ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clean setting - band situation  (Read 9797 times)

gb

Re: Clean setting - band situation
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I would adjust volume at the preamp output, not at the power amp. :thumb-up:

Ok so my lexicon effects in 4cable method has input and out volumes too..so really what we are saying and please correct me if im wrong. .is perhaps set my mp1 at its loudest overall volume when direct to poweramp. .ans i mean really loud whereby you wouldnt go any louder and if anything youd turn it down... THEN balance the levels in the lexicon to match...THEN control over all rig volume by the output knob on the lexicon considering its the last out of the chain to hit the poweramp.. this way i have my loudest threshold. .almost too loud threshhold and i can adust depnding venue over all volume via lexicon.. i think thats right.. otherwise if im increasing the mo1 volume the lexicon while clip on the input stage i woukd inagine if its not levelled appropriately. ...i will have a play.. i thought id maxd out my power amp but forgot my mp1 is only at 11oclock lol and theres heaps more room to get a little louder..

I will take all the advice on board and have a play

gb

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Just to add the lexicon setup instructions does say play at your loudest .. so now i know how loud that is onbstage i can recalibrate levels to suit but ill give myself some extra head room to go up

gb

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Ok ive setup my 4cable lexicon and np1 with a much louder setting and over all volume. Still sounding good.

Question.. is the send out of the preamp the same level as the output A..eg 4cable method...the lexicon instructions say use the send out from ur amp. Ive always used the output A.. just wondering if there is a difference here.. im also using the input on the front of the mp1 rather than the retuen5..it didnt say in the manual to use return on the amp..just said input. Is there any difference here..?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey gb, as you get a good understanding of all the different levels and gain structure of each unit (as they all have different roles/jobs to play) you then can combine the accordingly.  There's a bit of mix and match involved with all the things you mentioned, so you have to understand each one so you can make sensible gain structure decisions about them (this goes with that at Susan's (you'll understand that quip no doubt  :facepalm: )).. And your questions and the various answers are helping you get your head around it all  :thumb-up: .
The Lexicon instructions re "use send" are based on using standard amp head (predominantly).  The send signal is typically line level but can often be set to inst (for stomp pedals) or line.  The Lex input can probably handle either level (hence input vol on lex to adjust so it has plenty of level to work with (and thus less noise compared to signal)).
I'm a little confused though, if you run 4 CM (ie chain through Fx to poweramp) then that means Guit > MP-1 input, MP-1 A/B outs > Lex L/R in, Lex L/R out > poweramp L/R in > 2 x cabs (or stereo cab), this is what the 4 cable method is (I call it chain through Fx). So you then balance your MP-1 out level with the Lex input (so plenty of signal at loudest patch but no clip (you DON'T want to clip Lex inputs, digital distortion is not pleasant)). Then as you said, use the Lex output control to drive poweramp. I'd run the Lex out as hi as poss without clipping the poweramp (again better signal to noise) and adjust overall vol with poweramp vols (in this particular set up scenario). An obviously use the wet/dry mix level in the Lex to balance how much Fx you want.
MP-1 Fx send level is adjustable between inst and line via the dual gang reverse level pot, as you turn it up the send level increases and the return level decreases (and vis versa), I'm not a fan of the MP-1 loop, it's hard to get right, it's designed to be usable for inst level stomp boxes OR line level Fx units (mixing and matching stomp boxes and line devices here is NOT a good idea).
MP-1 A/B outs are either inst level (if you have the original top switch version and select it) or line level and also includes the stereo chorus (which is added after the Fx return and where the MP-1 becomes stereo (well pseudo stereo).  If you are not running stereo  :dunno: , then that may be why you find the level drop slightly with chorus on (and you are missing some of the magic BTW) as half the chorus is going to B (albeit inverted).

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

gb

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Thanks R

I just remembered why i wasnt using the effects loop from the mp1.. it doesnt work well.. i get volume swells like low signal .. or not at all.. so im using the input on the front and the output on the back.

The lex manual says this.. Guitar -> lex guitar input.   Then Lexicon Send to MP1 input and Lex return to MP1 output. (actually it says to use the amp heads send etc.. but i figured this is the same thing with the preamp). Then output from lex unit to power amp.

The lex unit is set to Mono as im only using mono in and outs. .. the volume drop occurrs also on the MP1 using it on its own when you engage chorus so i assumed it was a "chorus" thing? I too thought the whole stereo thing but the unit is set to mono. No biggy.. not a concern right now

We will have to have a chat soon. I appreciate everyones time to help me .. Im such a noob but starting to understand more. I

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hey gb, I understand where they are coming from with the Lex but IMHO it's not the optimal way to do it (they weren't thinking of MP-1s...). Even if you stay mono (which I seriously encourage you to go stereo  >:D ), it's better (with MP-1 and its gain structure) to just chain through the Lex and let the MP-1 do it's thing properly.  Putting the MP-1 in the Lex loop (which is kind of what you are doing, like a distortion pedal stomp box) will work, but not as well (particularly re gain structure and there are other reasons).

