• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Main Menu

Moding the 3TM board

Started by Rusty, February 24, 2015, 08:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Dear folks, or MJMP if your about.

Is it possible or can this be done? I am maybe thinking about getting a 3TM board from MJMP and is it possible to mod the last stage to cathode follower to get a high gain Marshall sound?
As far as I have read, the 3TM has ultra amounts of valve distortion and is nice and quiet for so much of it it can deliver, sacrificing a little gain would be OK for me if it produced a truer Marshall'y sound.

Would it be worth doing this to achieve more gain plus a closer Marshall sound?

RobbHell

The Gain stage is a Cathode Follower into a tone stack exactly like a Marshall mod you speak of. 5 Cascading gain stages the sixth being a Cathode Follower.

Youll be very happy.

RobbHell

The descriptions are a bit confusing. Yes the 3TM has tons of useable gain/distortion but it can be dialed down to get even cleaner tones.

The Mod4 II is described as a Marshall Tone. The 3TM uses this similar layout with an added gain stage and into a Cathode follower.

A 3TM with outboard eq can cover about any tone or sound you might be trying to achieve.

MarshallJMP

Well Rusty like Rob already explained there's no need to mod it since it has the cathode follower.The 3TM has a marshall voicing but more the hot rod marshall tone.Check youtube,there are some videos of 3TM modded mp-1's.This will give you an idea on how it sounds.Just do a search for mp-1 3tm.

Rusty

Thanks guys for that as I was not aware of that info. 

MarshallJMP

No problem,you can't know everything can you?  :lol:

Rusty