ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1s for spare parts and crazy people around  (Read 15164 times)

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!

In these days we discussed a topic here and there with DJC, rnolan, MJMP and some other guys here: once you found a good MP-1, you could consider buying another one for spare parts.
A non working unit at a low price would be a good candidate, like this one:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/ADA-MP1-preamplificatore-audio-valvolare-tube-preamp-/222379976425?hash=item33c6e126e9:g:QgwAAOSwopRYfQUG

It doesn't work, but you can buy it for a few bucks and keep it for parts.
This would be a good deal, at the end...23 euros is currently the best offer...and I bet it will go for less than 40 euros.

I'm lucky enough to be relatively close (meaning that we're both located in Europe) to MJMP and I already bought from him some spare parts for my MP-1 (pots, battery holder + battery, a 2.01 EPROM).
If I would buy a 2nd MP-1 with issues at a reasonable price, I would rather sent it to MJPM for service and repair, to have it working right as a spare unit.  :headbanger:

Other people is not lucky as I am and would prefer to buy another unit for spare parts.
But there's a problem: crazy prices and crazy people (and crazy shops).

As I wrote, I bought a MP-1 in very good conditions for 190 euro, shipment included.
It's a very good price, I know...and the unit perfectly works.

By the way, I had a look around...and found these:

https://reverb.com/item/1595612-ada-mp-1-midi-programmable-tube-guitar-preamp-overdrive-chorus-vintage-rack

http://www.ebay.it/itm/ADA-MP-1-CLASSIC-MIDI-VALVE-PRE-AMP-UK-VOLTAGE-JUST-SERVICED-original-MANUAL-/122286113346?hash=item1c78d20242:g:wncAAOSwcLxYC1YY

http://www.ebay.it/itm/ADA-MP-1-3TM-3-TUBE-MOD-ULTRA-PLUS-TRANSFORMER-BASS-NOISE-MOD-FREE-USA-SHIPPING-/172477897511?hash=item28287bdb27:g:w5AAAOSw4GVYKMPB

http://www.ebay.it/itm/1980s-ADA-MP-1-Mutli-Effects-Unit-with-MC-1-Midi-Controller-all-Original-/281746781164?hash=item41996ab3ec:g:Er4AAOSwHnFVoSmL

http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_ada-mp-1-pre-distorsore-multieffetto-valvolare-midi-da-rack-ultimo-ribasso_id4804263.html

Seriously???

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I've read "it's in perfect conditions but clipping leds stays on until you flick them" or "it's like new but Output knob has some noise in it"...then it's not LIKE NEW....and those prices are crazy.

Then look at this one:

http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_ada-mp-1-preamp_id2795270.html

The seller is a shop here in Italy.
They wrote: in perfect condition, fully functional in all its parts.
200 euros.
Then you've a look at pictures and you'll see that:

1) the power cord has been cut and modified
2) the send/return loop is missing a jack
3) the Output Level pot is missing its knob
4) it's a 1.38 unit, so probably battery is dead...and maybe tubes are dead as well...these shops do not test stuff they sell!

:crazy:

One month ago I tried another in a shop near here.
Same price, same story: sold as brand new and noisy, with scratchy pots, missing screws, probably dead battery and so on.
It's still there in the shop, unsold.

Maybe I've been lucky a lot, having found my Mighty One at first try and at a good price, I don't know.
But why should I spend more than 200 euros for units with issues when I payed less for a perfectly working one?

I'm just wondering, generally speaking, what would be a reasonable price for a second unit one would keep for spare parts.

What do you think about, guys?

Are we the fools or there's plenty of crazy people around?

« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
Re: MP-1s for spare parts and crazy people around
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

In these days we discussed a topic here and there with DJC, rnolan, MJMP and some other guys here: once you found a good MP-1, you could consider buying another one for spare parts.
A non working unit at a low price would be a good candidate, like this one:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/ADA-MP1-preamplificatore-audio-valvolare-tube-preamp-/222379976425?hash=item33c6e126e9:g:QgwAAOSwopRYfQUG

It doesn't work, but you can buy it for a few bucks and keep it for parts.
This would be a good deal, at the end...23 euros is currently the best offer...and I bet it will go for less than 40 euros.

