ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1s for spare parts and crazy people around  (Read 15168 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP-1s for spare parts and crazy people around
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, I/we feel for you  :facepalm: :wave: .
With regard to unit versions (which I and MJMP posted before). V1.38 refers to the EPROM NOT the hardware build (although it is indicative to a degree as the early units were that version EPROM).
The v1 hardware build is discernible by it having the top inst/line level output switch and the line level rear jack input.  They are still good units (if they've been looked after) and it's an easy change to put in the later (last) v2.01 EPROM.
While the later hardware revision units came with later EPROM revisions (eg EPROM v2.00), the hardware changed a bit ie no top switch and rear jack input inst level (there were other minor differences as well  :dunno: IIRC from what MJMP and others have told us).
So don't necessarily discount/rule out the V1 hardware out of hand.  eg the unit I sold MikeB, it's v1 with top switch.  I bought it new in the day then did a gazillion gigs with it.  Along the way I put in a v2.00 EPROM and a pair of SPAX7 tubes (around 21 years ago).  Mike decided to give it a modernisation as they are getting quite old, so he got a bunch of bits from MJMP: So it got a new (stock) tube board (albeit with upgraded state of the art components), some new caps (noise mod, unfortunately electrolytic caps do die/degrade over time  :facepalm: ), MDRT (this wasn't essential but really opens up the units dynamics), rear jack mod (worth doing as it also replaces the front jack which gets 99% of the ware and tare), battery mod (no brainer, the original batteries are so old now, that they lasted so long is just amazing).  Mike also bough a complete set of jacks for the back panel (as MJMP still has them), he hasn't swapped them in yet. He also put a Mullard short plate re-issue in V1 and I gave him a SPAX7 for V2 that I had spare after my first MP-2 tube swap(s).

I get your frustration though, if only the seller(s) was/are honest about the unit and it should be priced accordingly.  I wouldn't expect to buy a MP-1 with nothing to do to it (unless it's already been done, and then I'd prefer to do any upgrades it needs).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

With regard to unit versions (which I and MJMP posted before). V1.38 refers to the EPROM NOT the hardware build (although it is indicative to a degree as the early units were that version EPROM).
The v1 hardware build is discernible by it having the top inst/line level output switch and the line level rear jack input.  They are still good units (if they've been looked after) and it's an easy change to put in the later (last) v2.01 EPROM.
While the later hardware revision units came with later EPROM revisions (eg EPROM v2.00), the hardware changed a bit ie no top switch and rear jack input inst level (there were other minor differences as well  :dunno: IIRC from what MJMP and others have told us).
So don't necessarily discount/rule out the V1 hardware out of hand.  eg the unit I sold MikeB, it's v1 with top switch.  I bought it new in the day then did a gazillion gigs with it.  Along the way I put in a v2.00 EPROM and a pair of SPAX7 tubes (around 21 years ago).  Mike decided to give it a modernisation as they are getting quite old, so he got a bunch of bits from MJMP: So it got a new (stock) tube board (albeit with upgraded state of the art components), some new caps (noise mod, unfortunately electrolytic caps do die/degrade over time  :facepalm: ), MDRT (this wasn't essential but really opens up the units dynamics), rear jack mod (worth doing as it also replaces the front jack which gets 99% of the ware and tare), battery mod (no brainer, the original batteries are so old now, that they lasted so long is just amazing).  Mike also bough a complete set of jacks for the back panel (as MJMP still has them), he hasn't swapped them in yet. He also put a Mullard short plate re-issue in V1 and I gave him a SPAX7 for V2 that I had spare after my first MP-2 tube swap(s).

That MP-1 should be an awesone unit...  :bow:
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

You can always rebuild a V1 mp-1 to V2 specs.

MikeB

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Yeah. It is.   :banana-rock:
I don't feel tardy!

Iperfungus

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Yeah. It is.   :banana-rock:

:banana: :banana: :banana:
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I get your frustration though, if only the seller(s) was/are honest about the unit and it should be priced accordingly.  I wouldn't expect to buy a MP-1 with nothing to do to it (unless it's already been done, and then I'd prefer to do any upgrades it needs).

Yeah for me I would "prefer" the later models over the 1.38s because I really need to have the ability to use the rear jack in my racks. But my biggest issue is the units we have bought that are non functioning or poorly operating and the seller NOT stating that! Claiming "Excellent Condition" and "Great Working Order" when they have issues is what I'm the most furious about.

