ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA MP1 vs Marshall JMP-1 Are they similar in Tone  (Read 20824 times)

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"

I like the Gsp2101 much better than the 1101. For one thing the 1101 is all solid state  :nono:, the 2101 is a tube driven preamp. also with the 1101 its 1 effect at a time, the 2101 I can use 8 eq's in a row if I wanted too.
Major learning curve to program it, I have been messing with it for a month and have only scratched the surface. The effects in it are excellent.
I have seen some y.t. vids where it sounds top notch but I cannot get those tones out of it (yet). I think most of the videos on it have been enhanced with reaper or Cubase.
Great cleans, having trouble getting the med gain and high gain tones I want from it. I might end up moving it from my live rig to the studio.

Well thank you for your feedback.
I am pretty interested to get one because the cleans
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

brianiac5150

• This Hate of Mine

I had a Voodoo Amps mod'ed JMP-1 and there were light years (many) of differences between the stock MP-1 and it.  It was startling to play one and then switch right into the other.  I had them connected to a Peavey Classic 50/50, one into each side, with each side of the amp going to half of the same 4x12 Ampeg cabinet.  I would think there's quite a bit of difference between bone stock versions, as well.  I've always heard and experience leads credence to ADA/Mesa versus Marshall when these two are compared.  I played an ADA MP-1 into a Carvin X100B for years and loved it, however, recent experience has shown me I was always striving toward the Marshall tone, therefore, that's where I'm now at.
THoM Faceb**k
ADA MP-1 Original

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

And the mp-1 has a tube distortion,the JMP-1 has not,the distortion is created with diodes and then the sound is pushed through a tube to warm up the sound.The JMP-1 is not a really bad preamp but if i could choose i'll take the mp-1.

Also in technical point of view marshall stole a lot of the mp-1's design except for the most imported thing,the tube distortion.

I did not know this.  Strange they did not decide to make the distortion from the tubes.  I personally have no interest in the JMP.  MJMP you should change your name, it does not reflect your loyalties at all  :thumb-up:.  Can I call you AMP1?  If I just called you MP1 people might get confused on here I dunno  :facepalm:

On  different note, last night I was playing around with my stock MP1, I took the boost off and let my ears lap up the true original tone of it.  As soon as I took the bass down, I found 1 classic Marhsall tone after another.  Patch I was playing with first was close to Judas Priest, Storm Witch and a gizillian others bands using that driven Marshall sound.  I couldn't believe how close it was.  Then I flicked through a few other patches, same shit!  Few little tweaks and I was getting all kinds of tones I recognise from bands I pray to everynight before bed!  Truly an amazing device.  I am so glad I bought it and the 3TM version.  I'm defo loving the stock MP1 more at the moment.

The thing that got me about the early 80's Judas Priest patch was (OD1 4.4  OD2 7  Master 5 Bass 0 Mid-2 Trebel 2 Presence 4),  the clarity of all the notes, how "chewey" the distortion sounded, how much of a reaction there was from the strings without having to push up OD1 and how alive it felt and sounded.

I am on the hunt for another!    :thumb-up:  Greed has always been my thing  >:D
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Ha,well you can call me AMP1  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

When I bought the MP1 (brand new in the day) I had been a Marshall user for many years, but no master or channel switching on my 72 50w so hard to get a lead boost. Suddenly I could have 128 Marshalls in a box all at different levels  :whoohoo!: . Never looked back, and then came MP2 with much better features, even better (for me  >:D ).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

When I bought the MP1 (brand new in the day) I had been a Marshall user for many years, but no master or channel switching on my 72 50w so hard to get a lead boost. Suddenly I could have 128 Marshalls in a box all at different levels  :whoohoo!: . Never looked back, and then came MP2 with much better features, even better (for me  >:D ).

Me too. I was running two halfstacks = Marshall JCM800 and Carvin X100b, until I found my first MP-1. Then, I sold the Marshall, and the Carvin head. I kept the Carvin 4x12 cabinet for my new rack gear (I liked it better than the Marshall cab & I got more money for the Marshall as a set). From there, I sold the 4x12 in favor of a couple of home-made 1x12 cabs for many years. Bought the MP-2 and I was in heaven, until I bought my MP-1 Classic from Kim (thanks Kim!  :thumb-up:) and then....

