ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are mods required to have a good unit?  (Read 2332 times)

crowemag

There is no hiding that us guitar guys feel the need to modify everything to death....myself included. After receiving my MP1 I did some research and immediately did the battery mod. I can justify this one as it is super functional and no harder than replacing the original battery anyway. After further research, I found this lovely forum and about 100 different mods that can be done to the MP1.

After looking into all of the ones I might be interested in I realized I am happy with my unit as is. I must be lucky because mine is dead quiet, has a great sound, and enough gain (especially with a tiny bit of boost from an 80's screamer). I was thinking of doing the 3TM but I do not really need it. A part of me still wants to fiddle around as I am drawn to tinkering with all sorts of things. Doing the battery mod got my blood pumping and well.....I want more.

What are some of the easier, less invasive mods that you guys have done? Thanks!

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: Are mods required to have a good unit?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey there. I have 2, Mp1's. 1 is bone stock and sounds great. The second I did the MDRT mod (super easy) and I did the mod4 mkII. The mod 4 gives it more of that modded jcm800 more mid rangey 80's glam metal tone. Both very simple mods to do. All depends on what you are trying to achieve.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

crowemag

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey there. I have 2, Mp1's. 1 is bone stock and sounds great. The second I did the MDRT mod (super easy) and I did the mod4 mkII. The mod 4 gives it more of that modded jcm800 more mid rangey 80's glam metal tone. Both very simple mods to do. All depends on what you are trying to achieve.

What does the MDRT mod entail?

Now that you mention the Mod 4 I am super intrigued as well! Hahahaha

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Its changing out the power transformer. 4 screws, a couple wires to solder and that's about it. There should be a link in the mod section to mjmp' mod page. I think its www.marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

MDRT is (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm)  Really opens up the dynamics of the unit, IIRC apart from the new transformer there's a component on the tube board that gets replaced (no doubt to handle the higher voltages).  However, it does change the tone and some don't do this mod because they prefer the creaminess/smoothness of the original transformer.
The mods probably fall into 2 main categories, mods for different tone(s)/gain etc and mods to fix things eg noise mods because the caps are old, front/rear jack mod for the early units (when they had the line/inst level top switch).  Then there are wear and tare mods eg jacks, pots etc.There's also EPROM upgrade, v2.01 was the last and added some dump and load to PC functionality and some more factory presets.  The EPROM version is displayed on start up and also on a sticker on top of it (it's near the battery area).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up