ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone use an OD or Boost before their MP1 ?  (Read 5362 times)

Batsinthebelltower

Hey guys   :wave:

Anyone here using a pedal before their mp1 or 3tm ?  The reason i ask , is a lot of guys on the metal forums seem to be using a maxon808 or tubescreamer, before their amps - though they are mesa rectifiers and peavey 6505s.

I tried a tubscreamer infront of my 3tm a few months back, but didnt find it added the "tightness" people claim - infact id say it made it more flubby and harder to control. I tried all kinds of settings on the pedal and found none of them to be useful.

Then plugged back direct into 3tm and got that mean ass tight tone, once again ! Do you find the mp1 doesnt respond well to boost pedals ??  :dunno: :banana-guitar:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Anyone use an OD or Boost before their MP1 ?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Bat, IMHO dist peddles before the ada are not a good idea, the ADA preamps are just awesome as they are.....if you wont monstor gain go 3TM, better (again IMHO) than cloning or pedals  :thumb-up: ADA pre-ampmps kick....
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Well those recto's and those 6505's sound muddy at higher gain settings.So what they do is using an overdrive pedal as a mid booster to get rid of the muddyness.The mp-1 has a build in mid booster (active in the tube dist voicing) so need to do this,especially in a 3TM.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I tend to find that the way a Tubescreamer smushes the attack (think Stevie Ray Vaughn clean vs. OD) really detracts from a primary strength of the MP-1, and my experience lends itself to that point.  I personally like to use the OD half of an EHX Germanium 4 BMP with treble at 4 o'clock with conservative gain and level settings and that really enhances my tone.  More of a brash, tight sound.  Clean boost would work very well.

I do have to ask, what patch settings did you use on the MP-1, 3TM? 

When I did my Tubescreamer experiments, this is the version I used...rare as <bleep>.  Sounded usable with MP-1 with tone cranked to treble end.  I wouldn't go there again though.

Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

RobbHell

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

OD & Booster pedal aren't need with a MP1. It causes the first input opamp to overdrive too much and thats why it sounded like shit. Kirk Hammet is the only guy I know of that uses a TubeScreamer in front of the MP1 and he just screws any good lead tone out of the MP1.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

OD & Booster pedal aren't need with a MP1. It causes the first input opamp to overdrive too much and thats why it sounded like shit. Kirk Hammet is the only guy I know of that uses a TubeScreamer in front of the MP1 and he just screws any good lead tone out of the MP1.
+1  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up