ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery-less mod  (Read 22002 times)

vmaxvmax

Battery-less mod
« on: Time Format »

Hi,

Has anyone used the Simtek STK12C68-PF45 for a battery less mod? If so any issues?

I have done the standard battery mod - but this seems like a surefire way of keeping the presets...

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Battery-less mod
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Yes http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1464.0
Although since you've done the standard battery mod you probably good for another 20 years LoL
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vmaxvmax

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thank you for the really quick answer. - I should have searched and found that thread...

Seems the downside is that you lose the reset facility in the case of corruption.

I'll stick with the battery mod!

I am just rediscovering my MP-1 after having left it for the last ten years! It is still a great machine.

Thank you again.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

No worries, good you are re-discovering your MP-1  :thumb-up: .  I had to dig around a bit to find that thread, I knew it was there somewhere...
I think you could still do a factory restore and clear the patches with the battery-less mod ?  You can also do a dump to PC (sysex) and then reload them.  And the ultimate fail safe is to write them down.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Folks I've come back to ADA MP-1 after a 20 year hiatus and just bought MP1s. 20 years ago replacing the battery wasn't something that ever came up. I did a search on here and didn't find any info on replacing or doing a basic battery mod, not the battery less. Could any of you share a link or give a brief walk through?

Thanks  :)
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, the original batteries went way longer than we expected.  Most MP1s are pretty much due for a change. We started getting more and more battery fail issues. There are a few posts IIRC regarding the dead batteries  :facepalm: .  When the battery goes you loose all your presets, so if there are any you want to keep write them down.  The factory presets are stored in the EPROM so you can load them again easily.  The battery keeps the RAM alive and is where all the changed presets are stored.

The battery mod is reasonably straight forward.  Just involves removing the old battery and installing a battery holder and new battery (CR2032 Lithium). Then future battery changes a easy.
The battery holder required for MP1 is the type that mounts flat to the PCB.  You can buy them from electronics stores (MP2 batteries mount vertically).  MJMP also has them available including battery and instructions (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).

The battery needs to be 2.7v or better, less than 2.7v you should change.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Man thanks so much for the info rnolan and the replay my friend!
This sounds fairly simple so when I get my units I'll hit you guys up for a little more guidance if needed.

By the way, how will I know if the battery is bad or getting low?
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Best is to measure the voltage of the battery, if it's below 2,7V it's time to change it.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, not sure how under the hood you are ? so just in case  :dunno: , take off the top cover (while unit not plugged in), locate the battery, use a multimeter (if you don't have one yet it's a good idea to get one  :thumb-up: ) and measure the DC voltage of the battery (one probe on +ve, one on -ve).  If it's less than 2.7 v time for battery change.  When the battery dies the unit still works, it just doesn't "remember" any of your stored patches.
The MP1 is a many splendid thingy, if you develop a particular patch or patches (which undoubtedly you will) that you love..., write them down (some advice from a long time user ).

VoxG2

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

"the original batteries went way longer than we expected." They sure did! I have an old MP-1 with the hole in the top to the switch, Version 1.0, and my battery says Made In USA, so you know that sucker is old. I am starting to see glitching from time to time, I need to change it, but don't know how.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey VoxG2, first thing is write down any patches you really care about.  Changing the battery will erase them all (except factory settings, they are on the EPROM and you can reload them easily).  The battery mounts to the MP1's main PCB in 2 spots (a +ve & -ve).  The original battery will have solder lugs attached to it and they are soldered into the PCB.  You can either get a new battery (3v Lithium e.g CR2032) which has the solder lugs attached, de-solder the current battery, and solder in the new one, or get a battery holder and solder that in instead.  To do the soldering, you need to remove the top and bottom covers, de-solder/solder from underneath the PCB.  If you shine a desk lamp onto the top side it helps see where the components are from underneath.

One thing I would say (not knowing how you are with a soldering iron etc), use a decent soldering iron that you can dial in the temperature and a small "chisel" tip  :thumb-up: and watch a few soldering/de-soldering you tube clips (there's quite a few good ones).

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey rnolan thanks for the advice!

Man this stuff is all so new yet old at the same time really. There was a time in 1996' when I had 7 ADA MP-1s because when the grunge thing hit you buy a MP-1 here in Las Vegas for $80.00!!!! SERIOUSLY! So I had several and the only issue was if the faceplate was clean and not damaged. Other than that there weren't any issues.
 So I'm having to go through all these threads and catch up on all the little issues -  AND mods no available.

So I'm grateful for all the info and time you are spending with me!  :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

No worries, happy to help  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

If you have a V2.xx eprom you can also save your presets on a computer with midi sysex files.Change the battery and put the backup back into the mp-1.This doesn't work with V1.xx eproms though.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

OK this seals the deal for me then Marshall JMP - the ability to download and save on the  V2 versions is huge to me. Those are the ones I'll look for from now on!  :green-banana-smiley-emoticon:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up