I'm lucky enough to be relatively close (meaning that we're both located in Europe) to MJMP and I already bought from him some spare parts for my MP-1 (pots, battery holder + battery, a 2.01 EPROM).
If I would buy a 2nd MP-1 with issues at a reasonable price, I would rather sent it to MJPM for service and repair, to have it working right as a spare unit.  :headbanger:

Other people is not lucky as I am and would prefer to buy another unit for spare parts.
But there's a problem: crazy prices and crazy people (and crazy shops).

As I wrote, I bought a MP-1 in very good conditions for 190 euro, shipment included.
It's a very good price, I know...and the unit perfectly works.

By the way, I had a look around...and found these:

https://reverb.com/item/1595612-ada-mp-1-midi-programmable-tube-guitar-preamp-overdrive-chorus-vintage-rack

http://www.ebay.it/itm/ADA-MP-1-CLASSIC-MIDI-VALVE-PRE-AMP-UK-VOLTAGE-JUST-SERVICED-original-MANUAL-/122286113346?hash=item1c78d20242:g:wncAAOSwcLxYC1YY

http://www.ebay.it/itm/ADA-MP-1-3TM-3-TUBE-MOD-ULTRA-PLUS-TRANSFORMER-BASS-NOISE-MOD-FREE-USA-SHIPPING-/172477897511?hash=item28287bdb27:g:w5AAAOSw4GVYKMPB

http://www.ebay.it/itm/1980s-ADA-MP-1-Mutli-Effects-Unit-with-MC-1-Midi-Controller-all-Original-/281746781164?hash=item41996ab3ec:g:Er4AAOSwHnFVoSmL

http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_ada-mp-1-pre-distorsore-multieffetto-valvolare-midi-da-rack-ultimo-ribasso_id4804263.html

Seriously???

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I've read "it's in perfect conditions but clipping leds stays on until you flick them" or "it's like new but Output knob has some noise in it"...then it's not LIKE NEW....and those prices are crazy.

Then look at this one:

The seller is a shop here in Italy.
They wrote: in perfect condition, fully functional in all its parts.
200 euros.
Then you've a look at pictures and you'll see that:

1) the power cord has been cut and modified
2) the send/return loop is missing a jack
3) the Output Level pot is missing its knob
4) it's a 1.38 unit, so probably battery is dead...and maybe tubes are dead as well...these shops do not test stuff they sell!

:crazy:

One month ago I tried another in a shop near here.
Same price, same story: sold as brand new and noisy, with scratchy pots, missing screws, probably dead battery and so on.
It's still there in the shop, unsold.

Maybe I've been lucky a lot, having found my Mighty One at first try and at a good price, I don't know.
But why should I spend more than 200 euros for units with issues when I payed less for a perfectly working one?

I'm just wondering, generally speaking, what would be a reasonable price for a second unit one would keep for spare parts.

What do you think about, guys?

Are we the fools or there's plenty of crazy people around?

OK Brother now you see what I have been going through for the last month  >:(  people selling these things in "MINT CONDITION" and "Excellent for it's Age" and this is why the seventh MP-1 is coming to us Tuesday!
 And you are correct Sir, having a second or even third unit is a must I say because we know you can't get parts. And if you are handy with a soldering iron and take your time you can do your own repairs with all the invaluable information right here on this forum.

I would say $100.00 at the most for a none working MP-1, not sure what that comes out to in euros.

But here's a promise I will give each and every member of this forum; any of the MP-1s I decide to sell on EBAY, not Reverb, I will let you all know on here first and give a FULL and accurate description of the unit and why I'm selling it. My handle on everything including Ebay is my name, "Dannyjoe Carter" and you can look up my perfect feedback history of 20 years on there with not one negative feedback ever!!!!!!

