ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Youtube covers  (Read 10332 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Youtube covers
« on: Time Format »

Just a video of my playing along to some Russian heavy metal from the 80's,  wanted to do a video like this for a while.  It might seem bizarre to some of you as it's in a language I can't even understand but he it doesn't matter, music is the only language we need to undertsand each other right :)

Might do another one when I learn to play something else as well.

Please feel free to use this thread to post any of your own videos of you playing along with things online or anything else you would like to share  :thumb-up:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Youtube covers
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Cool video RG,

You've definitely got the tone for it, and it sounds like you're spot on! :thumb-up:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Orkun

• 80s Hard Rock/Metal Forever
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Good cover :metal: .

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Cool video RG,

You've definitely got the tone for it, and it sounds like you're spot on! :thumb-up:

I thought so anyway.  I really dig that tone.  I got closer when I used a JBL D120 speaker impulse as opposed to another one I normally use (I can't remember what kind  :facepalm:).  I filmed on a camera and recorded in my DI setup that I use for all studio style stuff.  So I had to sync the audio as best I could when editing the video.  I got there eventually but it can be tricky syncing sometime if you have no actual markers!  Looking forward to doing another one, but no idea if I can nail anything harder than that, have trouble with my own music most of the time lol

Thanks Orkun, glad you enjoyed it.  ;)

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Good one  :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Sounds good Gerry!

BTW: I fixed your YouTube link to show the video in the thread  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

haha thanks Dante.  I work in IT and I did not realise how to do that hahahaha

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey RG Cool, I enjoyed that  :thumb-up: , great tone and nice playing, and you looked like you were having fun!!!
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Thanks man  :)

Yeah I like that tone, super mid rangey.

I was enjoying it, but concentrating very hard as I didn't want to embarrass myself and I wanted to make as good a video of playing as possible.  I've often admired others on YT doing something similar and I wanted to test myself.  I had practiced the song 1millions times so I wont lie about that.  I learnt it by ear, as there is no tab for that since it's a pretty obscure band.

Why i started smiling at the end was my girlfriend came up the stairs and started to pretend to sing along!  I didn't mind at that point as I knew I was home and dry but had she done it before the solo it would have distracted me and I'd have made a mistake lol

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, yeah I could tell you'd put some work into it and you did a good job working out the bits  :thumb-up:   I still pretty much work everything out by ear, there was no tab when I was learning.  Sometimes I pick up something from a tab that I just can't quite hear what the guitar is doing, though generally I find tabs frustrating, they are often wrong and I end up just wanting to fix them up. :facepalm: .  But then (as I'm sure Mike will attest to) I often change things a bit, kind of make it my own (if you know what I mean).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Oh I agree, I find it hard working a lot of stuff out, and sometimes I have to go to some tab, but with that song I felt I really deciphered it well.  I know I did two tiny bits a little different, but not so much that when I played along side you wouldn't notice.

I often refer to tabs at the stage when I can't get it myself by ear.  Sometimes I then modify as do you, in order to sound a little more how I think it actually should go like (according to my ears).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Another youtube cover from me.  Another Russian band  :lol:  It's more fun doing random bands.  I mean how many Iron Maiden covers do we need?

Not perfect and I nailed it on previous takes but the dam phone ran out of battery.  I probably will do it again but here is my first attempt.  Learnt a few things during this song, proper use of the whammy bar for a start.  This encouraged me to try and be more musical with my own music.  Also there were some challenging bits in the solo (easy for others may be but difficult to me).  Overall a nice little lesson for myself if anything and a random cover of a band who's first two albums I really enjoy.  The song has an anti nuclear weapons theme I believe from lyric translations I have read.

Aelfad

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey, Gerry! Nice playing there.
BTW, I still have the original Demon LP by August :-)

Rusty

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hi RG, nice wan, you have those tunes well nailed, the sound is good too, spot on, Great.  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey, Gerry! Nice playing there.
BTW, I still have the original Demon LP by August :-)

Hi Aelfad, I bet that record goes for a high price these days.  They're a really good band.  Their singer (as far as I can tell) still sounds really good on more modern youtube clips of them playing live.  Unusual name for a band is "August", but hey what the hell!!!  Glad you enjoyed the playing.  I will nail it better next time though  :thumb-up:

Hi RG, nice wan, you have those tunes well nailed, the sound is good too, spot on, Great.  :thumb-up:
Hi Rusty,  the "Demon" track I did a couple of years ago, probably can't play half of it now.  But the other one I've been working on for a while.  I like that song a lot so I felt it was within my playing capabilities despite the solo having stuff in it I couldn't do before so it was a lesson that paid off I feel.  Glad you liked it.

The sound is just into my Rockmaster > Boss SX700 (bit of reverb) > EPSI impulse pedal (can't remember the cab and speaker I have loaded) then direct into my multitrack.  It was hard making the video as I had three audio tracks to sync up.  That from my phone, the one I recorded on the multitrack and then the actual music track.  So I may have played that little bit tighter but it got lost in the syncing up.

Rockmaster has the two temporary mods done on it.  A lo pass EQ having a cap parallel to a resistor and then one of the coupling cap mods I spoke to you about before.  Think I will make these permanent now as I like the sound.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up