ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AD/DA Conversion???  (Read 5211 times)

Metropolis

AD/DA Conversion???
« on: Time Format »

Wondering about the importance of pure analog signal.  I run the A and B MP1 outputs to the L and R inputs of a Intellifex and then L and R outputs to the A and B inputs of a Microcab II to  MosValve 962 to stereo 2x12 cab.  Am I losing some sound quality ???
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: AD/DA Conversion???
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Do you like how it sounds now?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

While SCs question (and subsequent answer) is very valid... yes you lost quality (but do you care (is kind of what SC is saying, if it sounds how you want...and your happy, well cool). For me, can I make it sound better (but that's my passion) yes you can and yes you've lost quality. but I'm an analogue all the way and "mix" in digital FX kind of guy. Both ideas are valid, IMO analogue sounds better so watch out for AD/DA conversions. However IRRC, MJMP said that intelliflex had true analogue pass through. I'm confused though why you would go through Microcab > amp > cabs ? the Microcab (as I understand it) is a very good cab sim designed to be plugged into studio record ins (no real cabs) or PA ins (as simulates cabs).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Metropolis

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

My MP1 sounds thin and lifeless without the MCII.  The MCII brings the tone to a completely new level in body, thickness of tone and depth.   I do like how it sounds very much,  however,  I do want to be able to have stereo reverb and delay patches that are midi selectable.
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

My MP1 sounds thin and lifeless without the MCII.  The MCII brings the tone to a completely new level in body, thickness of tone and depth.   I do like how it sounds very much,  however,  I do want to be able to have stereo reverb and delay patches that are midi selectable.
See, that´s why I was asking.....
The way you´ve set it up gives you stereo Reverb, Delay and (the amazing 8voice) Chorus of the Intellifex at the push of a Midi controller button...plus it quiets everything down in terms of unwanted noise with the Intellifex' HUSH before the poweramp.
If you like your tone, crank it  :metal:
Never change a running system/Don´t fix it if it ain´t broken/.........

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

As SC says, if it sounds good, then stay with it and crank it up  >:D . At the end of the day, it's your total rig end to end that produces the amplification you want and all the bits need to work together to produce that.

But to answer the question for yourself, try MP1 > MosValve > cab on it's own and crank it up loud (MosValve vols should be at least 3/4 and adjust overall vol with MP1 output), this should sound really good with plenty of headroom (albeit with no FX) but should definitely not be thin and lifeless, you may need to tweak the patches (so maybe set up a new bank to play around, copy patch 1 (Marshall) to the new bank (e.g. to 113)) and tinker a bit. Then I'd add the Intellifex, as you are chaining through it you need to get the input and output gain right so overall volume shouldn't change and mix in some effects, then introduce MCII to taste.
Or just not worry about it and enjoy  :thumb-up: though if MP1 sounds thin and lifeless without MCII, seems the patches could be better tweaked.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

RobbHell

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

It sounds better with your MC2 because its has Hi and Thump features similar to a BBE but not the same. Yes you losing in the AD/DA but if it sounds good f*ck it... what are you gonna do swap convertors in your Rocktron......nope.
Pages: [1]   Go Up