We need this forum and can try and help others on here look out for each other not have to go through what I and others have gone through in purchasing these tone monsters!  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I had a quick look the other night because Richie_B could use a decent unit while he sorts out his chorus issues.  The couple I saw were going to cost over $1200 AUD to land them here WTF, and sending them back from Australia if there's an issue  :facepalm: .  We have a buy/sell section, only members can post, and generally people are honest here and offer fair prices, hey the unit owes you what it owes you and postage is just what it is (f&cking expensive to Australia  :facepalm: ).

In all my time involved with the depot and ADA gear, I've never come across so many reports of dud units before.  Sure tubes are old(er), battery may need doing, caps are getting a bit noisy.. but how do people let their gear get that bad and then try to palm it off as good..
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

You see guys...the main reason I started this thread is sharing opinions and information.

I trust everyone of you, so I would not need any other feedback if I wanted to buy something from you.
I'm sure you would be more than clear about what you'd like to sell.

But I wouldn't trust some other people that easily.
And I trust many shops also less, specially when they are online selling used items and it's clear that they did not test them, they don't know them or both.

At the end, I've done the right choice when I left that MP-1 in the shop or when I decided to buy not modified MP-1s.
As I already wrote, I refuse modified units mainly because sellers write "mods done by the most qualified techs" but they do not tell WHO these people are.
I would spend 400 euros for that MP-1 Ultra+ because MJPM did the work there and I perfectly know I can trust him and his name is the best warranty.
But I woulnd't spend 250 euros for a unit modified by who knows who and how.

As Richard stated and Danny discovered himself, it looks that in these times is very easy to buy damaged or non working units and this is a shame, because the MP-1 is one of the best MIDI tube preamps ever made and its fame doesn't deserve this.
Furthermore, people is not honest in many cases.

" but how do people let their gear get that bad and then try to palm it off as good.."

Well, they try...and if they find the right buyer...

What made me decide to buy my MP-1?
A couple of phone calls with the seller.  :lol:
He has always been fair in his emails, sending pictures where I've seen that the unit was in good conditions.
Then we spoke and it has been clear to me I could trust him.

On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Well some people know what they are doing when they do the mods them self but there are also a lot of people that don't and they can mess up their mp-1's pretty good.I've seen it all  ::)

Chamai

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

bought my first MP1 v1.38 all stock 2 years ago for $250 CAD. really good condition, a few scratches on top. found another in rougher condition a month later and picked it up for $150. this one had the v2.01 chip and i plan on using it as a spare. the battery on the spared died first heh. always have an extra one. these things are getting rarer and you don't know when you will come across one.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Well some people know what they are doing when they do the mods them self but there are also a lot of people that don't and they can mess up their mp-1's pretty good.I've seen it all  ::)

Amen! I found that out the hard way  >:(  I can only imagine the stories you could share MJMP  :o
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Look at this:

Until yesterday it was on sale for 199 euros....today 209...
Same shop, same MP-1, same everything.  :dunno:
Why they raised the price up? Can we trust shops???

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

And this one:

http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_ada-mp1_id4432213.html

Pictures where you cannot see the power supply cord...probably because it has been shortened?

How can you trust this people???
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Amen! I found that out the hard way  >:(  I can only imagine the stories you could share MJMP  :o

+1

And since you cannot know if mods have been done by skilled people or complete idiots, I would prefer stock units.
Unless I do not read MJMP name...  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

bought my first MP1 v1.38 all stock 2 years ago for $250 CAD. really good condition, a few scratches on top. found another in rougher condition a month later and picked it up for $150. this one had the v2.01 chip and i plan on using it as a spare. the battery on the spared died first heh. always have an extra one. these things are getting rarer and you don't know when you will come across one.

Yep, that would be a good idea to have one more as a spare unit.
But you've to be sure you're not getting a completely crappy item...  :lol:
And this is what is becoming harder and harder, it seems.

