ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MP 1 and tubes! Which ones, and why  (Read 32491 times)

Rawk777

Re: MP 1 and tubes! Which ones, and why
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I did not try mullards yet, but tung-sol are really nice for my mp2. Sounds clear, aggressive, defined, precise. The mesa tube sounded muddier, smoother, tamed... more mids... I think some could hear them as richer sounding.

This video might help you hear the differences between tubes (at least tungsol, jj and mesa) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMeCNjkEaeM
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rawk777 »

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, a rabbit hole it is LoL. One of the very interesting things is how the MP-1/2 circuits react to different tubes.  Obviously they were designed around the original Chinese bottles, which are great tubes and very fit for purpose.
All my MP2s' (I have 4, and they all sound different even with the same tubes) have Mullard Longs plates in them, I was completely gobsmacked how they transformed the MP-2 (but they are very (very) articulate and show off every nuance of your playing (good and not so good  :facepalm: , hasn't bothered me but it's a consideration for MP-2 owners). MikeB said the Mullard short plate is similar in this respect BTW.
In the MP-1, I found the Boogie SPAX7s (JJs ??) work very well.  MikeB has gone for Mullard short plate in V1 and SPAX7 (JJ) in V2 of his MP-1.  This combo (I know from what my ears tell me) sounds good.
I've recently acquired a couple of MP-1s (the US version one works so far... I'll definitely try the Mullard long plates in it(them)..

Yeah it surprised me how much different tubes affected various MP-1 ones - very much a mystery to me for sure!!
 You have me very interested in trying the Mullard long plates - just gotta hear how this affects the overall tone. However I'm sure they will react differently in different units but still curious.  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Well we/you can talk about it forever or just buy a pair of Mullard LPs and see/hear what you think (~$50). I'll put my neck on the line and say you won't hate them, are they what you want ? will they blow you away (as they did me)  :dunno: . You may find they are too articulate for you and show up your mistakes too much  :dunno: (though I doubt it with you 2 LoL).
What I wouldn't advise is Boogie SPAX7s (JJs SPs) in an MP-2, they are fine except they fart (my experience with them) on the bottom E (which is unfortunate as they have the best feedback mmm).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I did not try mullards yet, but tung-sol are really nice for my mp2. Sounds clear, aggressive, defined, precise. The mesa tube sounded muddier, smoother, tamed... more mids... I think some could hear them as richer sounding.

This video might help you hear the differences between tubes (at least tungsol, jj and mesa) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMeCNjkEaeM

Wowowowowowow!

I love the JJs alone there....but with bass and drums the TungSols are winners!

Mesa tubes have too much compression and muddy mids.

Even if it would be nice to see amp settings for each tubes test...
On the run again!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Well we/you can talk about it forever or just buy a pair of Mullard LPs and see/hear what you think (~$50). I'll put my neck on the line and say you won't hate them, are they what you want ? will they blow you away (as they did me)  :dunno: . You may find they are too articulate for you and show up your mistakes too much  :dunno: (though I doubt it with you 2 LoL).
What I wouldn't advise is Boogie SPAX7s (JJs SPs) in an MP-2, they are fine except they fart (my experience with them) on the bottom E (which is unfortunate as they have the best feedback mmm).

Yeah articulate is what I love, which forces you become a better player  ;D
 And I'm not really procrastinating, I locked every word you have said rnolan and advice in my noodle  ;D  it's just that I have bought even more gear and I'm getting my "complete" rack system together then I will make little tone tweaks here and there.  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

From personal experience, Mullard RI's in the MP-1 are a great choice. I've had both the re-issues and a pair of NOS Mullards in mine and the difference between the two are like night and day. The original Mullards make the MP-1 ROAR, and you can hear everything in your playing, but they are super-expensive these days.
    The re-issues can make the MP-1 come to life a lot more, the clarity is greatly improved without losing anything when you overdrive it. The only trouble with the re-issues I've found is how long will they last?
   Currently in my Mp-1, I have JJ ECC803's in it. They're not too bad, but I haven't really sat down to experiment enough with them to be able to give a good review at this time. I will be getting to that in the not too distant future, ( I hope), and I'll post specific reviews on each type of tube I'm trying out and in which preamp.
   I can say without a doubt that in my 3TM Mp-1, I have a set of Ruby Tubes 12AX7AC7 HG's and they are SMOKIN'!!! I'll be ordering another pair of those to try in the original MP-1 as they might be close to the original Chinese tubes that were in it.
    On the list to audition in my preamps are:

Tung-Sol Gold pin 12AX7's
    Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7's

It should prove interesting

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

From personal experience, Mullard RI's in the MP-1 are a great choice. I've had both the re-issues and a pair of NOS Mullards in mine and the difference between the two are like night and day. The original Mullards make the MP-1 ROAR, and you can hear everything in your playing, but they are super-expensive these days.
    The re-issues can make the MP-1 come to life a lot more, the clarity is greatly improved without losing anything when you overdrive it. The only trouble with the re-issues I've found is how long will they last?
   Currently in my Mp-1, I have JJ ECC803's in it. They're not too bad, but I haven't really sat down to experiment enough with them to be able to give a good review at this time. I will be getting to that in the not too distant future, ( I hope), and I'll post specific reviews on each type of tube I'm trying out and in which preamp.
   I can say without a doubt that in my 3TM Mp-1, I have a set of Ruby Tubes 12AX7AC7 HG's and they are SMOKIN'!!! I'll be ordering another pair of those to try in the original MP-1 as they might be close to the original Chinese tubes that were in it.
    On the list to audition in my preamps are:

Tung-Sol Gold pin 12AX7's
    Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7's

It should prove interesting

Harley 8)

Awesome, more good tube info here Harley, thanks for sharing!!!
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

That's why we're here Danny :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Mmm might try a set of those AC7's in my 3TM

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Mmm might try a set of those AC7's in my 3TM

I kind of like what I'm getting from the 3TM with those, but I still have a lot of experimenting to do with that preamp. I haven't had a lot of time or opportunity to sit down with it and do  the kind of tweaking I need to do with that and the MP-1. My intention is to use them both in one system. The 3TM for certain lead tones, and the MP-1 for everything else, but that may change. Kind of like my Classic and MP-2 rigs. I was doing the same thing there, but decided each rig had it's own merits for both rhythm and lead tones.

