ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tubes Advice  (Read 115143 times)

Richman

New Tubes Advice
« on: Time Format »

What is the best choice for a stock MP-1 first version ? I have Mesa 12AX7 in there now but I have no idea how old they are. I want to get some new tubes but I'm hoping for some tried and true advice in this area. I've read about people using JJ's but I don't use them in my marshalls.
Richman

Richman

Re: New Tubes Advice
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12AX7-ECC83-Tube-Types/Preferred-Series-7025-12AX7

I was looking at these tubes...
Richman

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Richman,

It depends on what you're looking for. My personal choice may not be yours. I was going for a severe overdrive, instead of facemelting gain, if that makes any sense. What is it you're trying to achieve?

Richman

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Pretty much the super high gain 80's modded Marshall sound...Early Paul Gilbert / Racer X tones... I'm real close to that now....Any advice?
« Last Edit: Time Format by Richman »
Richman

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Honestly, I'm not the guy to ask...but there are plenty of folks in here that can answer that.

If it were me, I'd test all the ones I have - in each position. Position (v1 & v2) makes a HUGE difference.

MrIcee

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Being the MP1 addict that I am ;)(I own 4 originals), I've used JJ's, reissue Mullards and Tung Sols.

The JJ's are nice for the price, I also have them in a first gen Carvin Quad-X. I have the Mullards in one of the MP-1's and they are fat, clean around the edges and overdrive/distortion to your hearts desire.

The Tung Sols....my favorite. Like the Mullards in many ways but more of a focused, hi-fi modded Marshall tone. I also have 9 of these in a 2nd Gen Carvin Quad-X and they turned it into a monster. The clean channels sparkle and Channel 4 became incredibly ass kicker.

AS always, this topic is subjective to an individuals taste and ear and this is solely my opinion. Any of the above will blow away the more common EH WA+WB variations.

Best regards,
Randi :D

Richman

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Good info thanks....What JJ tube number do you use.   12AX7S ??? Short Plate????
Richman

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

JJ only has ECC83S short plates

Richman

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Yes that's what I meant to say....
Richman

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I LOVED my Mullards and/or Tung Sols 12ax7's.  Used in my two MP-1 and the Engl e530.

It was somehow warm and face melting at the same time!
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

Ibanez RG

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

In my MP-1 are JJ ECC83 S, in MP-2 are Tung-Sol 12AX7. :)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I use Ruby 12AX7ACZ HG,these are actually JJ ECC83S tubes tested by Ruby.

Rodney_g

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I love my Penta 12ax7 high gain tubes...http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/penta-12ax7.html
My first MP-1 came with a  really sweet sounding set of Groove Tubes 12AX7Cs and the high gain Pentas are the closest thing that I've found that get that high gain but not harsh distortion going on. Doug over at Doug's Tubes is very helpful with recommendations as well. 
Kemper > Peavey Classic Series 5050 Power Amp > ADA SplitStack (WGS Vet30s on top, WGS ET-65s on bottom)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I love my Penta 12ax7 high gain tubes...http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/penta-12ax7.html
My first MP-1 came with a  really sweet sounding set of Groove Tubes 12AX7Cs and the high gain Pentas are the closest thing that I've found that get that high gain but not harsh distortion going on. Doug over at Doug's Tubes is very helpful with recommendations as well.

+1 Doug is awesome  :thumb-up:

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Back in the day when the MP-1 was designed it was meant to be an even-hotter-rodded Marshall typo sound.
They designed it around the Chinese 12AX7A (MP-1s were shipped with "National" 12AX7A .... MJMP pls correct me if I´m wrong).
So to get that most original MP-1 sound my way to go would be TAD 12AX7A-C as these are (imho) the finest Chinese 12AX7 tubes avlbl today.
The JJ ECC83S have a bit tamed high/higher end which (once again imho) makes them a bit more "pleasing" to the ear; their gain and sound comes from the mids.
Do some tube-rolling and find your favorites! NOS Balckburn Mullards sound awesome in the MP-1, as does the Re-Issues (which are, like the modern TungSols, made by Sovtek....).
If you play in band though you´ll come to the point where you discover that once the drummer enters the room it doesn´t matter what tubes or other snake oil parts you use  8)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up