ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: power conditioners  (Read 5908 times)

Metropolis

power conditioners
« on: Time Format »

Just wondering what all of you think about Furman conditioners.  I have read that aside from the convenience of rack mounting and line voltage display,   the actual  filtering is no more than the average Walmart power strip.
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: power conditioners
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well it depends,the older models,yes the new models have alot more like electronic over voltage protection.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I'm rolling with a Furman PL-Plus E since the mid 90s and have never had any issues (hum,.....)...
I only replaced the Varistors and some resistors 2 years ago, but that was only for my conscience   ^-^

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

There's not much inside them apparently.  Also quite expensive here in Oz ($550 AUD). I went with a small 1KVA UPS for $160 but I only use it when playing off a generator, and it is heavy and not particularly convenient, works well though and I get to keep playing when the genny runs out of fuel LOL (well for a little while)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Metropolis

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Systematic Chaos... I just bought a high quality power strip with  surge protection and noise filter.  It cost  14 dollars and seems to be working well.  I still might eventually buy a PL Plus but at the moment I'm considering a rack tuner and a parametric eq.  I'm really liking my Microcab 2...I use it even with my actual 2x12 cab.  I just think that it enhances the thickness of the MP1 tones.  Mostly using the 2x12 sealed cab sim, but selecting a different cab is kinda like changing preset eq curves within the same MP1 patch.   Very cool option!!!
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

For a rack tuner this is about the only one worth buying IIHO (http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=73), I'm over the "dead zone" inherent in all digital tuners. I now use a Peterson Stroboclip, best $75 I ever spent. I'd buy the rack version but they're a bit expensive.

El Chiguete

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

..., I'm over the "dead zone" inherent in all digital tuners...

I have an idea what you say, but could you tell more of this?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

To eliminate "dead zone" if you have 1 pre amp use a/b splitter to keep your tuning signal isolated.  Run line "a" to preamp and line "b" to tuner, dont run a line out of the tuner. Isolated signal with silent tuning. :thumb-up: If using 2 pre amps Morley makes an a/b/c splitter.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey good advice Soloist, but I was commenting on the "dead zone" where digital tuners work. So you pluck a string, the tuner samples the sound and compares it to (a (comparatively) fairly wide range of frequencies, so if the detected freq is in the "zone", the display shows "green, middle, whatever in tune). This zone is wide though (depends on tuner), anything within the "zone" will display in tune (Rolland/boss are the worst in my experience). The wider the dead zone, the more in or out of tune you may be... Now some hear this more than others (I'm not a perfect pitch proponent, but pitch memory is what is part of us, and we hone that as we go on...). The petersons let you get really accurate (this is where good machine heads really help BTW or FldRs fine tuners) and they also offer a range of stretch/sweetened tunings (which is all the Buzz Featon thing is, they're not new, he just managed to patent one variation (albeit  good one  :thumb-up: ))

Chamai

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

imo, these rack power conditions are just glorified power bars. from experience stuff ranging from 50 bucks- 250 furmans don't make a difference. looks fancy with all the meters and lights, but from experience, its pretty much the same.

for something that works, look into Equi=tech balanced power. note, these things weight roughly 22kg + each. rack mountable.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H
Pages: [1]   Go Up