Please try:- Guit > MP-1 > Lex > amp > cab, even in mono this will sound better  :thumb-up: .  Use the Lex just as Fx and let the MP-1 do it's stuff and make the cool tones (ie just what it was designed for). And if/when you make this stereo, it will just melt you  >:D (no chorus drop no cut through the mix problems just great guitar sounds).

gb

« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey gb, I understand where they are coming from with the Lex but IMHO it's not the optimal way to do it (they weren't thinking of MP-1s...). Even if you stay mono (which I seriously encourage you to go stereo  >:D ), it's better (with MP-1 and its gain structure) to just chain through the Lex and let the MP-1 do it's thing properly.  Putting the MP-1 in the Lex loop (which is kind of what you are doing, like a distortion pedal stomp box) will work, but not as well (particularly re gain structure and there are other reasons).

Please try:- Guit > MP-1 > Lex > amp > cab, even in mono this will sound better  :thumb-up: .  Use the Lex just as Fx and let the MP-1 do it's stuff and make the cool tones (ie just what it was designed for). And if/when you make this stereo, it will just melt you  >:D (no chorus drop no cut through the mix problems just great guitar sounds).

yes ive done it this way with my rocktron effects before. the only thing is the lex unit has built in effects that need to be in front of the preamp (like stomp boxes, wah and a few others). I do use the wah ( one less thing to put in the rack or on the floor as its built in. ). I have used it in the way you have said as it has presets specific for this method. It sounds somewhat similar with limitted effects choice due to running in series.

The stereo does sound great but doesnt do me any good when im only mic'd up to 1 speaker on my cab anyway. but i do agree it sounds soo much better with left and right speakers in stereo .. but unfortunately this is for home only.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey gb, while wah is ideally before the gain stages, it still works fine after, MikeB uses the wah in his GMaj2 after (as he runs 4CM) and it works fine  :thumb-up: also the stomp boxes will probably be fine after also.  You can still run stereo on stage with one mic, just put it in between the cabs and out a bit, not quite as good as 2 mics etc but better than straight mono, and on stage everyone will get the benefit  >:D which also washes out into the mix. The less you can do to affect the guitar signal before it hits MP-1 OD1 & 2 the better, and the better they will sound.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Yeah sorry gb, I wasn't aware you were running an effects processor. In that case rnolan is correct your output level on the processor would be your volume adjustment. You definitely don't want your input signal to clip the processor. I run multiple processors and the last one in the chain is my
output volume adjustment. I run.my G Major 2 in the fx loop of my rack mixer and the wah works just fine from there, but wah's do tend to sound better up front.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

gb

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

thanks guys. ok might relook into using the cab in stereo and 2 channels. I agree stereo sounds great but didnt think you could mic stage for stereo.

Im ok with the 4cm it works really well and the lexicon has true bypass so direct mp1 to power amp if i wish and after doing some comparisons with the lexicon in both ways .. it really does sound better the way it is .. i do use the built in analog stomp copies sometimes for boost in front fo the mp1 so it works well like this.i think i read somewhere you can change the effects loop to be series or parallel or something anyway not too fussed.

What ive done really is just increase the overall volume knob on the mp1 from 11oclock ish to now 2oclockishh.. and so i use the lexicon output to power amp as my volume control should i want to crank the power amp and leave it where it is. Alternatively i can play with both.. I definately dont have any clipping on the input or output sides (lexicon has meters for both so you can adjust levels).

Had a gig on friday nite (had increased mids on those patches).. i also disabled EQ in the lexicon patch in case it was actually reducing mids and be counter productive.. and the clean channel with chorus etc.. really came through on stage .. was great.. i really underestimated mids at loud volumes with band.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Cool  :whoohoo!: . MP-1 at 2 o'clock should be nice level for the Lex ins  :thumb-up: . You can mic stage for stereo or even sort of dual mono, the signal on MP-1 A and B are different, if IIRC B is inverted which gives it the pseudo stereo. Some argue that if the PA isn't stereo, why bother (I disagree), and some argue the PA shouldn't be stereo because of the room and only those in the middle will get the benefit (again I disagree).  I always run stereo guitar and PA. If you use 2 mics on the cabs, they don't have to be panned hard L/R in the mix.  Moreover, stereo Fx units sound sooo much better in stereo.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

GB - Glad you got it figured out. Always trust your ears with tone adjustments, no matter how bizarre the settings (or routing) may seem. That was a fun little project, now on to other things, like gassing for more gear  :banana-skipping-rope-smiley-e

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

So let me see if I'm getting this straight, since I'm still new to racks.  Adjust the volume on the MP1 to the desired level (I tend to prefer a cranked preamp), then adjust the input on your FX, in my case the MVII, and then the output as your overall desired tone from your cab?

Follow up question; does the output level on the MP1 function like a "channel volume" on a head, or is it always, I don't know, cranked?
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

MP-1 output volume sets the overall output from A/B outs, so like an overall master vol.  Channel vol on a head is similar to the master vol you assign in each patch.  So in essence, each patch is equivalent to separate amp channels, but you have 128 of them instead of just 2 or 3, on the preamp out put level is set by the output volume knob (so always "cranked" to what you set it to).
Assuming Guit > MP-1 > MVII > Amp > Cabs (ie 4CM)
So as you say, the A/B outs feed the Fx input (so you adjust MP-1 vol and Fx input to match).  Fx output then feeds the poweramp inputs L/R, so you control overall levels with either the Fx outs or the poweramp vol controls.  Driving the poweramp harder (Fx out up) will give better signal to noise/headroom into the poweramp, and then adjust overall cab level with poweramp.  In practice though it's probably easiest to turn up the poweramp to where you want it and adjust the Fx outs to suit, either way works...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up