ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FS/FT: Mesa Boogie Triaxis (and maybe a Lexicon MPX-G2) ->SOLD<-  (Read 8222 times)

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music

All right...

I did the unthinkable and traded my awesome ISP Theta Combo (it was just too much amp for me as I only record direct and don't play out... and you'll have to pry the Theta Preamp from my cold dead hands) for a lovely Mesa Boogie Triaxis... VERY reminiscent of the MP-2... I understand now why many folks labeled the MP-2 as the "Triaxis Killer."  However, I think the Triaxis might have mid-gain and clean tones far superior to the MP-2 (don't shoot me).

However, this thing sounds like a Boogie:  thick, meaty, tubey, mean... play any Metallica on it and you get why James Hetfield used these things... it's an awesome piece of gear, but it's just not suited to the type of stuff I play.  It's versatile as hell!

So... I'd love to sell or trade this guy to someone who loves these type of tones...

I'm not really sure what I want to trade it for is the problem!!!!

I've owned the Engl e530 before and it was great, but I'd love to upgrade to an Engl head.  I'm curious about the Ampulator too.  The Fulltone TERC or the Shiva Audio Wave really intrigues me...  anyone with an ISP Theta Pedal and/or Stealth power amp...

I might throw in the Lexicon MPX-G2 with it as well... it's an all purpose guitar processor that has killer cab sims...

Hit me up with some ideas... nothing too far fetched for me to consider... I'm really into hardtail guitars (I own two Charvels and an Aria).... any other interesting pieces of gear out there, let me know!!!

« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Trade it for an MP2 and put in some Mullard Long Plates... Keep the lexicon but mix it in parallel (easy MP2 fx loop), cabs sims mmm built in and sound great.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music

Trade it for an MP2 and put in some Mullard Long Plates... Keep the lexicon but mix it in parallel (easy MP2 fx loop), cabs sims mmm built in and sound great.

Ha!  I owned the MP-2 and the MP-1 and LOVED them.  The ISP Theta Preamp killed them for me... I'm sitting at my desk now comparing the Theta Preamp through the ADA GCS-2 cab sim to the Triaxis/Lexicon cab sims and it's just about the same... the Triaxis sounds boxy compared to the Theta...

Ugh...

Anyone have an Engl Blackmore, Savage, Invader, Powerball, Fireball they want to trade???  :)
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

Hey Adam,

what version of the Triaxis is this? V1, V2 non-Fat, V2 Fat, V3?? (Srl#, TX-4 Recto-Board (what rev?) TX-5 Board)?

Don´t you think those Engl heads you mentioned might be a tad bit "overkill"? The special distinctive sound characteristics of those amps are made up for a big part by their power amp sections (by at least 50%; e.g. Engl Savage E610 120W from 6550 power tubes). You really have to push them to "sound".
I have a Savage SE (E660) with 4 6L6...anything below noon on the master doesn´t sound right  8)
A power soak might come in handy.
If you after specific Engl sound, have you checked out the Ironball E606
http://www.englamps.de/index.php?id=36&tx_ddfproducts_pi1[uid]=122&iPhoneBypass=1
20w 2channel mini head with built-in power scaling..... 
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music

Hey there SC!

It's in the serial number T-7000 range, which if I did my research, is a V2 non-Phat Mod.

It's a great preamp, I'm just spoiled rotten with the Theta...

Engl:  I've owned the e530 preamp and it was great, but yes, I'd love to try a head... the thought is to go cab-less and use the Mesa Cab Clone, or Two Notes Torpedo... something with a built in load.  The Theta Combo I traded for the Triaxis was just too much for me and loud as hell.  I'm all direct again...

But yes, the Ironball looks very appealing!!
-Adam

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator

It's in the serial number T-7000 range, which if I did my research, is a V2 non-Phat Mod.

That srl# makes it a V2 with Recto Phat Mod (LD1 Red) and a TX4 rev D board (T-5200 -> T-8279)

V2 Non-Phat (Vintage Recto Lead; Orange Channel) are T-1631 -> T-5199

V1 (non MIDI CC, LD1 Red British Shred) are -> T-1630
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music

Thanks for the updates on the info!

Any takers?  It's a serious preamp!

-Adam

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator

...free bump for an awesome preamp...

...and a teaser of how the Triaxis can sound when recorded direct
http://youtu.be/RJEFQk-SVc4

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music

Thanks SC!!!

But, the Triaxis is gone!  Went locally in a trade for an Engl e530 and an ADA MP-1...

It was great to play with the MP-1 again... and ever since I got rid of my first Engl, I've been regretting it...

The Triaxis has a great home!  It's a monster of a preamp, I'm just not a Boogie guy!
-Adam

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Sounds good to me, I'm not a boogie fan either (love MP1/2 though  >:D )
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up