ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIDI question - is there a channel or message to send loop in/out?  (Read 4446 times)

bloodspoint

Hi guys,

My MP-1 arrive last week, and I've been having a blast. I was too poor in the 80's and 90's to own one, so I'm really enjoying playing with one now.
I'm putting together a rack of derm, including the MP-1 (1.38), a Randall RRM2-80 amp, and for now anyway, a Quadraverb GT for delays and things. I have it hooked into the loop on the MP-1.

I also got a Behringer FCB-1010 foot controller, which just plugged in with no adjustments allows me to pick patches. I.e., hitting 3 then 4 gets me patch 34.
Since I'm primarily using the delay for solos, it would be nice to turn the loop on or off with a button. Does anyone know if that's possible, and if so, what "message" I'd need to send on which channel? I'm not super fluent in MIDI. I avoided it as much as possible over the years.

If I get really cheeky, I might see if I can send MIDI to control patches on the Quadraverb GT, as well.

Thanks!

bloodspoint

So, given some feedback on another thread that I've been thinking about this the wrong way, now it looks like I want to see if I can maybe use the FCB1010 to vary the mix on the Quadraverb GT, maybe via one of the expressions. I'm reading the manual for that thing now.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Keep in mind that the MP-1 can't do midi control changes only program changes.

Samuraipanda

I used to run almost the exact same setup but with my Mesa 295 as the power amp. The QVGT is a great unit. You will find better results running your path this way:

Guitar > MP1 > MP1 outs > QVGT > QV out(s) > power amp > speaker cab

The GT has a good noise gate as well. You can use your QVGT output knob as a master volume but also change volumes per patch. The cool thing is that you can go midi pedalboard > MP1 Midi In > MP1 Midi through > QVGT midi in and control both units simultaneously for patch change. They will be one off from each other for mapping. I don't know much about he midi continuous controllers on the pedalboard so I'll stay out of that topic.

bloodspoint

I used to run almost the exact same setup but with my Mesa 295 as the power amp. The QVGT is a great unit. You will find better results running your path this way:

Guitar > MP1 > MP1 outs > QVGT > QV out(s) > power amp > speaker cab

The GT has a good noise gate as well. You can use your QVGT output knob as a master volume but also change volumes per patch. The cool thing is that you can go midi pedalboard > MP1 Midi In > MP1 Midi through > QVGT midi in and control both units simultaneously for patch change. They will be one off from each other for mapping. I don't know much about he midi continuous controllers on the pedalboard so I'll stay out of that topic.

I may just need to play with the settings on the QGT, but when I run it this way, I get stereo, but it seems like the effects are much less audible than they were in the loop of the MP1. I need to spend some time with it, I guess.

Samuraipanda

If you want to use the GT in the loop, there is a in/out choice on the MP1 while editing the program for the effects loop.

bloodspoint

Well, I think I'm sold on the idea of ADA --> EFX --> Amp. But I'm still trying to find the eft unit I like. I'm having a weird problem where, if the patch on the MP1 is louder, I can't hear the delays on the QVGT. The menus on it are confusing, and I'm having problems finding a mix control. The MIDIverb II I also have has a from panel mix button, which is great, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the QVGT. I'm a little confused on some aspects of programming the MP1, too. Why, when I get into the voicing menu and try changing those values, does my audio go away altogether? It doesn't come back unless I switch patches and come back. Also, some patches are like, a factor of ten louder than others, and I can't figure out why.
This kind of thing is the reason I typically stick with a tube amp and a pedal or two. I really like the sounds I'm getting out of the MP1, but there's obviously a learning curve.
I'm picking up an Intellifex later, maybe that will be what I'm looking for.
Honestly, if the MP1 had a delay on board, I wouldn't want/need an efx unit.
BTW, don't know if this will work, but here's my rack of derm currently:

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.

When you change the Voicing during editing, the Master Volume resets to zero.  This prevents some unwanted and perhaps really loud surprises.  Just set the Master Vol back,up to where you need it after changing the Voicing.

You'll love the Intellifex.  Its reverbs, delays, and chorus really are awesome.  The flange is terrible though.

bloodspoint

When you change the Voicing during editing, the Master Volume resets to zero.  This prevents some unwanted and perhaps really loud surprises.  Just set the Master Vol back,up to where you need it after changing the Voicing.

You'll love the Intellifex.  Its reverbs, delays, and chorus really are awesome.  The flange is terrible though.

Ah, Bach! I didn't realize the thing about the volume changing. Thanks!

And I don't really use much in the way of effects other than delay, so that should be fine. That's part of the reason I wanted the Intellifex over using the QVGT or Chameleon I have. Fewer things to navigate around that I'm not using.

bloodspoint

UPDATE: The Intellifex is definitely the ticket. I get the effects I want, they sound great (even the flanger, IMO), and I don't get lost using it.
Anybody wanna buy a QVGT?
Pages: [1]   Go Up