ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 & G-System  (Read 3548 times)

Sirion

MP-1 & G-System
« on: Time Format »

First of all, I am doing a PhD on the other side of the globe from where my rig is, so I'm going to ask here about things that I otherwise would have spent time experimenting with myself. When I get to play the whole thing for a week a year it is good to be able to limit setup time to the bare minimum. (This will fortunately change next year.)

So, I got a G-System earlier this year, and in a couple of days I will finally have the opportunity to set it up with an MP-1. The G-System sounds great, but it is well known that it can be somewhat whimsical. I have read the Laird White Paper well, but I would be very interested in hearing of any experiences people here have had with this combination.

I will be sending the two units above in wet/dry into either a Marshall solid state 9040 or a tube 9100 power amp, and from there into a stereo 4x12 with Greenbacks.

The first question is where I should put the FX loop section of the G-System. In the MP-1 FX loop (probably not!)? In the output? Line or instrument level? If the latter, do I have to compensate somehow?

Any experiences with this combination would be very interesting to hear of.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: MP-1 & G-System
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I have been toying with the idea of a G-system for the past few months. While I don't have any actual experience with that unit I can point you to someone who can. If you go on you tube and search "g system video's" you will find that channel is Scott's and he has over 300 g system videos, including set ups and tones. He did some promo demo work for TC Electronics, great player and a nice guy. He didn't hook one up to an MP1 but he does hook one up to a JMP1. Ideally that's the set up routing you want.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Wow, interesting gadget. Unfortunately it's mono in, stereo out  :facepalm: .
So 2 ways come to mind (unless you want to run mono in and loose half the MP1 (stereo chorus mostly)). These 2 options preserve stereo of both units.

1. Use a small 4 channel desk/mixer with one FX send:
Guit > G-Sys in, G-Sys 5th Element send > MP1 in, MP1 fx loop send OR mixer fx send > 5th Element rtrn, MP1 A/B out > mixer chan 1 & 2, G-Sys L/R out > mixer 3 & 4, Mixer L/R out > stereo poweramp etc.

2. Guit > G-Sys in, G-Sys 5th Element send > MP1 in, MP1 fx loop send > 5th Element rtrn, MP1 A/B out > stereo poweramp 1, G-Sys L/R out > stereo poweramp 2 etc (so kind of wet/dry but needs 2 poweramps and appropriate speakers  >:D ).

However, if you can individually pan the G-Sys loop returns  :dunno: (and depending how the G-Sys loops work (normally loop in/out toggles the return on/off and send stays active)) you could go:
Guitar > G-Sys in, Loop1 send > MP1 in, MP1 Out A/B > Loop1 & Loop2 returns, G-Sys L/R out > stereo power amp
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Sirion

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hah! I've actually bought quite a few patches from Scott in the past, but I didn't think so far as to look at the rest of his rig! But yes, that should do the trick nicely. You guys rock!  :homer:

SAVANNAH

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

It's a great content for me, which will give me a better understanding.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Chucky used a G-system with his...hit him up
Pages: [1]   Go Up