I really would care at this point if the unit was a v1 hardward as long as the unit worked properly or was sold as simply as "May need work" or left channel dead, or volume pots do not function, basically any honest description of the actual condition of the unit.
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Iperfungus

« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

But my biggest issue is the units we have bought that are non functioning or poorly operating and the seller NOT stating that! Claiming "Excellent Condition" and "Great Working Order" when they have issues is what I'm the most furious about.

I really would care at this point if the unit was a v1 hardward as long as the unit worked properly or was sold as simply as "May need work" or left channel dead, or volume pots do not function, basically any honest description of the actual condition of the unit.

That's the point and the main reason of this thread.

I've to be honest: in these days, buying rack stuff again, I found only very good guys...none of them attempted to fool me and/or to sell their items at unfair prices.

Today I received the Behringer FCB1010: the guy I bought it from sent me a complete set of pictures and a 5 minutes video to let me see the REAL conditions of the item and that it's working fine.
It has scratches all around, having been used a lot...but it works...and it has che UNO chip 1.03 for the GMaj already installed and its original EPROM, original manuals (also for the UNO) and power cord.
He has been always honest about this points.
Paid 65 euros shipping included for it.

We exchanged some emails and a couple of phone calls: a good guy.
And I've to say the same about all the other ones I bought items from (the B200s is on its way like the 8008).

Does this mean that there are idiots no more around?
Of course no.
We've to be smart and pay attention to every detail when we buy used items online, unless we don't buy from people we know or from other Depot guys!  :green-banana-smiley-emoticon:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Yeah I'm feeling a lot better today after correspondence with MJMP about repair for some of these units for sure. I'm lucky I have a benefactor and he and I have purchased seven MP-1s in a month so we are seeing things in a different perspective because we have just had really bad luck with these MP-1 units.

I'm not just being greedy and being overly picking trying to buy up all these units - but I have one I call my Holy Grail and it is flawless and sounds incredible! I need a second rack for what I want to do and these other units I would not trust on the road or out of my house due to issues that need to be addressed. Several sound really good but all have had something weird about them other than my main one. But I'm feeling very grateful to have this forum which has knowledgeable people to help with them such as MJMP to hopefully make them more stable.

I will admit I would have never imagined this journey with all the MP-1s but I really do see it now that these things are obsolete. I'm a little envious of so many of you having your original units and not abandoning them like I did my original units back in the mid to late 90s.  :-[

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I'm a little envious of so many of you having your original units and not abandoning them like I did my original units back in the mid to late 90s.  :-[

Well...I sold my previous 1.38 many years ago, as I wrote somewhere.
I let a lot of time pass before I bought another MP-1 and I've been lucky with it and with the seller who is a honest guy.

What I would love to do in the future, if I will find one at a reasonable price, is to buy a MP-1 with issues and send it to MJMP for service, repair and some mods, keeping my 2.01 fully original as it is...but we'll see.  :banana-guitar:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

I'm a little envious of so many of you having your original units and not abandoning them like I did my original units back in the mid to late 90s.  :-[

Well...I sold my previous 1.38 many years ago, as I wrote somewhere.
I let a lot of time pass before I bought another MP-1 and I've been lucky with it and with the seller who is a honest guy.

What I would love to do in the future, if I will find one at a reasonable price, is to buy a MP-1 with issues and send it to MJMP for service, repair and some mods, keeping my 2.01 fully original as it is...but we'll see.  :banana-guitar:

Man that's a great idea! And sorry to hear you sold your original MP-1, but yeah I did the same thing  :facepalm:
 And I could have never imagined it being so hard to find these units in proper working order  :o I just figured, "Hey I'm gonna just jump back into my old rack glory days with a couple MP-1s" - BOY Has this been a journey!!!!  :o
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

I've seen those shops here sold their MP-1s...and I bet someone will start finding issues real soon...
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

I've seen those shops here sold their MP-1s...and I bet someone will start finding issues real soon...

Yeah I would to hear other stories of people here and recently purchased ADA issues!   :(
But we are lucky we have MJMP!!!   
    :banana:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Yeah I would to hear other stories of people here and recently purchased ADA issues!   :(

Well....I'm not sure those guys will subscribe to the Depot as we did, but you never know...
If they do, they'll find the right help here.  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Amen Brother!!  :thumb-up:

Well....I'm not sure those guys will subscribe to the Depot as we did, but you never know...
If they do, they'll find the right help here.  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

We have many guests who don't join, hopefully they have found some answers if they have issues  :thumb-up: :wave: . Sometimes the fix is easy (and normal maintenance eg new battery or tubes).  It's good that the posts are here so others can benefit.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up