• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Main Menu

Does the MP-1 Chorus do Flange?

Started by VoxG2, January 31, 2017, 12:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VoxG2

Just curious. It seems like I remember my old one flanging.

Iperfungus

Uhm....maybe on some settings it could...I've to try that...
On the run again!

VoxG2

haha...yes me too! Only way to find out!

Iperfungus

Quote from: VoxG2 on January 31, 2017, 01:02:40 PM
haha...yes me too! Only way to find out!

:thumb-up:

I bet rnolan and MJMP already know that...  :green-banana-smiley-emoticon:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

Iperfungus

On the run again!

rnolan

Well strictly no (but that shouldn't stop you trying  >:D ).  If you could modulate the MP-1 chorus depth (auto-magically) then it would be a flanger of sorts.
Flanging was accidentally invented by someone leaning on a tape reel while it was playing (the same signal/track) as another tape was playing it (or aspects of it), you can get this kind of thing when you have 2 multi track tape recorders playing in sync (to get extra tracks (eg 2 x 16 track = 32, loose 2 to sync = 30 tracks to record on)), lean on one spool slows it down (delay + pitch shift introduced), vary the pressure = flanging (comb filtering, out of phase waves cancel each other).
So flange parameters are pitch (freq) and pitch modulation (up/down, rate/speed) and time (delay) modulation (usually very short so waves end up out of phase with themselves and thus cancel out and modulating faster/slower).

The MP-2 chorus however does flange a bit (it has different circuit), and also I find with my slant split stack I've wired stereo, it causes some flanging as the speakers are not separated/isolated (and thus some frequency dependent out of phase cancellations).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

Quote from: rnolan on February 01, 2017, 04:04:18 AM
Well strictly no (but that shouldn't stop you trying  >:D ).  If you could modulate the MP-1 chorus depth (auto-magically) then it would be a flanger of sorts.

If only the MP-1 would accept MIDI CC for that...  :facepalm:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

To get a flange sound you need to have low delay times around 2-10 ms, chorus is usually higher around + 20ms.Also to get a flanger effect you also need a feedback control IMO.Now the one thing I find strange is that I own a ADA flanger pedal which sounds more like a chorus pedal to me.It doesn't flange well compared to other ADA units I have like the TFX-4 and the 2FX.

Iperfungus

Quote from: MarshallJMP on February 01, 2017, 06:09:47 AM
To get a flange sound you need to have low delay times around 2-10 ms, chorus is usually higher around + 20ms.Also to get a flanger effect you also need a feedback control IMO.Now the one thing I find strange is that I own a ADA flanger pedal which sounds more like a chorus pedal to me.It doesn't flange well compared to other ADA units I have like the TFX-4 and the 2FX.

I don't like flanger that much...but I think I'll keep using the one from GMaj...  :lol:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

Well you have flangers and flangers. I never liked DSP flangers like in those multi effect units like the G major and even the G force.

Soloist

I have to agree with MJMP.
I don't care for the flangers in my G Force, G Major 2 or any other multi fx unit I had.  :headbanger:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

VoxG2

lol...I have an ADA Flanger as well. It does several things, I just want a simple swoosh flange. The chorus on the GP-8 does it, but I'm sure I'm going to use it with the MP-1. Thanks for the replies!

vansinn

Quote from: MarshallJMP on February 01, 2017, 06:09:47 AM

How flange is perceived depends on settings. I once had an Ibanez table-top flanger unit that could do delay, flange and chorus.
When it was a flange and when chorus was purely up to settings; in other words, it could just as well do a flangy chorus as a chorused flange..

Why not simply create a mod to the MP-1 chorus for adding a small amount of feedback on shallow Depth settings?
Just might result in a flangy chorus..
Turning up the Depth will gradually decrease the feedback, and it'll turn into pure chorus.
Could be done with a FET, linked to the Depth control voltage, methinks.  (but I think too much at times, so..)

Iperfungus

Don't get me wrong guys...I owned some analog flanger pedals in the past, but I never loved that kind of effect too much, since I never found a place for it in what I play.
Generally speaking, I do not use too many effects...I prefer a dry and straight sound...just a little bit of delay and reverb and a phaser sometimes...a little amount of chorus just with clean sounds, even if now I remember why I loved the MP-1 chorus with overdriven or distorted sounds as well...

Inside units like the GMajor or the 9150, there's also too much stuff...  :lol:
On the run again!