ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MicroTube 200 issues  (Read 8154 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
MicroTube 200 issues
« on: Time Format »

Hi Guys,

I though I was having trouble with my MP-2, or a bad cable, but it turned out to be my MT-200. I was using the bridged mono jacks, practicing at home (thankfully) and the volume would jump up occasionally. Little spurts of extra volume. It was strange. It could also have been that I was playing with it in a 'messed up' state and those volume jumps were the actual normal volume.  :dunno:

Anyway, I switched to using Channel A with a smaller speaker cab and all was well....until now. It seems the cancer has spread to channel A now, and channel B. Shit.

I'm gonna yank it outta my rack today, what should I check first?

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: MicroTube 200 issues
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

As it turns out, I too need to do a complete shakedown of my rig for a very similar problem.    :facepalm:

But since you've already narrowed the problem to the MT200, I'd suggest a good cleaning of every pot and jack in it first.   If there are switching type jacks, make sure to clean those switching contacts as well.   Always hit the Easy Stuff first....   :)

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

And then there's this tidbit of info:

My MT200 freaks out

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I read that already...but I didn't know if what I have is a 'burp'

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

That reference was mostly for the chip replacement info should you require it I guess.   

But last night I just went through and cleaned every single jack, switching contact, and pot in my entire guitar chain (MP-2, Intellifex, Classic 60/60) chasing exactly what you've described.  Success!   No more volumes spikes and no more static.   :whoohoo!:

Again, E.S.F.   Check the Easy Stuff First.   :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hmmm... I guess I'll start with the jacks. What's the best way to clean them? Just spray with deoxit and insert a cord 1,000 times?

While I'm inside, should I stay away from any big parts that might knock me across the room?

What else can I check while I'm in there? I'm going to look for swelling caps, discolored bits, and then flip it over to see if any of the solder needs re-flowing (I guess). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Leave it off for a few minutes before you open it. For the rest Kim has a point with ESF , if that doesn't help you can go in deeper.

Kim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hmmm... I guess I'll start with the jacks. What's the best way to clean them? Just spray with deoxit and insert a cord 1,000 times?

1,000 times seems a bit overkill.  998 times would be more appropriate.   ;)   
But seriously, if you need a number......10 is fine.    Spray into the jack and/or on the male 1/4" plug and give it to it.  I can't remember for certain if those jacks are enclosed (but I think they are) so the switching one will be hard to get at the switch contacts.  Best you can do there then is just blast the cleaner into the jack and hope it gets there with the repeated plug inserts.  Also there's an internal cover to remove in order to get at some stuff.  You'll see it when you open it.

And while you're in there, see if you can spray into the front panel pots.  There should be a little access notch or hole to get the spray into the assembly.  Give it a shot of spray and work the knob around.  Then I'd say if you don't see anything obviously wrong in there, button it back up and try it out.     Good luck, we're all counting on you.   :)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Good luck, we're all counting on you.   :)

wow, the pressure is intense

I sprayed the jacks with deoxit and inserted a cord about 998 times last night, I did the knobs as soon as I got it, and have had no issue with scratchiness, so I left them alone. Gonna plug it in tonight and try it out. It usually takes a good half hour of playing before it acts up...
Pages: [1]   Go Up