I'm monitoring some MP-1s here in Italy... I will see...
As soon as I will find a good one for a reasonable price, I'll get it!  :banana-rock:
Luckily my MP-1 works fine and I've got some spare parts from MJMP already, so I can take my time.
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

You're to only one I would send my MP-1 to in case it would need service or repair I cannot do by myself.
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

(it looks that in these times is very easy to buy damaged or non working units and this is a shame, because the MP-1 is one of the best MIDI tube preamps ever made and its fame doesn't deserve this) Absolutely  :facepalm: , +1  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

OK guys I have posted this pic in another thread and this goes right along with what we have been talking about in reference to buying MP-1s or ADA gear in general. I have mentioned that my buddy and I as of yesterday have purchase seven MP-1s in the last month.
 This unit was supposedly in excellent condition other than a slight crackle in the front output knob and supposed to be a 2.01. Well it arrived and found it was a 1.38 with a 2.01 eprom as well as the output NOT functioning at all, along with the front input jack barely working and having to prop it up to make it work. Also the left channel has no output. First off we would have never bought a 1.38 because of the jack issues and NOT having a rear jack.
 Also the unit had almost NO output because of two very bad tubes!  >:( 

So I replaced the tubes with two new JJs and fired it up and is sounds AMAZING! However I'm very unhappy with the seller for the way it was listed and being dishonest. This unit at best will have to be babied and will be very temperamental but we are going to keep it anyway.  :-\
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Good that the last MP-1 sounds amazing after tubes rolling.
Do you like JJs there?  :banana-jazz-smiley-emoticon:

Now both channels/outputs work fine?
Will be this your spare one?
Issues can be fixed...  :thumb-up:

Anyway, seller has been...mmmmmh.....let me think....  :poop: :poop: :poop:

This is what keeps me away from buying another one now: too high prices and dishonest sellers.
If that shop near me would lower the price of that MP-1 I've tried, maybe I could buy it...but I bet they will not.
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Good that the last MP-1 sounds amazing after tubes rolling.
Do you like JJs there?  :banana-jazz-smiley-emoticon:

Now both channels/outputs work fine?
Will be this your spare one?
Issues can be fixed...  :thumb-up:

Anyway, seller has been...mmmmmh.....let me think....  :poop: :poop: :poop:

This is what keeps me away from buying another one now: too high prices and dishonest sellers.
If that shop near me would lower the price of that MP-1 I've tried, maybe I could buy it...but I bet they will not.

Well guys this little celebration of the seventh MP-1 is short lived  :facepalm:
 Even with the new JJs, which I like Iperfungus, the issues with this unit are too much and the whole "Excellent Condition" is really under my skin to the point where were are returning this unit!!!!  >:(  Dead channels, volume drops along with very fizzy gain that cleans up for awhile then when the unit gets hot it sounds better then gets bad again along with no ability to adjust the volume from ANY outside knobs, only the internal Master Volume out digital control.  :poop:

I'm really sick of this stuff with sellers claiming the great working condition of the ADA MP-1 ones when they really are in poor shape, sorry but I'm venting and I'm pissed! The clown that sold me my "Holy Grail" MP-1 and I asked all of your opinions on how to rate him as a seller, at the end of the day sold me and shipped a Dead On Arrival unit and knowing this full well made his money and didn't think twice about it. It was only because of how incredible it sounded and that because of knowledge this forum shared with me and my electronic skills I was able to make it work.
 Someone like my dear friend Jason, or many others that are not familiar with this forum or do not have the electronic knowledge to repair these units would have been burned! This is a non functioning unit a non functioning unit and this is the seventh one we have bought!!

Sorry guys this is just incredibly frustrating; and yes I know I have a "Holy Grail" unit that I'm very happy with but I still need a second unit for my backup rig. The other two units my Brother Jason is going to use in his racks so I'm still in need of a second "proper working " unit.

Again sorry for the rant - over and out for now.
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up