Harley 8)

Iperfungus

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

About tubes rolling, I've done some other test yesterday.

At the moment, the couple I love more in my MP-1 is a TAD 7025 HG in V1 and an original chinese 12AX7A in V2.

I've tested the following combinations:

-1 V1 = TAD 7025s HG V2 = TAD 7025 HG
-2 V1 = TAD 7025 HG V2 = TAD 7025s HG
-3 V1 = TungSol 12AX7 V2 = TAD 7025 HG
-4 V1 = TAD 7025 HG V2 = TungSol 12AX7
-5 V1 = TungSol 12AX7 V2 = TAD 7025 HG
-6 V1 = TAD 7025 HG V2 = TungSol 12AX7
-7 V1 = TAD 7025s HG V2 = original chinese 12AX7A
-8 V1 = TAD 7025 HG V2 = original chinese 12AX7A

Results:

-1 nice combination, good gain, typical MP-1 tone but a little bit noisy and with slighlty gummy basses
-2 better than the above, same gain, less noise and with firm and thick basses
-3 not so exciting...I don't like the TungSol 12AX7 in rack units...they tend to be flat and harsh, a little less gain
-4 not so exciting...I don't like the TungSol 12AX7 in rack units...they tend to be flat and harsh, a little less gain
-5 not so exciting...I don't like the TungSol 12AX7 in rack units...they tend to be flat and harsh, a little less gain
-6 not so exciting...I don't like the TungSol 12AX7 in rack units...they tend to be flat and harsh, a little less gain
-7 very good combination...very good gain...but with slighlty gummy basses (I assume this is the TAD 7025s with high gain)
-8 the best combination: very good gain, low noise, firm and thick basses, articulated cleans

Since original tubes have more than 20 years and I don't know how much they have been used, I'm not sure I can rely on them.
I will buy a couple of TAD 12AX7A-C (RT001) to be tested in V1 and V2 as SC suggested and for V2 , to be combined with the TAD 7025 in V1.
TAD suggests this combination as well:

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_TAD_Premium_Tubes_TAD_Pre_Amp_Tubes_SELECTED/12AX7A_C_ECC83_TAD_Premium_Selected_7025_12AX7WA_E83CC_391

But I will buy tubes from Banzai, since they cost a lot less...

http://www.banzaimusic.com/TAD-12AX7A-C-ECC83.html

I will buy Ruby's JJs from Banzai as well:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Ruby-Tubes-12AX7ACZ-H.G.-TESLA-JJ.html

I want to try them!  :banana-upsidedown:

@rnolan: did you tested Mullard RI LPs on your MP-1 yet? Do you love them there as in MP-2? I would love to test them, buy they would cost 50 to 64 euros for a couple...and I would be sure that it really worth a try in MP-1...  :thumb-up:

« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

I am changing that list of tubes to try out, the new list is:

Jan Philips 12AX7WA
      Ruby Tubes 12AX7AC7 HG+
      Ruby Tubes 12AX7AC5 HG+

Why?
      Because the 12AX7AC5 HG+ is also marketed as TAD 7025 S, and as Gold Lion Standard Pin 12AX7.
      The other reason is because both of the HG+ tubes are match for the V1 slot in the preamp, and this could be the missing element in my case.
      The Jan Philips tubes are something I want to try out in the Classic, possibly the MP-2 as well.

Harley 8)

Iperfungus

« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

At the moment I'm going for:

1) Ruby's 12AX7ACZ H.G. TESLA/JJ
2) TAD 12AX7A-C / ECC83 (RT001)
3) maybe a couple of TungSol 12AX7, since I didn't tested 2 of them in MP-1 yet

I'm very, very curious about the Mullard RI LPs...but a couple of them would cost as 2 Ruby's + 2 TADs...and if in the end I will not like them...  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Did someone tested those Mullards in a MP-1 for long time?
On the run again!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey Max, I haven't had a chance to try the LPs in MP-1 myself yet, both SC and Harley have.  Harley likes them IIRC but had some issues with their longevity (not been a problem for me in MP-2 which is a much higher gain preamp than MP-1). You can get them here (http://tubeaudio.com.au/mullard-12ax7) for $30AUD (~ 22 Euros).
Lately I've been playing bass with the band and mostly using the MB-1 in my studio rack (but a couple of loud plays with my live (hybrid MP-2/MB-1) rack.  The MB-1 in my live rack has LPs in it  >:D , as does my first (original) MP-2 (actually all my (4) MP-2s have LPs  :thumb-up: ).  Mike has been using my live rig a rehearsals as his GMaj2 blew a fuse (and then a replacement fuse). IMO MP-2 is a better preamp than MP-1 (recently reinforced by listening to Mike playing through it, direct comparison, and I played a couple of songs on guitar last night (until the neighbors knocked on the door  :facepalm: ).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey Max,

I've had a few Mullard RI's in my MP-1, Groove Tubes, (12AX7M), and the New Sensor Mullards, and found the New Sensor to not have as much punch as the GTs. I have found a pair of NOS Mullards, made in Great Britain, but they are very expensive. I am considering it though, since the MP-1 really came to life with those GTs in it.

Harley 8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up