• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

Flashing LED and buttons unresponsive

Started by mrguitar, November 13, 2018, 07:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrguitar

Oh no! I was enjoying my new/old mp1 and played it for about 30 min today and now the interface seems "frozen" for lack of a better description.

I tweaked some of the midi channel setup, and then was tweaking the chorus settings on a patch. I didn't want to save anything so I tried to change presets and now the LED screen is flashing the patch number and none of the buttons seem to do anything. They still lightup during boot, but I cannot control anything on the unit. It still sounds great though, albeit I'm stuck on tube clean. Power cycling doesn't seem to help.

I ran a few searches on the forum and didn't find anything that described an easy fix. I tried to reload the factory settings and that's not even possible right now.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'll install the noise mod I just ordered in a week or so, and can swap out the tubes. Anything else I should look at? Cheers,

MarshallJMP

mrguitar

Interesting so Edit works *IF* it's the first button pressed. I can enter edit mode change anything, works perfectly. I can exit edit mode by pressing edit and/or store the preset. .....after that, no buttons works, including edit. I just reread the manual to make sure I'm not totally forgetting something totally obvious. ....If I am (wouldn't be the first time for user error) I can't figure it out.

MarshallJMP, does that tell you anything? ....man I hope I'm missing something obvious.

mrguitar

My apologies, I just noticed there's a tech tips and support section. This thread should have been opened there. I'm still a noob, but I'll get it right next time. :)

rnolan

Maybe try pressing the MIDI CHNL button  :dunno: , (since you were playing with it).  Pressing once should let you change the MIDI number, pressing again will save the receive chan number you selected (1-16, All (Omni) or Off) and take you back to play mode (maybe it's stuck there waiting ?).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

mrguitar

Thanks for the idea rnolan. Right before I saw this I tried removing the battery and reinstalling it (so glad I added a battery tray!), and now it's working as expected. I suspect you're right that I managed to get it stuck while screwing with the midi buttons.

It's crazy to think that it's been almost 20 years since this was my main rig. Wow, I got rusty on this unit. :) Super glad it's working right now.

rnolan

:whoohoo!: Glad it's working now  :thumb-up: , my next suggestion was going to be pull the EPROM and reinstall but the battery tray (I'd forgotten you'd done that mod  :facepalm: ) is a more elegant way to do the same/similar thing, if you'd had to desolder the battery then pulling out the EPROM and reinstalling it should/may have done similar  :dunno: , the other option would be (carefully) remove and reinstall the Z80 CPU chip.  I've done that in a MB1 and it causes a total reset and full diagnostic boot clear the decks as it were...Anyway great news.

mrguitar

Thanks rnolan,

I'm sure those next level troubleshooting tips will come in handy. Thanks for passing that along. btw I see in your signature you're still rocking the midiverb 4. That was my fx processor whenI had my original MP-1 back in the day. I imagine it still holds up. There's a cheap TC G Major on craigslist that I've been eye balling. ....so tempting to get one, a little 3u case and midi controller. :) 

rnolan

I've got the MV4 in my live rig but don't really use it, I still have my original Quadverb set with some mild stereo delay and reverb.  Been quite a while since I bothered with other Fx, in my studio rack I have a TC MOne XL, again just some mild delay and reverb.  When I put the MV4 in the rig I had intended to possibly run up some patches with it e.g. flange, bigger delays etc but never bothered  :facepalm: .  A G Major would be a good addition for you IMHO.  My mate MikeB has a GMaj2 and gets some great sounds from it and also some CC control.  He's coupled it all with a Behringer FCB 1010 midi pedal for the midi control, I use the ADA MXC with expression pedal and Quad switch which maps very nicely with my MP2(s).I'd go at least a 4RU case (well I'd kind of need min 6 RU, but my rack is 8RU and I have a small mixer velcroed to the bottom, but this includes poweramp (currently Carvin DCM 200L, 1 RU) (So MP2, Quadverb, MB1, MV4, DCM200L, mixer...)
Anyway, seems it's time to grow a rig  :thumb-up: >:D :headbanger: :whoohoo!:

mrguitar

Well I hesitated on the g-major and it's gone. Oh well, last night I ran the MP-1 into my Kemper and it's pretty killer. I'm really just using the spkr cab and delay, plus the foot controller can send program changes to the MP-1. I may run with this for the time being. It's good stuff.

rnolan

Not to worry, there will be other Fx to pounce on.  It will be interesting to see what Behringer do with the GMaj2, I heard TC have sold it to them.