ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long time listener, first time 3TMer  (Read 5920 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Long time listener, first time 3TMer
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Cheers all! It really does sound smoking, and the tube clean is now a very satisfying "brown sound" channel.

Just got an MP-2 as well, so I need to find a classic and complete the fam now :p

From the last time I spoke with Richard about that, the Classics never made it to Australia.

I will share this with you: the Brown Tube voice in the Classics don't sound anything like the Clean tube voice in the 3TM. Not even near that much gain.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

The MP-1s did ok here (in Australia) but they were very expensive, the MP-2 came out and I bought one IIRC it was $2.5k AUD, so I had to sell my MP-1 rig to afford it.  But never saw a classic in the shop so I don't think Nunzio from Pro Audio brought them in.  Also all the ADA effect units etc never made it here as new units, or I probably would have bought a couple.  The up side is IIRC you can put a MDRT in a classic if you can source a US model.  I was negotiating to buy one from the US but gave the sale/purchase to Dante as he really needed it (well more than I did).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

The Classic is not so easy to be found in Italy as well.
But today is difficult to find a standard MP-1 or a MP-2 and, when they come out, price is higher than 3-4 years ago a lot.
Today people asks 500 euro for a MP-1 or more...  :crazy: :nono:
I would not buy a piece of gear 30-40 years old for all that money (I paid mine less than 200 euro in 2016), unless I know a very good skilled tech guy close to me (and also in that case I would think about it very, very well).
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I was negotiating to buy one from the US but gave the sale/purchase to Dante as he really needed it (well more than I did).

This is what makes The Depot a very special place to be!  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Richard,

They weren't cheap here either. When the MP-1's were out, they were going for $800 USD. When the MP-2 came out they were going for $1000. MP-1 Classics went for $900 when they came out. Fortunately, six months after the release of the Classics they dropped the price $100. I believe that was due to a couple of things going on at the time.
   One, there was a definite shift from rack gear happening at that time to pedal effects.
   Two, I believe the complexity of the MP-2 had put a lot of guitar players off because they just couldn't get the tones as easily as they did with the MP-1. So ADA kind of fell from grace because of that, but you'll never get anyone at ADA to confirm that.

Harley 8)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

The Classic is not so easy to be found in Italy as well.
But today is difficult to find a standard MP-1 or a MP-2 and, when they come out, price is higher than 3-4 years ago a lot.
Today people asks 500 euro for a MP-1 or more...  :crazy: :nono:
I would not buy a piece of gear 30-40 years old for all that money (I paid mine less than 200 euro in 2016), unless I know a very good skilled tech guy close to me (and also in that case I would think about it very, very well).

Iperfungus,

Prices on ADA gear started going up to what I considered to be ridiculous at least 15 years ago.

I remember when I started posting here in the Forum, I was still buying and selling MP-1's for right around $100. I sold one to a member in Puerto Rico for $100, and he was using it in his band within a week. I believe that was in '07.

By then, when I looked on evil-bay, they were already starting to show prices around $300 or more.
   I agree with you. I wouldn't pay that much for something that would need work done to it as soon as you got it, just because of it's age.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

The up side is IIRC you can put a MDRT in a classic if you can source a US model. 

Actually you can't.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

The up side is IIRC you can put a MDRT in a classic if you can source a US model. 

Actually you can't.
  Hey MJMP, Bummer, I thought you told me it would work (back when I was going to buy a US one) :dunno: :facepalm:

Iperfungus

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I wouldn't pay that much for something that would need work done to it as soon as you got it, just because of it's age.

Or that could break after 30 seconds you got it!  :lol:
But that's a job for MJMP.  >:D
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

I wouldn't pay that much for something that would need work done to it as soon as you got it, just because of it's age.

I'm sure MJMP has plenty to do already ::)

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Harley 8)

It's busy at times  ;D

@Rnolan, no the two 9Vac lines comming from the transformer are wired in series in the classic while in the MP-1 they are sort of parallel. That why you have 12V on the heaters in the classic. (with  the help of a voltage regulator). So putting in an MDRT could stress out that voltage regulator.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Harley 8)

It's busy at times  ;D But I always try to help out people by email and my very good friends over here  :thumb-up:

@Rnolan, no the two 9Vac lines coming from the transformer are wired in series in the classic while in the MP-1 they are sort of parallel. That why you have 12V on the heaters in the classic. (with  the help of a voltage regulator). So putting in an MDRT could stress out that voltage regulator.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, I understand  :thumb-up: , but you could use (according to you rep parts section) a 220V MP-1 tranny in a classic, at the time I was considering the classic purchase I had MikeBs spare 220V mp-1 tranny (as he went MDRT) so that must be how I was going to make it work here.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

yes the MP-1 and the classic used the same transformer.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Cool, so Leon could put a MDRT in his MP-1 and use the now spare MP-1 tranny in a US classic (if he bought one).  Which was my original plan as back then MikeB had given me his MP-1 trnny after putting in a MDRT.  Then he bought a US MP-1 as a spare so I gave it back to him.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up