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

I just now ran across this thread, and MJMP confirmed what I had already suspected about the JMP-1. It IS a weaker preamp!
   Now I think I might have something to go on concerning a tube power amp for the Classic >:D

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Slimjim

• ADA Since 1987
    • YouTube

:headbanger:

The diode distortion is a similar feel to pedals, many of which were diode. ProCo Rat, is a great sounding pedal. The JMP-1 preamp has loads of gain, which is present at all times... I have a stock JMP-1 and enjoy it for many things. The amps I favor with it are the EL34 and EL84 amps to get the mid voiced Marshall sound, works very well for rounded lead sounds. The ADA MP-1 is almost an identical twin, but mine is virtually silent in comparison, and has a more aggressive bite, the ADA sound is distinct in that it is cleaner, and lacks some of the JMP diode character.

Tough to describe how a cleaner amp can be more aggressive, but the EQ voice of the ADA preamp pronounces slightly different frequencies. Depending on the output amp you will hear it differently. For the ADA the 6L6 lower section couples very well, I would hesitate to say either one is better. They are both exceptional. The team of developers over at Marshall clearly (clearly) know their tone. When the ADA debuted it offered some of that but with a slightly more modern take. The ADA tone stack is capable of scooping the mids much better than the JMP-1 and will lean towards Mesa better than the JMP.

But I also have Mesa Rectifier preamp, and it is a beast. The MP-1 sits between a Marshall and a Mesa, and can swing close enough to both to say it is more flexible. I have performed a 'Noise Mod' and it remains the quietest preamp, by far, many many years later.

Tempted to downsize, I can't justify selling anything without losing something. ADA, Marshall, and Mesa are all unique products, unique tones, incapable of duplicating each other. The tendency is to rely on Marshall for classic tones, the Mesa for modern tones and the MP1 for 80s rock.
Les Paul Traditional, ES-335 Lemonburst, Explorer 120, Ibanez UV77 SVR, Suhr PT Sig Std, Rickenbacker 620-12, ESP E-II M-II, Fender H.E.R. Stratocaster, Xaviere XV-900, Buscarino,  
Peavey Classic 50/50, Mesa Stereo 2:100, Marshall EL34 50/50, Marshall JMP, Victoria Sovereign, Victoria Victorilux
________
Sound Sculpture Switchblade GL (x2), Eventide Orville, Eventide H8000fw, TC Electronic 1210, Great River MP2-NV, Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4, Dave Hill Designs Europa 1(x2), UK Sound 1173
_______
Fireface UC, Fireface UFX, Hosa Format Converters
______
Fishman Tripleplay, Spectrasonics Keyscape, Omnisphere, Italo DeAngelis Sound Library
_____
Surface Pro 4, FL Studio 20, EZD2.0, Fabfilter ProQ2, Gullfoss, Waves CLA-3A, CLA-2A, CLA-76, API-2500, SSL G-Series Comp

vansinn

I had a Voodoo Amps mod'ed JMP-1 and there were light years (many) of differences between the stock MP-1 and it.

Just to clarify, I assume you meant a Voodoo Amps modded ADA MP-1, not a Marshall JMP-1.
BTW, Trey stopped doing these mods years ago, due to lack of spare parts. Sad but true..

I just now ran across this thread, and MJMP confirmed what I had already suspected about the JMP-1. It IS a weaker preamp!

I wouldn't call it weaker, but rather a different preamp for different applications. Those Iron Maiden guys have been using the JMP-1 for years; dunno if they still do, or if those might've been modded.

« Last Edit: Time Format by vansinn »

Slimjim

• ADA Since 1987
    • YouTube

Voodoo has stopped doing public mods altogether as of Oct 2016. G'morning Van.
Les Paul Traditional, ES-335 Lemonburst, Explorer 120, Ibanez UV77 SVR, Suhr PT Sig Std, Rickenbacker 620-12, ESP E-II M-II, Fender H.E.R. Stratocaster, Xaviere XV-900, Buscarino,  
Peavey Classic 50/50, Mesa Stereo 2:100, Marshall EL34 50/50, Marshall JMP, Victoria Sovereign, Victoria Victorilux
________
Sound Sculpture Switchblade GL (x2), Eventide Orville, Eventide H8000fw, TC Electronic 1210, Great River MP2-NV, Phoenix Audio DRS-Q4, Dave Hill Designs Europa 1(x2), UK Sound 1173
_______
______
Fishman Tripleplay, Spectrasonics Keyscape, Omnisphere, Italo DeAngelis Sound Library
_____
Surface Pro 4, FL Studio 20, EZD2.0, Fabfilter ProQ2, Gullfoss, Waves CLA-3A, CLA-2A, CLA-76, API-2500, SSL G-Series Comp

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

What do you mean by public mods ,that they do only pro mods? Or did they stop ?

Slimjim

• ADA Since 1987
    • YouTube

Correct, its under 'news'.
________
_______
______
_____

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Ah yes I see that they are putting more time in building amps.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up