ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RiphRaph Metal Patch  (Read 7314 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
RiphRaph Metal Patch
« on: Time Format »

I dug up some archived pages of our beloved Depot discussion board from 2007  :amaze: and found this from our ol' pal RiphRaph:

dist voicing
od 1 9.0
od 2 9.0
bass 12
mid -12
treble 12
presence 12
master at 8

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: RiphRaph Metal Patch
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Apart from the -12 mids the patch is kind of like turning all the nobs to 13 on a Marshall  :lol:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

darralld

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

This patch on my MP-1 would have so much noise it wouldn't even be useable. Is it my unit, or is that the norm?

Darrall

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hi Darrall, and it would be squealing like a banshee I imagine, stand clear and mute those strings  :amaze:
There are a bunch of noise mods that can be done (mostly for the MP1) which no doubt help.  MJMP is the guru for that stuff and Dante has posted some MP1 stuff from the old forum which I think includes some noise mods.  Also the various firmware (EPROM) updates may make a difference.  Of course various pickups react differently to high gain levels, EMGs are popular for high gain as they still provide reasonable articulation of the notes and are fairly well behaved.  I find myself playing with less distortion these days and thus am less affected.  My MP2 has a noise gate (as does the MP1 classic I believe) which helps quite a bit.
Depends what you want to play, if you are into the very high gain sounds, there are a few board members who can offer some good advice.
How old are the tubes in your MP1 ?, getting a good pair of low noise tubes will often sort out some noise issues.

darralld

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I purchased my MP-1 used but it looks like it has had the noise mod done to it. I changed the tubes out. Maybe some better ones would help some. To be honest I never get the OD's above 5.But even at that level have some noise issues. I have the active EMG 81 / 85 in my Les Paul & Passives in my Kramer. I do have a hush in the loop. Have thought about getting the updated EPROM for it. Maybe I'll have to go ahead and try that. Would love to get my hands on a Classic!

Darrall

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Updating the EPROM is definitely worth doing, MJMP has them for sale (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm), looks like V2.01 is the latest for the MP1.  It's not good you are experiencing noise issues with ODs so low (comparatively), now I understand better why you thought to put a tube screamer in front, you shouldn't need to, new tubes should help, if it's still too noisy after that there may well be other issues.  I could understand RiphRalfs patch being noisy coz the ODs are maxed out but ODs around 6 or 7 should be fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up