ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixing Richards 240v MP-1  (Read 3753 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Fixing Richards 240v MP-1
« on: Time Format »

So I bought this MP-1 a while ago and also got a US MP-1 in the deal.  The US one works fine.  The 240v MP-1 worked ok for 15 mins or so then stopped responding to program changes and now won't boot up completely.  So when you power it on it goes through some checks, display 1.38 (EPROM version) the displays ADA and goes no further.

I have given it to my tech Tim to fix and also created an account for him on here (username Tim) So he can hopefully post about the repair and also ask questions etc if/as needed.  Obviously any ideas anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

So far he thinks its power related (IIRC MJMP said that to ages ago when I first fired it up).  So first he said he'd check the caps around the power supply.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Fixing Richards 240v MP-1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

What's a power relater????

So it starts up or does it get stuck in the boot sequence?

MikeB

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Pretty sure he means "power related".
I don't feel tardy!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Ah yes I see it now, stupid of me  :facepalm:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Fun fact: the power relator comes directly after the powerlator

move along...nothing to see here... C:-)

Tim

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

first post here ,thanks Richard.Richard has kindly supplied all the service info for it ..The MP1 was getting to the ada screen and locking up . I checked the power supply rails and all were o.k. 15v / 5v and others seemed o.k.The  caps in the area o.k. with esr meter I have not checked with the cro for ripple but I decided to heat the board up in the power supply and main area and it booted up and started working again. So still guessing caps somewhere at the moment.Has anyone else seen this fault ?no sense in reinventing the wheel :-)

In the morning I'll see if its locks up again when cooler and try and pinpoint the area better - I think its most likely where the tubes are as caps look like they have been cooking up a bit with the heat.
Will keep you posted . cheers.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Go Tim, so it worked again  :crazy: ,  when I bought it he said it wasn't working but the US one he got to replace it for gigs was working fine.
So I tried them both when I got them home and it worked for a little while which got me excited, then it stopped responding to midi patch changes  :facepalm: .  I fiddled with it a bit, puled the CPU and EPROM chips out and put them back in which seems to initiate a full diagnostic boot (based on doing it with one of MB-1s) but that didn't help.

So MJMP it was getting stuck in the boot sequence, got as far as displaying ADA and went no further.  You may not remember when we talked about this ages ago  :dunno: and I got a zap of the board (which surprised you) and I cut my finger on the underneath sharp component ends as I pulled my finger out. So I went to bed and haven't touched it since until now.

Tim

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Plugged it in again this morning- still working ?  :o
I'll keep it on the bench for a while and see what happens.( intermittent problems are a pain! )
n.bYou must have touched the tubes supply or the 240 input to get zapped.  Wakes you up doesn't it ;-)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey Tim, well that's strange, well while it's working, plug a gitar into it, run the a/b/ outs into a stereo amp/speakers and try the factory presets, patch 1 is Marshall.  Alternately you can run one channel into your JCM500 flick that top switch so it's instrument level, you'll need t play with the amp eq a bit t get it flat.
If you play it for a while, change patches IIRC the first 4 banks have factory patches (a variety of sounds for various guitars)

When I got zapped, I had my hand/finger under the CPU pushing up while I pushed it in/down from on top, so it was strange as there shouldn't be any big voltages there.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Midi, maybe a bad contact in the ribbon cable connectors, have you tried to pull it out and put it back in again?

Another thing to try is replacing the diodes D38,D39 these can fail sometimes giving an unstable 5V to the µP at startup.

Tim

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Thanks , I'll change the diodes Just in case. That could be it as it was just on boot up it was locking up at the ADA screen going no where. cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up