ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: roland gp-8  (Read 5173 times)

Chamai

roland gp-8
« on: Time Format »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the roland GP-8. From what Ive read, it's 8 in 1 stomp box rack unit.

I found one locally and I plan on putting it infront of my ADA mp1.

my question is:

Is the GP-8 a pre amp or just a FX processor? Im want to use the GP8 like a stompbox

Can I just simply plug my guitar to the input of the gp8 and gp8 out to the ada mp1's input?

i could simply use my tubescreamer, but it looks cooler if i keep everything in  a rack.

thanks guys
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: roland gp-8
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well it's actually a preamp so it won't work in front of the mp-1,maybe you could use it in the loop for the effects like chorus phaser and delays but it's not really designed for that use.It's actually more to put in front of a non master volume head or amp like marshall heads (JMP's and jcm800) or older fender amps.

Now this is a great preamp and it has that typical 80's sound but it's not really compatible with the mp-1.

Chamai

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Well it's actually a preamp so it won't work in front of the mp-1,maybe you could use it in the loop for the effects like chorus phaser and delays but it's not really designed for that use.It's actually more to put in front of a non master volume head or amp like marshall heads (JMP's and jcm800) or older fender amps.

Now this is a great preamp and it has that typical 80's sound but it's not really compatible with the mp-1.

thanks for the response
I need just need a rack overdrive to slam the front of my mp1. right now I actually set my od1 and od2 quite low and hit it with a overdrive pedal. instant 80's high gain hair metal. but I just want a boost of some sort in rack formant.

even for my high gain heads, I always have a od pedal in the front to tighten the sound up.

from what ive read online, seems like guys back then use a PQ3 infront of the mp1 to shape the tone and gain structure a bit. the mp1 got more than enough gain, but i can't get that tight sound without an od pedal.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

A PQ-3 is great but a bit noisy,but there are some good other rack EQ's or you can try my old setup.I used a boss GE-7 in front of my mp-1 in a reversed smiley setting (mid boost),worked great.I liked it better then an OD pedal.Another great pedal is the boss PQ-4 but these are hard to find and pricey.

And you're right,i also had to use the EQ pedal to tighten up the sound.But since i have the 3TM i don't need it anymore.

Chamai

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

A PQ-3 is great but a bit noisy,but there are some good other rack EQ's or you can try my old setup.I used a boss GE-7 in front of my mp-1 in a reversed smiley setting (mid boost),worked great.I liked it better then an OD pedal.Another great pedal is the boss PQ-4 but these are hard to find and pricey.

And you're right,i also had to use the EQ pedal to tighten up the sound.But since i have the 3TM i don't need it anymore.

i will look into the pq3. prices are quite high honestly.

i triade a eq in the front, did really work for me.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H
Pages: [1]   Go Up