ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Neck Oil/Wax finish  (Read 21315 times)

WAR_in_D

Re: Guitar Neck Oil/Wax finish
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Thanks again.  :bow:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey WinD, Wow, what great results  :thumb-up: , my fav is the flamed maple. I notice it got a slight neck PU upgrade between before and after shots, is that a SD57 ?, I just ordered one for a squire strat I'm doing up and I've got a nice new SD hot rails for the bridge. I want something nice and creamy for the neck and my mate in the store said it would be perfect.

So MikeBs fav is the Claro Walnut but we both thought the maple FB would go better with the quilted maple and the rosewood FB with the walnut, just from a looks perspective.

Good to hear you don't feel any residue from the oil.

BTW MP2 going very well, it's my go to MP2 at the moment (very sweet sounding MP2  :whoohoo!: ), although it's got the MP2 issue where I have to start with a patch that includes compressor or no output, so I just adjust my boot up routine to start with a clean patch.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

WAR_in_D

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Hey WinD, Wow, what great results  :thumb-up: , my fav is the flamed maple. I notice it got a slight neck PU upgrade between before and after shots, is that a SD57 ?, I just ordered one for a squire strat I'm doing up and I've got a nice new SD hot rails for the bridge. I want something nice and creamy for the neck and my mate in the store said it would be perfect.

So MikeBs fav is the Claro Walnut but we both thought the maple FB would go better with the quilted maple and the rosewood FB with the walnut, just from a looks perspective.

Good to hear you don't feel any residue from the oil.

BTW MP2 going very well, it's my go to MP2 at the moment (very sweet sounding MP2  :whoohoo!: ), although it's got the MP2 issue where I have to start with a patch that includes compressor or no output, so I just adjust my boot up routine to start with a clean patch.

Thanks..  Yes, the flamed maple has a Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 in the neck now.  The bridge is a Dimarzio Super 3.  I'm thinking of eventually going with a different bridge p/u though, as the Super 3 is really high output and tends to cut the highs a bit more than I'd like.  I chose that particular p/u due to the amount of maple in the guitar, and figured it would help tame the higher frequencies.  I've always kind of thought of that guitar as a great "rhythm" guitar, as it's very chunky sounding.  Since I've gotten away from the rack setup (and the tonal versatility of it), the super output on that bridge p/u really smacks the front end of my current amp setup really hard and can make it sound a bit harsh at times.   

With regard to the necks, the darker ones are actually Pau Ferro..  Although I love the "warmth" of a rosewood neck, I've never really been a fan of rosewood (just from a feel perspective), and have always leaned more toward ebony or maple boards.  Pau Ferro kind of gives the benefits of both, it's more of a tight grain with a harder/slicker feel than rosewood but not quite as bright as ebony and maple so you still retain a bit of warmth to help balance out that super thick maple top.  Also, from an aesthetic point, I thought it would contrast nicely with the maple.

Glad to hear you're still enjoying that MP2..  I really loved the versatility of the rack setup, but that thing was a beast to try to move around. LOL   

Here is a short clip of me just noodling around with the flamed maple guitar, and my old ADA MP2 back around 2008-ish just after it was built.  Sorry it's so dark, but it gives a decent representation of how it sounded... At least on the higher gain channels.  This was just a short demo I did for a guitar forum I was a part of back then, that wanted to hear what the MP2 sounded like.  Don't mind the playing, there really is no rhyme or reason.. LOL

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Sounds really good  :thumb-up:

DorsetRatt

« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

I forgot to update my earlier post on this topic … I finished the Jackson a few weeks ago. It took longer than anticipated but I'm really pleased with the results.

The work on the neck went well. I decided to sand it down to 600 grit to get the feel I was looking for, then 5 or 6 thin coats of oil, and finally a couple of coats of wax. I think the use of wax was an important final step … it does dull the oil finish a little, but it feels nicer to the touch (removes a bit of stickiness).

The work on the guitar body proved more challenging, it took a couple of tries to get it right. For the preparation process I used the oil to wet sand the guitar body and to act as a grain (pore) filler. Then I applied about 8 thin coats of oil, allowing a day or so between coats for drying time, and finally a few coats of wax again.

I've lined up two more guitar necks that I'm gonna refinish now :facepalm:
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Pics,we need pics !!!!!! :lol:

DorsetRatt

« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

... you're absolutely right MJMP, it need pics!!!

Does anybody know how to take good quality guitar pics indoors? I've tried a few times but the light is always fighting against me, whether it's daylight, artificial light, or camera flash ... there's always a reflection.

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

My ex wife is a photographer so I picked up a few tips and tricks, you need to bounce the light of another surface (bounce flash is the technique). She used to aim (bounce) the camera flash of the ceiling. Otherwise you need camera style lighting where the light is aimed into a reflector. Or you could aim lights at a surface (ceiling/wall etc) to make it indirect.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DorsetRatt

« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the tip Richard. Just a few Belgian beers from MJMP and I'll have no problem pointing a camera at the ceiling :???: :))

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Are you sure about that  :lol:

DorsetRatt

« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

:lol: No, I'm not sure now ... I think I should have said "after a few Belgian beers nothing will be pointing at the ceiling" :lol:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Great hahahaha  :lol:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up