ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a Snakecharmer Footswitch  (Read 9488 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Making a Snakecharmer Footswitch
« on: Time Format »

Okay, I have the Viper, I love the Viper, I want to control the beast that is the Viper. Gotta make a footswitch

Now, I can solder all day, and I can drill a hole in a box. Hell, I can even turn a wrench to tighten up a nut and figure out how to make a couple foot switches taller than the ones in front of them with extra nuts. Yeah, I guess you could say I mechanickel. That said, I cannot figure out a schematic to save my life.

So, how's about you big-brain types hook a brother up with a parts list to order from your preferred electronics supply store so I can get busy wit dis?

Heeeeere's the schematic, for your reference.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Making a Snakecharmer Footswitch
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Maybe you could start simple with just 4 switches (no led's). Not 100% sure it will work this way but it's easy to build so you could give it a shot.
You need 4 momentary switches (S1-4), 4 resistors (R1-4) and a female stereo jack (J1).
The J1 connection from top to bottom are tip, ring, sleeve. Resistors can vary between 1k and 1k5. (but 4 times the same value).

Let me know if you have any questions

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I wonder what a Quad switch could do to help....I have no schematic for that.   :dunno:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

A quad switch won't work  ;D but here's the schematic

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Thanks guys, that diagram looks simple enough. So, any particular switches I should use?

I will find the resistors and switches on Mouser.com and see if I picked the right things before I buy

Dante

UPDATE: Can I use something like this?  https://pedal-parts.com/en/home/footswitches/3pdt-illuminated-double-led

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

if it's a momentary switch, then yes.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Like this? https://www.ebay.com/p/Alpinetech-LXL30-Green-30mm-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch-Illuminated-120v-LED-No/1757745721?iid=321713304316

They come in RED and GREEN, how cool would that be?

I swear, I feel like the only guy in the world with a Viper that doesn't have a footswitch.  :-\

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

You guys are not going to believe this...but... you can use a regular ADA Quad switch as a pedal for this amp!!!!

Just for shits and giggles, I plugged my Quad switch into the amp. It was set on toggle, not momentary, and the four switches were changing channels. However, they would also automatically turn on the boost. With some trial & error, I figured out that if you set switches 1&3 to momentary, and 2&4 to toggle, you can switch channels with Button 2 and turn the boost on/off with Button 4. HOW FRICKEN COOL IS THAT?

Now, I'll buy another Quad switch and rip out the innards to put it into a 2-button housing I already have.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

You guys are not going to believe this...but... you can use a regular ADA Quad switch as a pedal for this amp!!!!

Just for shits and giggles, I plugged my Quad switch into the amp. It was set on toggle, not momentary, and the four switches were changing channels. However, they would also automatically turn on the boost. With some trial & error, I figured out that if you set switches 1&3 to momentary, and 2&4 to toggle, you can switch channels with one button and turn the boost on/off with the other button. HOW FRICKEN COOL IS THAT?

Now, I'll buy another Quad switch and rip out the innards to put it into a 2-button housing I already have.

Another Win for Dante!    :whoohoo!:    Good thing those Quad switches are fairly plentiful.  Well, at least far more plentiful than the actual Snake Charmer footswitch.  Reverb.com always seems to have 3-4 available.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

UPDATE: I have tried all other combinations with the little switches in the Quad switch to change the buttons from latching to momentary. The only combination that works with the Viper is the 2&4 set to toggle (1&3 set to momentary). BTW: I took my Quad switch apart to peek inside...There is a big ol' PCB inside the Quad switch and it's about as big as the housing...yer not gonna put that in a smaller pedal housing.

I already bought a Quad switch on Reverb. When it gets here, I will desolder buttons 1&2 and put tape over the holes, leaving me with a 2-button switch in a big housing. So what, it works. I've been jamming all evening and it works like a charm! Who knew?

It's actually better than a 4-button switch, because A) it takes up less space on a pedal board, and B) it's way more efficient using two buttons instead of four.

I set my amp boost to be a 'slight' volume boost and use my Nova System's boost for big solos. Great to have a couple options.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Well it seems you got lucky  ;D I would never risked doing this, but no pain no gain  ::)

Now if you want to use a small housing you could still use the schematic i gave you. You don't have to wire up all the switches should you wish to discard some.

BTW a ADA TFX-4 footswitch would also work.

A question to the viper owners, when you hook up the switch and you change the channel on the amp do the leds on the switch change? Normally they should, just curious.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

UPDATE: I bought a used Quad switch online. I desoldered buttons 1 and 3 and removed them. I taped over the entire face with low-tack painter's masking tape to protect the face, then covered the whole thing with a vinyl decal (like a vehicle wrap material). Rather than spend the money to actually laminate the sticker, I put clear packing tape over it instead. Very rock and roll.  :banana-dance:

Here's a pic of my new pedal board for the Viper.

Description of contents shown:
  • Ghetto Snakecharmer footswitch ala ADA Quad switch and a bit of modification
  • TC Electronics Nova System
  • Boss V-Wah
  • Rowin Mini Tuner
  • Line6 G50 Wireless

Yes, using a combo takes a bit more tap dancing, but the sound of the amp makes it totally worth it

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Very cool Dante  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hi Dante,

Nice job, I've always like the way you decorate your pedal board, I know your Quad, mxc, look Psychedelic ! :thumb-up:

Did you get an idea to use the different voicing with the quad switch ??

Tomy
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, you are the pedal "artist"  ;D
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up