ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 45   Go Down

Author Topic: what are you listening to this week?  (Read 237571 times)

DorsetRatt

Re: what are you listening to this week?
« Reply #165 on: Time Format »

Scorpions,these are all great albums,too bad it went really down hill after blackout which was a master piece!

Lonesome crow
Fly to the rainbow   
In trance 
Virgin killer 
Taken by force   
Tokyo tapes
Lovedrive   
Animal magnetism
Blackout

Bit spooky ... I've only just finished going through that exact same list, after the name "schenker" was mentioned not too long ago. I'll throw in a Michael Schenker one as well (cos it seems an often overlooked album)

Michael Schenker: Be Aware Of Scorpions
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #166 on: Time Format »

Schenker only played on lonesome crow and lovedrive and wrote a few songs on the fly to the rainbow album.For me personaly the albums with uli roth were the best scorpion albums.He was and still is one hell of a guitar player.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #167 on: Time Format »

But Rudolph Schenker played on all of them ...

Uli Roth has recently released "Scorpions Revisited", definitely worth a listen  :thumb-up:

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #168 on: Time Format »

That is true, anyway going to check that album.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #169 on: Time Format »

this week

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

DorsetRatt

« Reply #170 on: Time Format »

A mature and responsible approach from me this week ...

Paganini: Violin Concertos No1 and No2

Then again, having problems with my concentration, lets try ...

XYZ: Hungry
     Pole Position: Pole Position
     Cry Wolf: Crunch
     Valentine: Valentine

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #171 on: Time Format »

Aaaah tokyo blade.I modded Andy Boultons MP-1 years ago just before they recorded Thousand man strong and he used it to record the album.Great guy!!!Send me the cd,some t-shirt and whole bunch of tokyo blade pics.He also metioned me on the booklet inside the cd.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #172 on: Time Format »

Aaaah tokyo blade.I modded Andy Boultons MP-1 years ago just before they recorded Thousand man strong and he used it to record the album.Great guy!!!Send me the cd,some t-shirt and whole bunch of tokyo blade pics.He also metioned me on the booklet inside the cd.

Always nice to receive props for a job well done!
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #173 on: Time Format »

No way man that's cool!  I Never iked Tokyo Blade until I heard this album.  I heard Night of the Blade years ago and boy does it suck shit!!!  :poop:

Great music but the shittest girliest vocals ever.  However then I heard the first album and the EP Midnight Rendezvous  right after!!  f**king awesome.  The guys guitar tone reminds me of early Grave Digger from Heavy Metal Breakdown!!  f**king love that tone.  No idea how to get that sound.  Some kinda strange fuzz boost in front of a marshall or some shit probably.

I see Andy Boulton is still in them.................................wonder has he still got an MP1?

Not heard thousand man stong, I must check it out.  That was only 2011 according to wikipedia?  Not long ago MJMP

« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #174 on: Time Format »

Well i like Night of the Blade best,okay it's more refined and less raw but i really like the singing on that album.But midnight rendevous and tokyo blade are also kick ass albums.Have them all on LP and also 2 EP's,Midnight Rendezvous and Lightning Strikes (Straight Through the Heart).

Take a MXR distortion+ (gain at max)and throw it in front of a JCM800 master volume (low input) and you'll get that sound without a problem.Or a boss SD-1 on the high input with gain and level at 12 o clock.This way you can get a lot of these NWOBHM sounds.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #175 on: Time Format »

Well i like Night of the Blade best,okay it's more refined and less raw but i really like the singing on that album.But midnight rendevous and tokyo blade are also kick ass albums.Have them all on LP and also 2 EP's,Midnight Rendezvous and Lightning Strikes (Straight Through the Heart).

Take a MXR distortion+ (gain at max)and throw it in front of a JCM800 master volume (low input) and you'll get that sound without a problem.Or a boss SD-1 on the high input with gain and level at 12 o clock.This way you can get a lot of these NWOBHM sounds.

Totally man, if you like em you like em, respect that  :)  I couldn't enjoy the singing or lyrics myself of Night of the Blade.  However as I said, I discovered the first two releases and f**king hell, totally blown away.  That's really my taste right there.

I don't own a JCM800 and never will.  I do find it really interesting how people get certain sounds though  :) but I usually do my own thing for my own sound if you get me.  Too many people copy one another and don't search for their own thing which is boring.  Take influence yes, but don't try and mimic.  Unless you are in a covers band.  In that case, mimic as best as you can  :thumb-up:

Ok MJMP, what is Wolf Hoffman using to get his sound in the breakdown section of Neon Nights?  To me I almost hear like an octave thing going on there, but so subtle that it's actually just something inherent in his tone I think    :???: :???: :???:
Go to 3.52 on this youtube video of the song and tell me what you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_pBRAaymUQ

I hope you hear what I'm talking about, he probably isn't using anything but I can definitely hear that "octavish" overtone in there and always wondered how he got it.  I hear something like this in the tokyo blade first album and early Grave Digger for sure.  Sounds f**king awesome.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #176 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, just sounds like a harmoniser, as you say octave down. Then the harmoniser is mixed down in the solo (but still there) and turned up for the whammy stuff at then end), well that's what I'm hearing on first listen. Great sound & playing, pretty ordinary song though  :crazy: (although I say that without any context i.e. when ?, but very derivative comes to mind (hey not meaning to poo poo something you like  :facepalm: ), e.g. Deep Purple is much more exiting, to me anyway).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #177 on: Time Format »

Well he's using a marshall amp  :lol: and he's using an old 70's mutron octave divider.If you want to get that sound don't use digital octavers,you need analog ones.But to nail Wolf Hoffmann sound you need the mutron.Been searching for one for years but they freaking expensive, going from 600 to 1000$!!!!!

In the beginning he's using the same effect but with different settings and a wah in front of it.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #178 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, good call, it has a similar sound (audio space ?) to my old Memory Man analogue delay (albeit it's doing pitch shift).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #179 on: Time Format »

Well he's using a marshall amp  :lol: and he's using an old 70's mutron octave divider.If you want to get that sound don't use digital octavers,you need analog ones.But to nail Wolf Hoffmann sound you need the mutron.Been searching for one for years but they freaking expensive, going from 600 to 1000$!!!!!

In the beginning he's using the same effect but with different settings and a wah in front of it.

Yes I knew he was using a marshall I just could not tell if he was using an effect or not.  However I am pleased to report that you validated my thoughts that he is using some kinda device to give that octavish sort of sound through his tone.  Can I ask, if it was a normal thing for guys to play with one of those things on the hole time for their tone?

Again I have no intention of replicating, I'm just curious.  That's for copycats :)  I'll never buy a Marshall head, I don't need one.

Do you think the song is ordinary MJMP?

Hahaha I wouldn't expect Richard to get one of the finest Heavy Metal Bands of all time, (produced by Michael Wagener  on that album also  :thumb-up:) but it's ok he's forgiven.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 45   Go Up