ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tubes Advice  (Read 115105 times)

Rodney_g

Re: New Tubes Advice
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

If you play in band though you´ll come to the point where you discover that once the drummer enters the room it doesn´t matter what tubes or other snake oil parts you use  8)

True dat! :lol:
Kemper > Peavey Classic Series 5050 Power Amp > ADA SplitStack (WGS Vet30s on top, WGS ET-65s on bottom)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

You have to throw your guitar behind the drumset from time to time,that usually calms drummers down  :lol:
A marshall cab if they are really out of line.  >:D

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

My 2 cents worth is the Boogie STR tubes work really well in an MP1, that's what I had in mine before I sold it and went to an MP2.  The New Sensor Mullard reissues are awesome in my MP2.  I tried some STRs in the MP2 and they were great except they broke up a bit on the bottom E.  The Mullards are much more 3D and I'm now a convert.  As everyone says though, tubes are very subjective.  Fortunately 12AX7s are not too expensive so you can try a few variations (and end up with a drawer full of tubes).  Agree Dougs Tube are very good and provide good advice.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Hamer95USA

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Whatever 12AX7 preamp tubes you buy, make sure that the preamp tubes are rated at 110mu.

Guitar George

heavyelement

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I am addicted to the sovtek 12ax7wb tubes. I have been using them for years in all my amps . They have a warmer tone to them , I don't like a real bright sound in my distortion channel. To help this chart I posted should help all.

Rev.Troy King
Adjutant American Legion Post 504
Commander
Kane County American Legion
Co-Founder of Stuff On The Floor Studios

El Chiguete

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Interesting chart, but I would like to know what do you guys think of the Noise chart?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey Heavyelement, thanks for the charts, very interesting and also (as he says) provides a frame of reference for comparisons.

El Chiguete, the noise test seems/is more a test for microphonics I spose as they just tapped the tubes. So this would be indicative of what/how surrounding noise/vibration will affect/be picked up by the tube

heavyelement

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

The one thing I can't figure out is what el34 tubes to switch to, I hate the JJ's in my head.
Rev.Troy King
Adjutant American Legion Post 504
Commander
Kane County American Legion
Co-Founder of Stuff On The Floor Studios

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

As with 12AX7s, there's plenty to pick from (6CA7/EL34).  NOS Mullards or RCAs are the go if you can find/afford them.  Also the older NOS tubes were pumped longer for a better vacuum and thus last longer.  Given how the New Sensor Mullard 12AX7s have been for me (f#cking great  :thumb-up: ), I'd try their EL34 re-issues.  But again it's very subjective and there are lots of choices.  Bit more expensive tube rolling on power tubes than input tubes.

AxeHarmony

• Vintage ADA = Cool
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JJ-ECC803S-tubes-the-best-in-12AX7-type-long-plates-Brand-New-/150960202620?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2325ede37c

this is an awesome deal...

JJ long plates, I don't like reg JJ, but these long plates have deeep tight bass and extended highs too (SCOOP) - these russian long plates sound great in the MP-1 as do the old GE USA long plate & if you can find a good deal get some old GE usa made long'ies  !!!
JJ's Long plates are pretty similar sounding compared to GT long plates the -R2  - the -R3 are the hi gain ones and I assume close to JJ high gains (made in russia ) I have not tried those but am curious if any one has comparded those with JJ's ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Groove-Tubes-GT-12AX7-R2-Preamp-Tube-R2-Brighter-12AX7-R2-Preamp-Tube-/171196819257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dc202739

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Hey AxeHarmony, great tips except he was asking about EL34s (output tubes), well that's my understanding ??? .  My Carvin TS100 has Grove Tube 6L6 tubes which are nice and transparent.  So GT EL34s would no doubt be reasonable (but I haven't tried them).  My 1972 Marshall 50 has US GE EL34s, they've been quite good over the years, prior to those I used Mullard EL34/6CA7s in it.  Probably a bit hard to find these days but there maybe some NOS (new old stock) available although as I said previously NOS tubes can be very expensive.

AxeHarmony

• Vintage ADA = Cool
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

no power tubes in an MP-1...

I was answering to this threads subject ... (mp-1 preamp tubes)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

The one thing I can't figure out is what el34 tubes to switch to, I hate the JJ's in my head.
If indeed heavyelement is talking power tubes (EL34s) we have wandered off the topic a bit.  No power tubes in an MP1 just 2 (3 or 4) 12AX7 pre-amp tubes

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

no power tubes in an MP-1...

I was answering to this threads subject ... (mp-1 preamp tubes)
Hey AxeHarmony, indeed you were, sorry, and some interesting tube choices at that, my understanding is that JJs are Slovakian tubes (ex Tesla) and that GT, Boogie, Ruby and others test/match JJ tubes and re-badge them, nice tubes though, great in a MP1.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

I am addicted to the sovtek 12ax7wb tubes. I have been using them for years in all my amps . They have a warmer tone to them , I don't like a real bright sound in my distortion channel.

Y'know, those are the toobs that were in my first MP-2 and I tried a million other things only to put those two back in. Very warm sounding, as you say, and seemingly fuller than most 12AX7s (I also have a distaste for the fizz of a bright distortion sound)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up