

herbyguitar

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I had one up until about 6 years ago. I lost the right side. Tried to get it fixed locally but no one wanted to spend the time on it. Couldn't find anyone that could work on it. It ended up going to the dump about 5 years ago. I'm regretting that decision now.
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

VoxG2

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Yes, true...I should keep it. Herbie, did you have a b200s or a peavey 50/50?

herbyguitar

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

B200
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I was fortunate enough to have both at one time. I still have the classic 50/50 though. I love the classic 50 for my gain patches with the mp2. The B200S I had may have needed a service as I found the tone to be a bit dull to some degree on cleans.

And, just to clarify, the MP-1 sounds killer through the 50/50z
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

VoxG2

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I finally put 12AT7s in my 50/50...eeeks! The presence was way too hot. Back to 12AX7s where AT7s should go...rrrrrrOCK!! I like it way better than the B200S. Makes me wanna T100S, so I can have the ADA/ADA look again!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up