ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking Nut Replacement Dilemma  (Read 28939 times)

WAR_in_D

Re: Locking Nut Replacement Dilemma
« Reply #60 on: Time Format »

Ok for the record, (because I already have said it in the first post WAR_in_d I merely sought others opinions on what they thought was the best solution out of the ideas I first mentioned or to see if anyone had anything better to suggest) 

• Re-drilling I have already mentioned (first post) and to me seems most likely fix - making out it has taken a long time to get to this idea is  :crazy:
  • I will not be trying this my self as I've already said (although I have used the toothpicks fix myself El and MJMP so I see why you suggest it as it will work for some things but I'd rather have a pro do it for this problem)
  • I did not say it would cost £100 I said under £100 for sure
  • I do not have a drill press, perhaps you do WAR_in_d, so it would not be so simple for me to try it - I'll get a pro to do it

Robb Hell anyone?

Point by point:

1.  I never said we're just now coming around to the drill and fill idea.  I'm well aware that you said that in your first post, I heard you the first time you said it.. I'm just pointing out that in the time it's taken for what I feel is the obvious solution to make itself apparent, this could have been fixed already.

2.  I also said that if you didn't feel comfortable doing a job like this yourself, take it to a professional.... or a local girl/boy scout, as they probably have the skills needed to fix this problem.

3.  All I was saying here, is if someone tries to charge you £100 for a job like this or even anything close to that.. You need to run out of there as quickly as possible.

4.  No, I don't have a drill press.. you don't need it for this type of job.  Again, not rocket science here.  This is a very simple fix.

Not sure what Robb Hell means, so I guess I'll leave that one alone.  :thumb-up:

Anyway, I'm out of this convo and good luck...  Again, my apologies if what I said came across as being a d*ck.  I just say what I'm thinking usually, and since tone and inflection are lost with the typed word many times it comes across that I'm being an @$$.. I just have a very dry sense of humor, and I'm pretty "matter of fact".  To put it in my perspective....  This thread is like six guys standing around in the dark trying to figure out the best way to turn on a light switch, and then another person walks in and just flips it on.  The "solution" seems to obvious to me, and I find it funny this thread has gone to four pages (CRAP, this post just started a fifth page!!?!!) but yet the problem and a determination on how to solve it still remains. LOL

Later..  :cheers:

« Last Edit: Time Format by WAR_in_D »

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #61 on: Time Format »

Hey RG. At  least, a good luthier is abble to create  a specific locking nut that  matches with your  guitar : one of my bass is a 6 string headless without double ball system. It is handmade and works very well (I'll send  a  pic  later)
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #62 on: Time Format »

1.  I never said we're just now coming around to the drill and fill idea.  I'm well aware that you said that in your first post, I heard you the first time you said it.. I'm just pointing out that in the time it's taken for what I feel is the obvious solution to make itself apparent, this could have been fixed already.

You implied it

2.  I also said that if you didn't feel comfortable doing a job like this yourself, take it to a professional.... or a local girl/boy scout, as they probably have the skills needed to fix this problem.

No need to be patronizing - AND I have already said I would not attempt the drilling.

3.  All I was saying here, is if someone tries to charge you £100 for a job like this or even anything close to that.. You need to run out of there as quickly as possible.

Yeah I agree

4.  No, I don't have a drill press.. you don't need it for this type of job.  Again, not rocket science here.  This is a very simple fix.

Yeah sure I could drill it myself, but I wouldn't risk it and I think that' sensible enough to be honest.  If you would not use a drill press for this that's up to you, I wouldn't trust my own drilling to get it straight and the right depth.  And that's fair enough because I don't mind paying a luthier to do it for me.
I just have a very dry sense of humor, and I'm pretty "matter of fact". 

No you're just a bit rude

This thread is like six guys standing around in the dark trying to figure out the best way to turn on a light switch, and then another person walks in and just flips it on.

Well we like to discuss things on this forum, talk it out, have a bit of banter while we're at it.  You certainly were not the guy who came in and just flipped on the light switch and provided us all with an answer, no need to be so arrogant and condescending about the participants in this post either.

« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #63 on: Time Format »

so turns out my luthier guy really thinks he can fix the nut, no drilling new holes.  He is a chemist also so I think he's gonna alchemy some shit up and fix the existing steel  locking nut.  Sooooooooooooooooo  that'll be nice, then I can get the pink metal machine back in action!

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #64 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, do tell how he goes (I'm sure you will). Will be nice to get PMM back on the grid  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #65 on: Time Format »

so turns out my luthier guy really thinks he can fix the n8ut, no drilling new holes.  He is a chemist also so I think he's gonna alchemy some shit up and fix the existing steel  locking nut.  Sooooooooooooooooo  that'll be nice, then I can get the pink metal machine back in action!

As soon as you get your pink axe, you' ll need leather  stretch pant !
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #66 on: Time Format »

Now now Tomy, he may have a mo, but leather pants...??

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #67 on: Time Format »

I'm trying to think why I bought this guitar in the first place  :???:  Pink is not a colour I like normally but it looks great on that guitar for some reason.  I bought it as I knew it was rare and it was going for a stupid price and it was in near mint condition.

And to top it all off, it sounds amazing!  Well to me it does.

I considered leather trousers once, but I think the tight jeans are my trademark and I should not deviate!  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #68 on: Time Format »

well the nut is in the hands of the guitar witch doctor.  Lets see what his solution is to the issue.  He is definitely attempting to fix the threads on the base plate.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #69 on: Time Format »

Well War has the best solution IMO.So maybe it's time to convince your girlfriend to buy that drill press for you  ;D
If it was me i would use a dremel with a small drill in it to do this.
Uh it was my suggestion way at the beginning of this post and he was quite condescending about everyone on this thread MJMP.

And no I would never do this on my own guitar I would let a pro do it, I would never f*ck about with wood on my guitar, it's not my forté.

And it seems the guitar luthier I go to fixed it without redrilling.  He used chemical filler and re tapped the nut.  It now works.

And the cost, under £100 was what I thought it would be............under £100 was what it was.

£20 in fact.

He said if it ever goes again to move up a screw size but I personally am unaware of bigger locking nut screw bolts.  Perhaps he knows of some I could use.  Oh well it's fixed now, I shall keep it oiled to prevent further stripping.

Does anyone else here oil bath their FR or locking trems regularly or any other method of deep clean for their trem systems?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #70 on: Time Format »

I just give it a light clean with lemon oil as part of the clean of the whole guitar (not the FB) when I change strings. I do make sure the lock nut and bolts go back in the same spot and I'm careful not to over tighten them.

Samuraipanda

« Reply #71 on: Time Format »

That locking nut looks just like the ones on my Washburns. They are top mounted. Maybe try Washburn Customer tech service to see if they can sell you one or point you in the right direction.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up